• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

kobe24

Renowned Member
19/7/16
ZF provide their GEN dial stick :)

Wechat-IMG240.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi all, while I do not wish to take sides with either party in this minor misunderstanding, I do believe that what Tigerdragon says has some merit, albeit putting it across or justifying it in a way that might have ruffled some feathers.

ajm74.jpg
ajq3I.jpg

If you look at the aforementioned pictures, the bottom image of each collage is a gen 15500 I tried on, while the other is the HD image of the ZF 15500 that kobe24 has provided us with.

Looking at the edge of the tapisserie at 9 o’clock, you will notice on the gen that the edge of the next ‘pattern’ does in fact appear, with the majority of the ‘pattern’ being hidden by the minute track. However on the ZF 15500, this ‘pattern’ simply stops, leaving an awkward space where there should exist a continuation of the tapisserie ‘pattern’. Looking at the gorgeous gen that legend has, it is also apparent on his 15500 that the edge of the ‘pattern’ does exist at 9 o’clock, with the majority being hidden by the minute track. The aforementioned occurs at the 6 o'clock marker as well.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I think that properly articulating our reasons for our opinions instead of shooting each other down with curt remarks will serve to enhance the collective experience we have here at RWI :)

Thank you for this breakdown.
I’ve nothing against Tigerdragon personally other than the way he appears to discredit all new rep releases and even gens lol.

But what the heck, everyone is entitled to his opinion. I don’t think tigerdragon meant to harm anyone with his opinions too. He’s someone who has been around and his posts can carry some weightage to new members reading the information for the first time.

I have no quarrel with him in this regard and thank you once again daracus for your informative post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and daracus

daracus

Horology Curious
28/12/18
Thank you for this breakdown.
I’ve nothing against Tigerdragon personally other than the way he appears to discredit all new rep releases and even gens lol.

But what the heck, everyone is entitled to his opinion. I don’t think tigerdragon meant to harm anyone with his opinions too. He’s someone who has been around and his posts can carry some weightage to new members reading the information for the first time.

I have no quarrel with him in this regard and thank you once again daracus for your informative post!

Thank you, your words mean a lot to me! Just trying to contribute my bit as a member of this community and a fellow citizen of our little red dot haha

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

guessit

Known Member
17/11/19
ZF 15500 dial minutes are spot on, it was just the angle of the photo
ajbNj.jpg

EDIT: sorry, I noticed just now the flaw about tapisserie

Last edited:

Lawny

23/7/19
UK
Wow this looks very promising, I was about to pull the trigger on a 15400 but now I’m debating on getting this 15500.

legend Hello sir, as you have both 15400 and 15500 gens, and very knowledgeable on AP’s. What would be your preference between both models if you had to choose one and why?

Many Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ToniMontono

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Blue will be spot on, you can't capture it with a camera same problem was with the 15400 its to vibrant (like the Gen).

BIONONE

You didnt watch the youtube video didnt you? Also i don't care what do you think about me :D i'am not a AP fanboy who approves any flaw. Even not on Gen if somebody is dumb enough to pay 20k for a dial with dust and shit on it, do it! I would not do it :D its so simple.

Its just pure fanboyism, like the Rolex guys which never see any flaw on there submariners even smoke mentioned misaligned markers on Gens etc. But like i said you didnt watch the youtube video so yeah. Also because iam tired to discuss with you i will just ignore your posts.

P.S.: Who did the investigation on the XF 15202 screws postition? Ahhhhh that was me who did search for the serialnumbers and found the exact same models with the exact same bezel and screw position. Everybody was criticizing it :D i was the only one who actually looked it up like i looked it up on the 15400. Where was you? Ahhhh right you did nothing (like always). Thats why i don't write a review about the 15400 ZF because iam sick of this talking the whole time.

I have eyes and i see flaws and thats it. End of Story and now back to topic.

I can only agree with what legend said. While you do have some points you are putting them out here like you've seen the gen countless times. Whilst all you did was see pictures on google and videos on youtube. Backing up your statements based on these merits is just plain blasphemy. Especially if you tell off people that either OWN the gen or have handled the gen multiple times.

Don't try to compare the AP sub to the Rolex sub, it's like you're comparing apples to beans, two completely different worlds. Don't try to act arrogant and superior because to do so, you have to carry it and guess what- you don't.

Remain factual and stop with the conspiracies over gen batches, rep batches and creating drama. Nothing against sharing obvious opinions and flaws but you CAN NOT spout conspiracies that you have no idea about if all you've seen of watch xyz was pictures and videos. Okay?!

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Interesting I never saw that on the gens I saw. Batch issue with the gens? Would be not the first time AP is fucking something up.

BIONONE

Iam not talking anything down be reminded that I bought the 15400 after I critized it to make me an own picture. On all the 15500 gens I saw this issue was not present even kobe said in the startpost that they fix that issue. AP are also making mistakes in the past they are not "perfect" as it seems like that one YouTube video were someone shows the flaws on the new RO diver with dust and not printed underside of second hand etc.

Would be also not the first time that AP changes the tapseries and colors in the series.

https://youtu.be/Z_Umb_S-RDM

Check this out.

I realy hope JF will replicate this 42mm Roo modell. Wow so Beautiful

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Wow this looks very promising, I was about to pull the trigger on a 15400 but now I’m debating on getting this 15500.

legend Hello sir, as you have both 15400 and 15500 gens, and very knowledgeable on AP’s. What would be your preference between both models if you had to choose one and why?

Many Thanks in advance.

Assuming you’re talking about reps, I’ll pick the blue or grey 15500 for myself over the 15400.
The reason is because the 15500 dial is better done than the 15400 ones in terms of printing, hands and datewheel (though all 3 are still imperfect on the 15500 rep)
I know of at least 2 other members here who own the gen blue and black 15500s and since they choose to remain silent I’ll respect their privacy and not call them out.
We discussed the 15500 reps earlier today and share the same opinion that the 15500 rep is better done than the 15400 ones.
Remember that this is just my opinion and not everyone prefers the 15500.
I do have to agree that the 15400 is more elegant and classy than the 15500, which wears more bulky and sporty on the wrist.

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
I think the 15500 is a nice mix of sporty / claasy. I think it could be worn with a nice suit or Jeans and a t-shirt. I tried this with my 15400 and sadly do not think it is as versatile.
Now my thinned 15400 with Gen dial is just going to sit in the watch box never to be worn again.

Reactions: ToniMontono

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
15500 is a nice watch but for me the dial is unbalanced, everything logo and brand on top and... Nothing at bottom, empty wasted space. :(
Personal opinion.

Reactions: legend

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
15500 is a nice watch but for me the dial is unbalanced, everything logo and brand on top and... Nothing at bottom, empty wasted space. :(
Personal opinion.

I agree 100%/ I hate the dial design of the 15500. If they wanted to eliminate the Automatic text from the bottom half then at least put the AP logo there...

Reactions: Jurgenk

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
I agree 100%/ I hate the dial design of the 15500. If they wanted to eliminate the Automatic text from the bottom half then at least put the AP logo there...

Agreed! And this would looks like a fat sporty jumbo :)

N0tail_

1/6/17
Personal opinion.

I thought the exact same, thinking that the 15500 was a downgrade in terms of design compared to the 15400. However after watching this comparison video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QebFRjkrCs8&t=460s) I started to appreciate the 15500 a lot more to the point where it's grown on me.

In fact the more I look at a 15500 the more I understand why AP made those specific design choices. Maybe Legend will agree too :p

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
India Whiskey Charlie N0tail_ SHB Phantomtech The 15500 vs 15400 will always be an on going debate and personally, the 15500 is a watch which needs to be viewed in person to better appreciate it. It will not guarantee that you will like it of course, but like most watches, you need to view and feel it in person to form a complete opinion.
Vs the 15400, the 15500 has thicker hour markers, different hands, a different date window position and date font, and a thicker bezel visually. Like you guys pointed out, it does have a somewhat unbalanced dial print, with the missing "automatic" text. Of course, it also has a brand new cal.4302 movement, which is supposedly higher specced than the cal. 3120.
For me, I like both the 15500 and 15400. Having already owned the 15400 then, the 15500 was a watch which grew on me. I bought one as I was offered it at retail, so it was a no-brainer. The watch took time to grow on me, and it gave a very different feel vs wearing the 15400.
The 15400 has a slimmer profile, a more balanced dial, and the slimmer hour markers and hands make it the ideal dress watch and a classic beauty. The 15500 comes across as slightly more bulky, more contemporary looking, and more sporty. The wear-feel is different, even though both are 41mm. The proportions of the dial, bezel and mid case makes the 15500 look bigger on the wrist, and the new placement of the date window is reminiscent of the Nautilus dial layout. The 3120 caliber used in the 15400 was a little undersized, and the dial layout was created to accommodate the caliber size, and the end result was aesthetically very pleasing and balanced to most. The 4302 caliber used in the 15500 can be argued to be the "optimal" size for the watch, though this is of course a moot point,and already the subject of many contentious discussions.

You can own a 15400 and a 15500 and find different occasions for both. They are not alternatives for each other IMHO. With regard to the missing "automatic" text on the 15500 dial, it is a case of "less is more" for me, and it allows you to view the intricate finish of the tapisseries better. To each his own. Be it the 15400 or 15500, both are beautiful pieces of art and occupy niches of their own.

Sharki06

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/5/18
one thing nice, is now, the gen 15500 is at 28800 bhp (high beat) so it's now accurate with the myiota of rep, instead of the 15400 was a low beat :)

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
India Whiskey Charlie N0tail_ SHB Phantomtech The 15500 vs 15400 will always be an on going debate and personally, the 15500 is a watch which needs to be viewed in person to better appreciate it. It will not guarantee that you will like it of course, but like most watches, you need to view and feel it in person to form a complete opinion.
Vs the 15400, the 15500 has thicker hour markers, different hands, a different date window position and date font, and a thicker bezel visually. Like you guys pointed out, it does have a somewhat unbalanced dial print, with the missing "automatic" text. Of course, it also has a brand new cal.4302 movement, which is supposedly higher specced than the cal. 3120.
For me, I like both the 15500 and 15400. Having already owned the 15400 then, the 15500 was a watch which grew on me. I bought one as I was offered it at retail, so it was a no-brainer. The watch took time to grow on me, and it gave a very different feel vs wearing the 15400.
The 15400 has a slimmer profile, a more balanced dial, and the slimmer hour markers and hands make it the ideal dress watch and a classic beauty. The 15500 comes across as slightly more bulky, more contemporary looking, and more sporty. The wear-feel is different, even though both are 41mm. The proportions of the dial, bezel and mid case makes the 15500 look bigger on the wrist, and the new placement of the date window is reminiscent of the Nautilus dial layout. The 3120 caliber used in the 15400 was a little undersized, and the dial layout was created to accommodate the caliber size, and the end result was aesthetically very pleasing and balanced to most. The 4302 caliber used in the 15500 can be argued to be the "optimal" size for the watch, though this is of course a moot point,and already the subject of many contentious discussions.

You can own a 15400 and a 15500 and find different occasions for both. They are not alternatives for each other IMHO. With regard to the missing "automatic" text on the 15500 dial, it is a case of "less is more" for me, and it allows you to view the intricate finish of the tapisseries better. To each his own. Be it the 15400 or 15500, both are beautiful pieces of art and occupy niches of their own.

Thanks for that, some points for me to think about.

I always thought that owning a 15202 and a 15400 was a bit redundant since both were sort of dressy Royal Oaks, but after hearing what you have to say maybe a 15202 and a 15500 is the ideal combo.