• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava Officer’s Caseback 5227

Invetero

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/20
I just got one from ZF too. Looks 99%alike,only very slightly thicker ,9015 movement obvious a pro can tell the turning spring is at the wrong side but lucky got the casing . Only thing I can't stand is the rotor noise and it spins really too much until it felt like a cheap toy .a flick of my hand the rotor will spin and spin .

Can I seek advice if anyone knows any watch shop in Singapore that can reduce the noise and slow down the rotor spinning ? Deeply appreciate before I chuck this aside as a display item forever

Thanks guys

Hi mate, you should try removing the rotor, brushing a small amout of silicone oil with a very small brush on the ball bearing. It does wonders
Silicone oil gives just enough resistance to avoid a forever spinning and loud rotor, yet it will have no effects on the auto winding don't worry.
Tried and tested on the notoriously loud dg2813, I have used this trick for years now, silicone oil will NOT find it's way out of the bearing.

rpole

Looking Around
17/2/20
Thinking about getting this watch... I have the 5296r and the tone of the rose gold matches Patek's exactly. Does ZF use the same rose gold for the 5227r? Also, any chance there will be an updated version with the font not so bold? How noticeable is the thick font in person? 10.1.1

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Thinking about getting this watch... I have the 5296r and the tone of the rose gold matches Patek's exactly. Does ZF use the same rose gold for the 5227r? Also, any chance there will be an updated version with the font not so bold? How noticeable is the thick font in person? 10.1.1

Yes the gold is the same.

No the font is not noticeable at all, in fact I didn’t even notice it in my two 5227’s until you mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rpole

Looking Around
17/2/20
Yes the gold is the same.

No the font is not noticeable at all, in fact I didn’t even notice it in my two 5227’s until you mentioned it.

Nice, do you like your 5227s more than your 5296s? How does ZF's gold plating hold up over time?

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Nice, do you like your 5227s more than your 5296s? How does ZF's gold plating hold up over time?

They’re different watches I like them both.

No clue how they hold up over time.

kojak008

Known Member
21/6/20
hi guys, dust off this beautiful post, i read a lot about 5227 ZG, i really like rose gold, i have 2 questions:
1 after some time has anyone noticed a significant decay of the plating?
2 the strap that arrives how is it?
I have read that many buy a C F strap but they cost around € 300,
can someone recommend me a good strap around 100-150 €?
Thank you

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
hi guys, dust off this beautiful post, i read a lot about 5227 ZG, i really like rose gold, i have 2 questions:
1 after some time has anyone noticed a significant decay of the plating?
2 the strap that arrives how is it?
I have read that many buy a C F strap but they cost around € 300,
can someone recommend me a good strap around 100-150 €?
Thank you

ZicZac

sscarm

Certified
27/10/21
How is the plating holding up for those of you that got RG or YG?

SKnight

8/7/19
I have the ZF, plating is holding up fine. But I wear mine on special occasions only.

Gin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/10/21
I want to share my experience of purchasing this watch from Lucy [email protected]. She is a highly touted TD here in this forum. It is my first purchase from her.

I contacted her via email 1st time on Nov 27, 2021. I knew I had to wait. She is highly in demand as she is known to provide Class A star service. That I was clear about. I did not get a response and sent email follow up on 3rd Dec and 13 Dec. She finally replied on 13 Dec.

Once she replied to me, the transaction was very smooth. She is very well mannered and polite and tries to answer your questions to her best ability. Good customer service which is a lot better as some in this forum tend to be arrogant (no names, just my personal experience).

My watch finally arrived on 22 Jan 2022. It was a lovely piece and she did her best to ensure it is of high quality and properly QCed. The watch is sent by Lucy first to a watch smith to clean dust and adjust the movement. I do not know if this meant that it is serviced, regulated, waterproofed and pressure tested. She did say that she occasionally tests the watches she receives and they are 90% of the time 10m water resistant. Some can go to 20m but none at 50m as the websites claim. I also tested the power reserve with a rudimentary test. Wound the watch 10 rounds and let it run until it died. It took 30 hours 15 mins (power reserve).

I'll let the pictures speak for itself. First one taken by me, 2nd from Lucy. Experience was very good and I'd buy from her again. She is sincere and no BS.

Now I have to think of how to mod this baby. I might start with engraving a personalized message on the case back or changing the strap or adding a photo.

jdBvP2.jpg
jdBRt3.jpg
jdBNen

Last edited:
Reactions: klockjohan

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Now I have to think of how to mod this baby. I might start with engraving a personalized message on the case back or changing the strap or adding a photo.

Congrats on the new watch, Lucy is a great TD indeed.

Keep in mind that this is a gold plated watch, so engraving it may not be the best idea as it will likely show the steel underneath the plating

Aven

Horology Curious
18/2/21
Hold on tight you guys, this one is gonna be a long one with a nice dose of colorful comparisons

guess who knocked my door yesterday?? :D

Untitled.jpg

20190918-140129.jpg

First thing first, The reps looked great in the little air sucked nylon cases they provided, not the greatest looking, but it serves the purpose, definitely will be used when I move around my watches..

So, here where we start.. I have to disclose something, unfortunately, my BP 5227G with white dial that I bought as the first rep in the series, went dead on me few weeks back.. it's like, it knew I have made my decision to purchase the new ZF rep. so in the purpose of this detailed post, I will not include it with the three, however, I will put up some detailed pics of the new ZF one, but no comparison, as to be honest, it shares the same features with the other BP and ZF reps..

so let's go..

Below you will see the R version with the famous grey CF strap that went trending all over is the BP, the brown strap with the ZF tag is obviously!! you know!!! ZF maybe?? :D and same goes with the G version, the BP is with the Gen PP strap.

Now from the first very first look when having them side by side from a distance, and perhaps even before taking off the wrap on the new reps, I can totally notice that the PATEK PHILIPPE logo is bold on the ZF compared to the BP, and honestly, I have seen the gen in person, it is not that bold and in your face.. when I was looking at it while taking the pictures, it was really bothering me, as you can not un see it, and especially that my eyes are used to the BP logo.. but in all honesty, when I wear the rep, and look at my wrist, it's not that bad, yes it is bad when we have both BP and ZF next to each other, but I can see how it won't be a real issue down the line wearing the rep, especially when pimping it with the CF or gen PP straps.. you will forget about it and won't see it, in the other hand, people will notice that it is a PP more now as the boldness and the sharpness of the logo makes it much easier to spot from far away, so aaahh this could be a plus for some people, been wearing the black dial now for few hours, and the logo font doesn't even occur to me.

20190919-144944.jpg

here is a pic of a gen so you can see what I am talking about... the gen font boldness sits in between the BP and the ZF

Untitled.jpg

So let's start the comparison shall we? I will only compare the 5227R to save time, as the rest will have similar results..

20190919-145037.jpg

20190919-145050.jpg

20190919-145103.jpg

From what I have been seeing with my eyes, the ZF has more rounded shape to the rep, now BP is more sharp on edges, so the ZF has more flow like the gen, I never noticed this to be honest on the BP until I put them next to each other.. the DW window on the ZF has thinner depth, the BP is a tad deeper, which again gives it to the ZF as it looks closer to gen.. the color of the dial is immaculate.. what a great color.. ZF nailed it.. again I wore the gen in an AD once, and now seeing the ZF dial, the color is perfect, where BP is way too white. forget about the pics on the net with different lighting, the color is perfect in real life.

now the side profiles

20190919-145131.jpg

20190919-145213.jpg

As you can see the hinges on the side for the ZF are much closer to gen than the BP..

20190919-145250.jpg

20190919-145315.jpg

then the back of the reps..

20190919-145332.jpg

20190919-145410.jpg

only thing I have noticed, which goes for the whole reps is that the ZF shows much better engraving process, deeper and more clear, that goes for the engravings on the case and buckle

20190919-145440.jpg

20190919-145524.jpg

The movements are of course night and day.. mind you, you need to know that the BP is the first generation that came out, the none decorated movement, I took those because I never cared for the decorated movements as they tend to thicken up the rep, and the gen is pretty thin.. so I was very satisfied with the thickness of the BP, and didn't worry about the fake decoration, but when I saw the decoration on the ZF, I was very scared that now, the rep is thicker, to my surprise, those factories advanced soooooo much since the creation of the BP 5227, that now with the decoration, it is thinner than the one without decoration,, who would of thought?? (more over on the thickness comparison later). Now when it came for the hinges, the ZF is spot on like the gen hinges.. where BP as good as they did, the hinges were a bit curvy and not executed exactly like gen, where ZF just nailed it.. I know it's not a big deal, but it's a plus for sure, and made me realize the efforts put into making things so perfect.

Let's move on..

20190919-145602.jpg

20190919-145632.jpg

The higher level of engraving made me want to also use the ZF buckle when changing the strap to the CF strap, in the beginning before seeing this, I thought, it's the same size buckle, I will just leave the BP buckle on the strap when I change it, but after seeing the engraving quality on the ZF buckle, made my mind to also change it.. and that made me discover one more thing in the process.. see below

20190919-150958.jpg

While changing the buckle I realized that ZF actually went through the trouble of adding the rose gold springbar, where my old BP rose gold buckle was carrying a steel springbar.. I mean, ZF is just out of this world, I can't think of any Chinese factory that would sink in this level of detail, it's crazy how just in that moment, I realized that when you see the buckle from the side, the RG spring would make the buckle seamless and rich as the springbar completes it and no other color would disrupt the fluidity, where the BP as small of a detail as it is, and as expected from rep manufacturers, when I look at it now, I see this dot in the middle of the buckle that looks a bit odd.. ZF you get 5 stars for the extra mile you have gone for finish quality..

Now let's start comparing measurements shall we? Before we do, one point I want to raise here, the comparison is based on the first generation BP 5227, which as I said before, none decorated, the versions that came after, BP jumped on the decorated movement wagon, and added the fake bridges as it became a fad since then, and the result was getting a thicker rep than the version that I have.. so for the measurements, you need to know that the BP I have is the thinnest 5227 out there, and if you want to compare it with the later versions that have the decorated movement, expect BP to be even thicker.

20190919-145833.jpg

20190919-145935.jpg

half mm from the gen.. great job from both on that, and who knows, if I had the gen, it might be the exact 38.5mm, when they state it's 39 for rounding up purposes..

20190919-150051.jpg

20190919-150216.jpg

And here was the surprise, measuring the thickness of the two reps, ZF having the decorated movement, and BP without, I realized that the ZF is thinner than the BP.. huge advancement in the rep world.. kudos to the Chinese.. doing a really great job.. that measurement is for the rep with the top of the crystal.. having slept on it last night, I was thinking to myself, but the gen stats are for the thickness without the crystal, so today I pulled out the BP again, though without a strap now as I changed it yesterday to the ZF, and as I am wearing the ZF 5227G (which is the same measurement of the R version) I decided to give it another go to measure them without the crystal to see if it comes close to the gen of 9.24mm thickness.. and here is the result..

BP below:

20190920-102130.jpg

And ZF below:

20190920-101945.jpg

BRAVOOOOOOOOO ZF.. confirmed, thickness of the ZF including a lovely looking decorated movement is 9.2mm same as gen.. this is for me the most exciting news today.. diameter 39mm, and thickness 9.2mm with decorated movement just like gen.. all I can say is WOW!! :D

Let's keep going with the stats for lug and buckle..

20190919-150342.jpg

20190919-150418.jpg

Another star for spot on lug size like gen

20190919-150439.jpg

20190919-150453.jpg

and this conclude the comparison.. the ZF factory went out of their way to produce something spectacular, no holding back, paying attention to details.. definitely replicating a gen that they had in their hands.. the BP rep is very very good.. especially the first version as it was at the time the thinnest, and we all know that this particular watch is so sleek and classic, the best element in it was the size and how thin it sits on your wrist, making the new versions higher, and as much as it was not a big deal, ZF showed us that it could be done.. bravo... my only note is the thickness of the logo font, I wish it was done a bit thinner, to resemble the gen, but like I said, on the wrist, the more bold logo is hardly noticeable..

now I will put out some pics of the 5227G white and black dial to make this review show all but the 5227Y which I was never a fan of unfortunately, so I didn't get it. enjoy the pics..

20190919-155704.jpg

20190919-155716.jpg

20190919-155725.jpg

20190919-155735.jpg

20190919-155750.jpg

20190919-155808.jpg

20190919-155817.jpg

and the black dial on the PP gen strap.. unfortunately, the gen strap I got my hands on is 19mmX14mm, so as you can see there is a bit of gap with the buckle.. but that doesn't bother me, in the end, it's hosting a Patek Philippe strap, and to me is more joyful..

20190920-104646.jpg

20190920-104749.jpg

20190920-104811.jpg

20190920_104840.jpg

I hope you enjoined it.. my last comment.. great rep, hugeeeeeeeeeeeee upgrade, worth the money for sure, and if you host the rep with a PP gen strap or Camille Fournet strap, you got your self the closest rep to gen ever produced.

kind regards,

Godfathar

Hi Godfather,
first of all thank you for your post! Calatrava 5227 is my favourite dress whatch.
I just bought a Calatrava 5227G SS / LE and I would like to exchange the rep strap for a CF.
Which CF strap is the same as the original one? Shiny or matte alligator? What also is the correct measurement of the width of the buckle?

Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Hi Godfather,
first of all thank you for your post! Calatrava 5227 is my favourite dress whatch.
I just bought a Calatrava 5227G SS / LE and I would like to exchange the rep strap for a CF.
Which CF strap is the same as the original one? Shiny or matte alligator? What also is the correct measurement of the width of the buckle?

I haven’t seen Godfathar log in to the forum for a very long time, unfortunately.

To answer your question: Patek gens use the shiny alligator square scale. Black for the white gold ones and dark brown for the rose gold, light brown for the yellow gold. The strap size is lug width 19mm and buckle width 16mm. The thickness of the strap would be 3.5mm. Patek would do tone-in-tone stitching.

Reactions: Aven

Aven

Horology Curious
18/2/21
Purtroppo è da molto tempo che non vedo Godfathar accedere al forum.

Per rispondere alla tua domanda: Patek gens usa la scala quadrata in alligatore lucido. Nero per l'oro bianco e testa di moro per l'oro rosa, marrone chiaro per l'oro giallo. La dimensione del cinturino è di larghezza ansa 19 mm e larghezza fibbia 16 mm. Lo spessore del cinturino sarebbe di 3,5 mm. Patek realizzerebbe cuciture tono su tono.
Thank you guy! Do you know also where can I buy strap for a Vacheron Constantine Patrimony Grand Taille YG/LE White? For Patek CF, fot Vacheron Constantine?

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thank you guy! Do you know also where can I buy strap for a Vacheron Constantine Patrimony Grand Taille YG/LE White? For Patek CF, fot Vacheron Constantine?
The same. CF also makes straps that can be used on VC. The quality is the same. I don't know who the manufacturer is for VC.

Pepsifan

Looking Around
25/3/17
Hi Guys

I am a newbie planing to buy a 5227R

What is the difference between BP, ZF and 3KF models

BP is the cheapest 3KF the most expensive

Also is it better to go for the gold or silver or rose gold ?

Which is closest to the orginal

Andrew at TT is listing the BPF as the closest

Is that the case or a selling gimmmick

Many thanks

Alex4

Looking Around
4/8/22
Mine arrived today zf steel. Beautiful watch. The rotor is loud and the strap needs replacing but isnt as bad as i thought it would be. The case back is great too