• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Silky Smooth Rolex Bracelet Pictorial: Spa Treatment

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Hey all,

I just thought i'd post up some pictures I took while giving my GMT II bracelet the spa treatment. I've blended two different techniques that I have previously heard about on the forums into what I think works even better.

What You Will Need:

- A flat-head screwdriver in order to undo one of your bracelet links. You can also use a knife tip or even the ends of your tweezers for this (I have used both before) but I would advise you go with the screw driver since it is a lot easier and you will avoid scratches

- A zip-lock bag

- Tweezers: you wont need these if you have the special device needed to remove the spring-bars. If you don't have the tool, tweezers work great!

- Baby Oil

- Vaseline

- Disposable Gloves: Trust me it gets messy otherwise

Gear1_zpsr9ocqsay.jpg

1. Disconnect the Clasp

Undo one of your link screws in order to disconnect one half of your bracelet from the other, this will make handling the watch and undoing the spring-bars much easier.

BraceletDetach_zpsdytl4bsd.jpg

2. Remove Spring-Bars

You'll have to widen the gap between your tweezers a bit for this, which is perfect since it creates a bit of it's own resistance, this comes in handy. Place the corner of your tweezer-edge into holes on either side of your SELs and try to grip the ribs of the spring bars (this may take a bit of practice but after the first one it's easy!) Squeeze the tweezers in order to remove the lock between the lugs and SEL and with your other hand pull the bracelet to separate from the case. Quickly slide the spring bar out from the SEL in order to avoid it shooting out and keep it somewhere safe. Do the same for the other side. Your bracelet should now be separated from your case and in two pieces.

SpringBarTweezers_zpsajubaipk.jpg

WatchParts_zpsbggezf65.jpg

3. Clean the Bracelet

Fill up a bowl or container with a mixture of warm water and detergent. Drop the bracelet into the solution and work the links for a bit to remove lodged dirt. leave it in the solution for another 10 minutes and then work the links again. Remove the bracelet, rinse with water and dry it.

DetergentBath_zpsfbh69lyb.jpg

4. Baby Oil Bath

Drop the bracelet into one of your zip-locks and add baby oil until the bracelet is submerged. Seal up the bag and again start to work the links and move the bracelet around. Set the bag aside overnight or longer if you wish. In the morning remove the bracelet from the bag and rinse off the baby oil with water - you should find the bracelet will be a lot more flexible and a softer feel to it, while also having a nice satin sheen to it and a great smell!

BabyOilBag_zpsfaczjcp3.jpg

5. Coat it With Vaseline

This is where the magic really starts! Once your bracelet has been rinsed of the excess baby oil and dried grab your Vaseline and a disposable glove (this sounds like it is heading in the wrong direction, but bear with me!). Scoop up a generous amount of Vaseline and start massaging it into the bracelet, you can work the links again if you wish. Now place the Vaseline coated bracelet into your second zip-lock bag and set aside for a few hours (even an hour is fine)

Vaseline_zpsk9op73ef.jpg

VaselineMassage_zps0xfs9hty.jpg

VaselineBag_zpshptfpfvd.jpg

6. Clean and Re-attach

Clean off the excess Vaseline with a towel, make sure you try to get into the crevices as it can be uncomfortable to find bits of missed Vaseline on your wrist later. Once the bracelet is cleaned, do the same thing with the spring bars and re-attach your bracelet.

7. Enjoy!

You should not find that the bracelet has the beautiful satin-sheen from the baby-oil but with a much more gen-like feel to it from the Vaseline. You're getting the best of both worlds. And even better yet, your bracelet should now be a lot cleaner!

Let me know if it works for you, and post up some pics of your slick new bracelets :D

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alternate Solutions:

Here are a few alternate solutions posted in the responses to this thread:

- [MENTION=9347]P4GTR[/MENTION] has a great thread up and he - with many other members - swear by Rock'n'Roll White Lightning dry lube

I applaud your effort, but have you ever tried rock n roll or white lightning dry lube? I give you bonus points for the vaseline dunked finger pic, but I am the original lube master! P4GTR's Bracelet Rattle Fix :p4gtr:

- @Mech500 has an interesting suggestion, swapping out the oil and Vaseline with shampoo!

I personally ain't keen on the whole oil bath and Vaseline treatment particularly on hollow link bracelets (eg 93250). The lube just attracts dust, dirt etc. that will turn into grinding paste over time....causing bracelet stretching etc.

I suggest replacing the baby oil and vasiline with hair shampoo.

1. Wash bracelet with soapy water to remove factory grease.
2. Soak bracelet in ordinary shampoo (with conditioner).
3. Work bracelet (wriggle it around in the shampoo) for 10-15mins. Bend/extend each link multiple times to break in the bracelet.
4. rinse well

Hair shampoo contains silicones that lube the bracelet without attracting dust, grime etc.

its also easy to wash out (unlike oil)

- [MENTION=66956]egroegart[/MENTION] steers clear of the greases and lubes and goes for an old-fashioned rinse and scrub

It's a great post. glad to see newer members posting great stuff. rep points given.

I too though don't use any greases or lubricants on the bracelets. as they do get messy and cake up over time and get in those crevasses and so hard to get out. They just will naturally loosen up, and I've found just with cleaning the squeaks go away. I wear my watches 24/7 so I usually clean whatever watch I'm wearing each day. with a soft small brush and soap and rinse really well.

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Very useful post! What detergent did you use in step 3? Normal soap?

I just used regular dish soap as it was all I had lying around. I've heard WD-40 works wonders, but I'm not state-side at the moment so wasn't able to get my hands on any!

oratempus

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/12
thanks !

If I may add my personnal stone... I first use WD40 BEFORE the first bath of baby oil. I even dip the screws in this WD40 bath.

I do not use WD 40 after this first step. It's aggressive for the skin, normal soap is perfect at step 3

DJT1

Supporter
15/6/13
Nice tutorial. I've never thought of vaseline. I personally use rock oil & find it works a treat, but I'm gonna give this tutorial a go

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
Nice one bro!!
I'm about to do this as well :biggrin-new:

Ruski91

12/10/12
Very nice tutorial! You hear about this often but there has never been an actual step by step posted before (to my knowledge). Great job! Rep points coming your way!

Smash15187

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/12/14
Great write up, did mine exactly the same minus the Vaseline, will have to try that next time.

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
Great timing! I looked for something like this just yesterday, and your step-by-step is a really good illustration as to what is involved.
Bit reluctant to walk into my local pharmacy to buy baby oil, Vaseline and rubber gloves though... :)

Farishmy

Renowned Member
29/10/14
Hey GrapeJam, really great post. I was planning to do this with my GMT too but I was skeptical due to my lack of knowledge. You just gave me the green light!!

Thanks for the wonderful insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
I applaud your effort, but have you ever tried rock n roll or white lightning dry lube? I give you bonus points for the vaseline dunked finger pic, but I am the original lube master! P4GTR's Bracelet Rattle Fix :p4gtr:

dbane883

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/12
I recently bought a gen SD4K. You'd be surprised how much the bracelet squeaks ironically. All a part of the break in process.

1968ca8bc277bf96711e79989cd0bf3a.jpg

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I personally ain't keen on the whole oil bath and Vaseline treatment particularly on hollow link bracelets (eg 93250). The lube just attracts dust, dirt etc. that will turn into grinding paste over time....causing bracelet stretching etc.

I suggest replacing the baby oil and vasiline with hair shampoo.

1. Wash bracelet with soapy water to remove factory grease.
2. Soak bracelet in ordinary shampoo (with conditioner).
3. Work bracelet (wriggle it around in the shampoo) for 10-15mins. Bend/extend each link multiple times to break in the bracelet.
4. rinse well

Hair shampoo contains silicones that lube the bracelet without attracting dust, grime etc.

its also easy to wash out (unlike oil)

Reactions: relaxyourmind

egroegart

1/7/13
It's a great post. glad to see newer members posting great stuff. rep points given.

I too though don't use any greases or lubricants on the bracelets. as they do get messy and cake up over time and get in those crevasses and so hard to get out. They just will naturally loosen up, and I've found just with cleaning the squeaks go away. I wear my watches 24/7 so I usually clean whatever watch I'm wearing each day. with a soft small brush and soap and rinse really well.

Rusty chain

Known Member
16/4/15
Bicycle chain lube is designed not to attract dirt. I liked the tutorial a lot. I'm going to stick to a lighter weight lube. I'm thinking CLP from the gun shop.

• Wow
Reactions: antonism