• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 16202

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Does buff make a set of after market hands for this model to fix the pizza base, or this raises a concern of seeing the centre hole on the dial?
Afaik another maker produces a gen like hand set which fits Miyota only after modding.

Reactions: THXuk and legend

Nicolaswatch

Known Member
Patron
Certified
10/12/19
Yes but he does not answer on WhatsAp, i ve been trying for weeks even with google translate with no success

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
Just got it back from getting the pizza hand shaved. Bezel screws are on point but the date is a little left justified, at least on the 20's. I may open it up eventually to fix it but it doesn't bother me too much right now. At 8.95mm it seems the caseback is slightly thicker than the 15202's likely to accommodate a thicker deco plate. Overall pretty happy with it.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Just got it back from getting the pizza hand shaved. Bezel screws are on point but the date is a little left justified, at least on the 20's. I may open it up eventually to fix it but it doesn't bother me too much right now. At 8.95mm it seems the caseback is slightly thicker than the 15202's likely to accommodate a thicker deco plate. Overall pretty happy with it.

I like the decorated movement, it looks nice.

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
I sold a modded 15202, and always missed it since it was gone. I keep looking at this 16202 and thinking I should go for it, along with some new hands, if I can find them from DP (who has shown a picture on insta) or Xing for example.

DP also does an after-market dial (as seen in the pic and mentioned on Reddit from time to time) that appears to be a little more lustrous, which I think looks nice, but I don't think it's any closer to the original, just a preference. Ive enquired about pricing, no response yet.

Taking into account the above, I also have another dilemma as I also like the green dial 16202. I guess one for each wrist is needed ;-)

Reactions: LeBron

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
I sold a modded 15202, and always missed it since it was gone. I keep looking at this 16202 and thinking I should go for it, along with some new hands, if I can find them from DP (who has shown a picture on insta) or Xing for example.

DP also does an after-market dial (as seen in the pic and mentioned on Reddit from time to time) that appears to be a little more lustrous, which I think looks nice, but I don't think it's any closer to the original, just a preference. Ive enquired about pricing, no response yet.

Taking into account the above, I also have another dilemma as I also like the green dial 16202. I guess one for each wrist is needed ;-)
DP is a very fun dial, I love it in my ZF 15202 but don't expect gen likeness. Nevertheless, I believe DP would be capable of making a more gen like dial, at least in terms of color and sunburst.

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
So scouring through pics of various ZF 15202's and 16202's, it looks like the dates on all the watches are left justified so I guess it's not something you can go in and reposition. Also the caseback is noticeably thicker on the 16202, which explains the extra 0.3mm over the 15202.

Knowing this I may have just gone with the thinner one, but everywhere stated that the cases were identical. Oh well, at least the movement looks a little more interesting than the 15202 and I lucked out on the bezel screws. The QC I pulled this 15202 example from didn't have nearly as nice of screw fitment.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
So scouring through pics of various ZF 15202's and 16202's, it looks like the dates on all the watches are left justified so I guess it's not something you can go in and reposition. Also the caseback is noticeably thicker on the 16202, which explains the extra 0.3mm over the 15202.

Knowing this I may have just gone with the thinner one, but everywhere stated that the cases were identical. Oh well, at least the movement looks a little more interesting than the 15202 and I lucked out on the bezel screws. The QC I pulled this 15202 example from didn't have nearly as nice of screw fitment.
The datewheel can likely be centered, it is not a big issue unless it is a printing defect..

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
If gen is a 5 on the sunburst/luster scale, then ZF is a 2 and DP is a 10. DP is way too shiny and even farther than gen than ZF IMO.
Agreed. I would rather have the ZF dial than the DP.

You should have let me know to work on your date disc while I had it lol, I could have helped!!

Reactions: SuperLory

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
Agreed. I would rather have the ZF dial than the DP.

You should have let me know to work on your date disc while I had it lol, I could have helped!!

I would have if I knew about it! I didn't notice it until after I got it back and took a good look at it in person. I totally missed it on all the QC's. Oh well it's fine. You did a good job silencing the rotor though!

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
Fixed it! Turns out the datewheel was fine, but the dial 12oclock dial foot was considerably off which pushed the top of the dial to the right, making the dates sit too far left and up in the window. Removed that foot and secured the dial with tape. All is good now.

^Super pro watchsmithing toolkit.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Just did 2x 16202 pizza hand mod on the green and rose gold. Very jealous of the new owner. Quite hard for my DSLR to capture the true tone of the rose gold btw, but it looks good IRL. The hands are made from brass so I had to paint the hand mod rose gold so the color matched appropriately.

I also wanted to point out I took a caliper to these and my original ZF 15202 and they are 0.2mm thicker than the 15202. Not much difference. The midcase is the same, just the case back part itself is a bit thicker on the vertical plank closest to the midcase.

3Mk06L.jpg

3MkS2Q.jpg

3MkJj8.jpg

3MkbuR.jpg

Last edited:

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
Just did 2x 16202 pizza hand mod on the green and rose gold. Very jealous of the new owner. Quite hard for my DSLR to capture the true tone of the rose gold btw, but it looks good IRL. The hands are made from brass so I had to paint the hand mod rose gold so the color matched appropriately.

I also wanted to point out I took a caliper to these and my original ZF 15202 and they are 0.2mm thicker than the 15202. Not much difference. The midcase is the same, just the case back part itself is a bit thicker on the vertical plank closest to the midcase.

3Mk06L.jpg

3MkS2Q.jpg

3MkJj8.jpg

3MkbuR.jpg
Looks so much better with the hand base trimmed back, I just received both of these myself so will have to get it done soon!

Zees Watchdiary

Come on you Reds!
Gold Patron
2/1/22
I want a green dial jumbo 15202 or 16202. Just read through this thread and now have a couple of questions

1. I am unsure which one to go for 16202 or 15202. Any thoughts? @legend if you could give me an answer all the way from Singapore that would be amazing (nice to connect I heard so many great things about you here). I’d love to know the pros and cons of each for green dial - not sure if there is one already on the forum?

2. Anyone know someone in London UK who can handle the pizza issue? I need a recommended watch guy close to me.

Thanks all

Last edited: