• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2015 Noob (Limited Edition) Liquid Metal Planet Ocean 42mm (LMPO) Review

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
2015 Noob Liquid Metal Planet Ocean 42mm (LMPO) Review

First and foremost I have to state, that I believe, this is a beautiful watch. The shine is just superb from any distance and it almost seems like it changes hues and colours in different types of light. However the 2015 LMPO seems to have caused some controversy on this forum. The first release attained super rep. status. There were a lot of high expectations for this new release. Sadly reading through the various threads these expectations seem not to have been met. https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/261374-Noob-Omega-LMPO-is-back!

This review is based on my LMPO. It seems I have got a relatively good one. This points to some inconsistency in the production and QC process on Noob’s behalf. The major differences that I can see from the various comments are that my second hand tip is red not orange and the lume overspill is significantly minimal on mine. I must give credit to my TD for selecting quite a good one. What I have noticed, is that, anyone who has provided wrist shots seem pretty pleased with theirs. It is possible that people were reading too much into QC photos.

A gen. comparison would be difficult, as there were less than 2000 of them made. Therefore the chances of seeing one in the wild are very slim. However one can see photos on this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/wha...n-liquidmetal-planet-ocean-today.15839/page-2 kindly provided by @Stewart77. It is interesting also to read the comments and the fears among the gen. owners, as it seems some believe that this is so close to the gen. However this is probably based on the 2013 version.

I also do not own a CrPO for comparison but this will be rectified soon :)

Review:

Again I must state that this is a beautiful looking watch. Not the most comfortable watch I own. It is quite heavy mainly due to the solid steel caseback. One gets used to wearing it after a while but it still feels a little weird and I find myself messing with it to get to a comfortable place on my wrist, in the initial minutes of wearing. I guess you can say you are aware of wearing it at least initially.

Movement: The Noob LMPO has an Asian 2824 clone 25J automatic movement at 28800bph. This movement seems effortless and it has a consistent sweeping motion of the second hand. It is a pleasure to watch the little red tip effortlessly sweeping past the white lume markers. So far there is no noticeable loss or gain of time. It is also relatively quiet compared to my Miyota reps. This of course is helped by the solid caseback. No stutter is nice too. It is also a hacking movement so I can set the time to the exact second :)

Lume: Very bright and blue and no problem reading the watch in the dark however application is not perfect. There is a very slight overspill on 2 numbers. Only noticable with a loupe and certainly not to the naked eye. In the dark it looks perfect and bright blue. However I would prefer if there was a deeper filled lume which would make it a lot more gen. like. I addressed this with my watchmaker. His attitude was leave well enough alone. He said there is just more of a likelihood of overspill. He also commented that you would not believe the flaws he has seen on gens.

Batons: I was disappointed with the batons. They are thin and a little cheap looking. This is not helped by the lack of a deep enough filled lume.

HeV and crown work perfectly and smoothly. However this is as useless as an astray on a motorbike as this watch IS NOT WATERPROOF.

Case: DO NOT PUT THIS WATCH ANYWHERE NEAR WATER, WITHOUT PRESSURE TESTING IT FIRST. Mine failed a pressure test even when the watch-smith replaced gaskets. The case quality is not great, according to the watch-smith, so he could not completely tighten it without the fear of doing harm. He said he may be able to do it but it would require a lot of work. This for me is a big let down. A diving watch that you would not bring into the shower even, is a big sign of a fake watch.

Caseback: The best writing I have seen on this model. Deeply etched writing.

Dial: Absolutely beautiful. Very shiny, very detailed, no crooked numbers that a few people are afraid of. Dial is very clean. No happy feet. The logo is also straight unlike some other Omega reps. I have. As mentioned before it takes on different hues according to lighting.

Pearl: Seems very well centered.

Bezel: Shines like only the LMPO can. It is very impressive. Different lighting = different shine.

Bracelet: I spent a considerable amount of time wrestling with the bracelet to re-size it. The pins are as tight as a ducks azz. I soaked it in baby oil for 5hrs and still the pins were really hard to budge. TD told me very clearly that the bracelet is an issue on these and did warn me to soak it. He suggested the KW CrPO as the Noob CrPO bracelet is not available. This is a heavy watch so needs to be sized fairly well and tightish or else it falls over to one side. You are certainly aware of wearing a watch for the first hour or so. The bracelet seemed rather dull to me and I did not think that it suited the watch. I gave it a very light polish and it came up pretty well. I am happier enough with it now.

Clasp: Not a great feel to closing it. It does feel a bit cheap to me because of the closure issue but it looks great and is very well made, it is flush to the bracelet when closed.
Edit: There is a sharp edge on one side of the clasp. It is starting to irritate me, co I have taken off the bracelet and I have replaced it with a black leather nato (See post #73 for pics)

Divers extension: It works fine and has a very smooth action.

Overall I am very pleased with it. I have had the LMPO for a while now. It is still the most beautiful watch I have. However I still prefer my $95 SMP300 diver on my wrist. I guess the question really is: Is this a Super Rep.? For me I believe the answer is no. However when I see photos of the original it would be very hard to tell the difference without very close inspection. It would probably take a rep. owner to tell the difference, I stand to be corrected on this. My watchmaker was moderately impressed and needed a closer look to verify it was not genuine.

The two things that let this watch down for me are the lack of a deep filled lume and the unforgivable fact that this watch is not waterproof.

Ches13h

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/11/15
That watch is beautiful! When are you going to sell it to me lol!!!!????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Photos are much better than in SMP review. Thanks!

?????????? ? ????? iPad ????????? Tapatalk

jayyenn

9/9/13
Goodlooking watch, despite its flaws though... For me personally, it was either the LMPO or the CrPO.
Like you stated in the review, the bracelet and clasp is a nightmare which is a dealbreaker for me.
So I opted for the CrPO instead.

Nice watch though! Wear it in good health :thumbup:

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Goodlooking watch, despite its flaws though... For me personally, it was either the LMPO or the CrPO.
Like you stated in the review, the bracelet and clasp is a nightmare which is a dealbreaker for me.
So I opted for the CrPO instead.

Nice watch though! Wear it in good health :thumbup:

Thanks you for that. I prefer the look of the LMPO but yes the bracelet on the CrPO just looks far superior. I have a V6F TiPO on the way. I might try swapping the bracelets around. Although I feel the Ti bracelet looks duller, have to wait to see. I will probably end up with a Noob CrPO at some stage, but this build quality, on the LMPO did not impress me.

Offy

Horology Curious
6/12/15
I really love this watch but the fact that you can't really get it wet is kinda a big issue. I guess best thing would be to try to verify with trusted dealers that its been tested for water resistance before being shipped out.

A4ringss

5/2/13
can you please post a pic of the caseback? I'd like to see your letter "engravings" mine are just printed on

Also which TD did you get it from? im a bit irritated that my second hand is orange

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
can you please post a pic of the caseback? I'd like to see your letter "engravings" mine are just printed on

Also which TD did you get it from? im a bit irritated that my second hand is orange

Here is a pic. unfortunately I rubbed off some of the black paint while polishing it. Stupid thing to do really but that is how I know they are etched in and not painted on. The black lettering semi-removal does not bother me though.

The TD is Sead (Supermirrors)

Way now

Horology Curious
26/5/13
I've got one of these on their way to me right now, and I've got a silly question. Has anyone tried to paint the second hand red? How about clean off the Lume overspill, or straighten the 12 marker? Because I'm totally going to do it!

I bought a rep planet ocean a few years ago which was passable, but the bracelet and clasp felt pretty poor. Took about a weeks worth of tinkering and micro adjustments but i got it feeling very similar to my genuine Seamaster with that satisfying click when closed.

My point is, reps are never going to be perfect. But with a bit of time and patience, I think they can be improved.

namemyname

12/10/15
Very well written review! As a 2015 LMPO owner I can agree with almost everything that you said. This review makes me think twice about selling my LMPO even though I got a CRPO on the way lol. Is there any reason to own both?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Very well written review! As a 2015 LMPO owner I can agree with almost everything that you said. This review makes me think twice about selling my LMPO even though I got a CRPO on the way lol. Is there any reason to own both?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Thank you, if you have an Omega fetish like I seem to be developing, there is every reason to have both lol. The CrPO however does not appeal to me in the same way that the LMPO does. The first time I saw it I fell in love with it. It was a have to have.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I've got one of these on their way to me right now, and I've got a silly question. Has anyone tried to paint the second hand red? How about clean off the Lume overspill, or straighten the 12 marker? Because I'm totally going to do it!

I bought a rep planet ocean a few years ago which was passable, but the bracelet and clasp felt pretty poor. Took about a weeks worth of tinkering and micro adjustments but i got it feeling very similar to my genuine Seamaster with that satisfying click when closed.

My point is, reps are never going to be perfect. But with a bit of time and patience, I think they can be improved.

I agree with this. But now I have my eye on other watches. I am not that hands on but I can see myself possibly leaving this with my watchmaker for a few weeks to get it right. It is probably worth spending money on. I am just debating that with myself atm. Again it may not be a Super Rep. in its current form but it can possibly be made to be :)

Ironmanic

5/6/15
To my eye, the second hand in the pics still isn't the same red as gen (more of a red/orange)? or is it just the picture?

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
[MENTION=104380]jasozer2[/MENTION] With a loupe it looks red, possibly not as deep red as the Seamaster signature, which i believe the gen. has, but red all the same.

Ironmanic

5/6/15
I would agree. Definitely more red than orange. Seems to be a variance in how red some of these came out. Might look to get mine painted when I get it serviced. Can't imagine it would be too difficult.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I would agree. Definitely more red than orange. Seems to be a variance in how red some of these came out. Might look to get mine painted when I get it serviced. Can't imagine it would be too difficult.
No idea but I presume they would at least have to remove the second hand. Because it is so beautiful, as is, there is a large forgiveness tolerance in this watch. I might just leave it as is until it really needs to go to the watch maker. Although the lack of waterproofing is still bothering me a bit.