• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Now, my question would be: Can I fix this ? Should I be looking for a new balance wheel for this movement and is it worh it ? Should I take the opportunity to be looking for a new movement ? with one ?
I would very much appreciate any feedback/answers.
Personally I'd just replace the movement. But that's because I have zero movement repair skills, and doubt I will ever need them while movements remain cheap enough to just swap out!

djulink

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/14
Personally I'd just replace the movement. But that's because I have zero movement repair skills, and doubt I will ever need them while movements remain cheap enough to just swap out!

Thanks for your feedback, that is one of the option I know I have but would you have something in mind ?
I'm more looking for a movement ref : I've been searching for an Hangzhou GMT 2836 already but wanted to know if alternatives do exist.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Thanks for your feedback, that is one of the option I know I have but would you have something in mind ?
I'm more looking for a movement ref : I've been searching for an Hangzhou GMT 2836 already but wanted to know if alternatives do exist.

You could put in a dg3804 for a more correct beat rate. It would require modding the dial feet and a new hand-set, except the gmt hand which will swap.

djulink

4/9/14
You could put in a dg3804 for a more correct beat rate. It would require modding the dial feet and a new hand-set, except the gmt hand which will swap.

Thanks for the movement ref. info, I had plan to change the dial anyway but was in the idea to keep the handset.

Would you know if the DG3804 also use a "jumping" GMT hand (as the ref movement use)?

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Thanks for the movement ref. info, I had plan to change the dial anyway but was in the idea to keep the handset.

Would you know if the DG3804 also use a "jumping" GMT hand (as the ref movement use)?

The gmt hand on dg3804 doesn’t jump, it adjusts like a regular hand.

djulink

4/9/14
The gmt hand on dg3804 doesn’t jump, it adjusts like a regular hand.

Ok, even if I know it is not accurate to have the jumping one for this ref, I find it’s quite convenient.

On a more high quality what would you (even though I learnt that there is no real GMT ETA so to speak but only modded one with a chinese mode gear), or anyone else, could suggest?

Thanks

Last edited:

djulink

4/9/14

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Hi Gents,

I've made contact with TS to see if they had a replacement movement; they answered and cost is 153$... (I'v found few others 2836 GMT modified for around that price on the bay, sometimes more):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Watches-fo...960446?hash=item1efc5cd23e:g:Lu8AAOSwAfVbtPht
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Watches-fo...960446?hash=item1efc5cd23e:g:Lu8AAOSwAfVbtPht

What do you guys think ?

(I'm in need of my GMT, but am backed-up at the moment by Submariner Power)

Does it come with the roulette wheel!? :)
Seems like a decent enough price, unless they want another $30 for shipping and add dodgy processing fees, then you’re better off buying on ebay. Helenarou sells them for $130.00 but is currently out of stock, you might email MK and ask when they expect to get more. Also try messaging eBay seller: bosshua007 and ask if he can get you one.

djulink

4/9/14
Many Thanks for the intel

(I'm in need of my GMT... but it's Submariner Power Time)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I see that Kuvarsit are now offering what looks very much like the same 6542 as a "handbuilt" watch. I won't post a direct link as they're not a TD here (they are on RG though) and I've never bought from them so I don't want to appear to endorse them in any way. I found it by chance, as I was idly browsing watch sites using the search term "vintage".

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Also try messaging eBay seller: bosshua007 and ask if he can get you one.
I always like to add eBay sellers that are recommended on the forum to my saved eBay sellers/stores for future use - but bosshua007 isn't showing up when I search for that name on eBay. Do they have an eBay store? Thanks Hor-Fan.

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
I see that Kuvarsit are now offering what looks very much like the same 6542 as a "handbuilt" watch. I won't post a direct link as they're not a TD here (they are on RG though) and I've never bought from them so I don't want to appear to endorse them in any way. I found it by chance, as I was idly browsing watch sites using the search term "vintage".

Do you mean https://kuvarsit04.com/gmt-master-ii...nd-made-watch/

Oops! I guess I posted the link. What a shame if people were to order from them instead of those other capitalist pigs

P.S. I still think they shaft their customers with that price (if the watch is the same) but at least they use lube, unlike TS

Last edited:
Reactions: itgoes211

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
Hoooooold up. This is completely different watch to the one sold by TS. Look at the shape + dial and insert. Has anyone ordered this one?
86f665a4b76b02a48ede0de47e3a77f4.jpg
DSC_0069_a3w8-y7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: itgoes211

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Looks like the same watch to me except for the dial. The pics you posted were taken from a slightly different angle but after looking at the other pics, it looks the same. Lugs are still too long, insert looks identical or from the same source. I wish the insert was not lumed, the numerals would look better without the greenish hue in daylight. Bezel teeth are shallow and look sharp. Same folded bracelet, same clasp.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Same watch and same high end price

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I must admit I didn't even notice the single thing I disliked about the TS version was gone on the Kuvarsit one - the Serpico e Laino logo on the dial! I just quickly spotted the over-length lugs and hot-footed it straight here to report in.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Oh, and of course removing - even "delicately" - the stem did jeopardize the keyless...

Well tell me about it. I had to reset the keyless twice after modding mine (changed the tube for a good one, sealed crystal and adjusted the movement to +2s/d).

I realised that the keyless is way less temperamental if you remove the stem when in the winding position. Most people recommend getting it out from the time setting position but every time I've done that on an ETA I have invariably messed up the keyless when putting the stem back. I guess the position of the gears is not the best...

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Looks like the same watch to me except for the dial. The pics you posted were taken from a slightly different angle but after looking at the other pics, it looks the same. Lugs are still too long, insert looks identical or from the same source. I wish the insert was not lumed, the numerals would look better without the greenish hue in daylight. Bezel teeth are shallow and look sharp. Same folded bracelet, same clasp.

I can tell you from experience that bezel is like a callous remover, you can't touch it without removing a little skin, That said I like mine.

IMG_0553a07b23517c653944.jpg