• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava Officer’s Caseback 5227

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
This version really is stunning, ZF are really smashing these Patek dress watches right now. I had a 5296 and it was beautiful but I never wore it because I always wear my 5227.

Trouble is my 5227 was a wedding gift and is engraved so can’t really replace it... does anyone really need two 5227s?!? I guess I could get rose gold?!

DC

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
This version really is stunning, ZF are really smashing these Patek dress watches right now. I had a 5296 and it was beautiful but I never wore it because I always wear my 5227.

Trouble is my 5227 was a wedding gift and is engraved so can’t really replace it... does anyone really need two 5227s?!? I guess I could get rose gold?!

DC

Or even better... yellow gold :lovestruck:

DC

SKnight

8/7/19
Godfathar Hi there, while reading your review I came across the fact that one of your watches died.

So I was wondering, and my apologies if this sounds like a noob question, but that is because I am.

What is the life expectancy of these rep watches if I look after them??

cheers

Reactions: cap923

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
Godfathar Hi there, while reading your review I came across the fact that one of your watches died.

So I was wondering, and my apologies if this sounds like a noob question, but that is because I am.

What is the life expectancy of these rep watches if I look after them??

cheers

Hey buddy.. with reps, there are no life expectancies, it's more like hit or miss.. some reps arrived DOA.. some broke after a month, some broke after 2 years, and others still functioning and it has been 5 years with no issues.. I have no answer for you to be honest.. it all depends on your luck, as I care for all my reps the same way.. but in the end, I get to fix the ones that stopped working, if you get to make a good relationship with a modder, you can always send it to him for a service and a quick repair if there was an issue, and usually, the fix is small, and sometimes it would be better to actually buy a new movement.. sorry but I know that I brought you back to square one, but that's the honest truth :p

have a great day..

Best

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

SKnight

8/7/19
Godfathar lol yea you kinda did, but I appreciate the honesty. Guess I need to start building a relationship with a modder.

cheers

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Godfathar lol yea you kinda did, but I appreciate the honesty. Guess I need to start building a relationship with a modder.

cheers

No need. Just buy the watch you like and enjoy it. IF and WHEN something happen you will find someone to fix it.

For statistical reasons: avoid clone movements on Submariners/GMTs. And avoid chronos if you can.

Last edited:

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
How hard is the gold plating on these sort of watches? The RG looks absolutely fantastic with the cream(ish) dial but I am conscious the gold plating will be likely to have nicks revealing the stainless steel.

SKnight

8/7/19
gigi77 Cheers bud.

I've recently made my very first and second purchase: GF Santos, and the Noob Daytona 116519LN, I've been looking for a rose gold and with this rose gold calatrava I think I've found the one.

This hobby is getting real expensive real fast.

However since I've only had both for a few weeks don't really now what the life on these is like.

I was actually considering getting a second GF Santos as a back up, as I'm using my current one as a daily. Is that worth doing??

Also I want to plate another one full rose gold, and that is quite pricey, another reason I'm interested in the life expectancy. I'd be only worth plating if these have a long life.

Cheers

effewatch

30/10/18
Europe
This thread is amazing. Thanks guys. Question for the owners: how is the miyota on these? Is the rotor noisy?

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
It was quite quiet... then suddenly it became more noisy.

Anyone else with a miyota had this?

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
It was quite quiet... then suddenly it became more noisy.

Anyone else with a miyota had this?

I've been with mine for half a year and I haven't noticed a difference, actually it's not noisy at all.

webby48

Known Member
8/11/19
Got mine in the mail today and its beautiful except I got the RG version instead of the YG like I wanted. I thought it was just the lighting in the QC pics that made it look that way. If anyone wants to trade their YG for my RG, let me know because I already owned the 5296G in RG and really wanted this 5227 in YG.

Last edited: