• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 Royal Oak

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
daf319c6d2a8cb9976936730391d83f9.jpg
d24ec4b8caacb661392041d3052647f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Did you got the one with ZF Tag or with Z+ because we had a discussion in the ZF thread about it. From the pictures my dial looks more like the JF one from the sunburst effect.

Man can you please quit this nonsense ... it’s only stirring up confusion and doesn‘t elaborate anything on an empirical base.

i get the idea of figuring out what the factories are actually coming up with and the differences in between batches. It was always like that when it came to „official“ declarations of different versions.

... but asking for a hang tag to determine the differences is just causing chaos - over the last 4 pages in the other dedicated thread now. Like i said.

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Read the other thread its not "Nonsense" more like prototype dials selling as "real" dials. Thats why iam asking and no its not "nonsense" when dealers are selling shit to customers. Some people really defending every bullshit Dealers are doing, how strange is it that almost all of the other people in the other thread with "Z+" sticker have mate dials?

Iam trying to help people here getting the right watch and dial and not the wrong one. Because Dealers seems like having not a single clue what they are selling. See different Posts with rotated screws which they really wanted to pass to the customer (which is ridiclious and iam not a picky person but screws who are rotated in the complete wrong direction are a no go).

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Reactions: BIONONE

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Did a quick comparison; JFv5 and ZF...

JF:
49258928011_9274a92009_k.jpg

ZF:
49258928086_c74a1354c3_k.jpg

There are some definite differences between the two; if you like the larger, flatter clous pattern (with a very apparent sunburst), the JF is the way to go. The ZF has a smaller, more pronounced CdP, and I have to admit; I wasn't sure how I felt about it when I first had the watch in my hand. But after a day of living with it on my wrist, I've grown to prefer the ZF dial. It seems to have more character to it whereas the large, flat CdP on the JF is (dare I say) a little more sterile? I know this comes down to personal preference, but the more I look at the ZF, the more I appreciate it's personality.

nice review ubi

now if we compare those dials to mech500 gen v rep review, i say the JF tap squares look closer to gen.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...380-jf-ap-15400st-gen-vs-rep-mini-review-blue

fb05b64cd2a9a2ec1dd38cdc34936300.jpg

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
So hear is a question for someone that has taken the new ZF or Z+F or Z+ (all being the same maker) apart. Since they made this thin and made changes to the movement, would a Gen dial go right in without clipping the feet or redrilling holes for the Gen Dial feet?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I would say there is no accepted definition of what gen J series blue looks like. The early and later J batches cold easily have dials from other batches. Can’t prove one way or another. Therefore, I personally don’t worry about comparing rep vs gen blue, so long as the rep looks consistent with what AP could produce and it doesn’t look off.

Yes, the rep does not need to compare specifically with the J series blue dial. I agree with you that as long as the color looks like any one of the AP dial colors it is fine.
The sheen and "sunburst" effects for the gens also differ even within the same series, so once again don't worry about these. For a $500 watch it is good value for money already.
And if one wants to nitpick, the hands, like the JF ones, are off vs gen.
Tigerdragon what is your opinion of the ZF 15400 case/bezel vs JF and gen?

Reactions: Allure

BIONONE

28/4/17
So hear is a question for someone that has taken the new ZF or Z+F or Z+ (all being the same maker) apart. Since they made this thin and made changes to the movement, would a Gen dial go right in without clipping the feet or redrilling holes for the Gen Dial feet?

I doubt it - it is still a 9015 miyota.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Either the gen dial feet need to be clipped to fit the miyota movement (conventional way gen dial on miyota installation is done) or the miyota movement needs to be drilled to accommodate the gen dial. I have not tried the latter so I do not know it is feasible.
But yes, some form of modding is required to fit the gen dial on the rep 15400.

Reactions: Allure and XLR8R

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
Either the gen dial feet need to be clipped to fit the miyota movement (conventional way gen dial on miyota installation is done) or the miyota movement needs to be drilled to accommodate the gen dial. I have not tried the latter so I do not know it is feasible.
But yes, some form of modding is required to fit the gen dial on the rep 15400.
Thank you. I have a JF v2 with gen dial. The plate was drilled to accept the Gen feat. Unfortunately this watch started off as a Local Louie special, so the caseback is actually too thin. I was thinking of picking up one of these ZF and having the dial moved over to it. I guess the plate could just be swapped also.
I also have another one without gen dial. Maybe I will pick up a ZF and do a mash up of the best pieces of the too. For that I will start a new post and get everyone's thoughts on what pieces should come from each of the watches.
Just something fun to do.

Reactions: Nivka and Jurgenk

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
I can’t see the difference. Maybe you guys can? Tigerdragon

Z+ (left), ZF (right):
9f3e49239688c3963871fd5a0397447a.jpg

The lighting is not the same, so the shade of blue varies.

Reactions: SHB

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Same, think that puts that to bed now. The others we saw must have been early specimens.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Yes, the rep does not need to compare specifically with the J series blue dial. I agree with you that as long as the color looks like any one of the AP dial colors it is fine.
The sheen and "sunburst" effects for the gens also differ even within the same series, so once again don't worry about these. For a $500 watch it is good value for money already.
And if one wants to nitpick, the hands, like the JF ones, are off vs gen.
Tigerdragon what is your opinion of the ZF 15400 case/bezel vs JF and gen?
To be honest nothing beats the gen :D this would be ridiculous if they could make the same quality for 500 dollars.

From the rep site I like the ZF Version the construction is closer to gen but I can only compare to my 15400 v2. I still love my V2 and i did find the bezel better (different layout looks more octagon because they used a different gen sample) the ZF looks more like the new series and more "sexy" with bigger reflections etc and more of the polished areas etc.

On the wrist the ZF is better because the bracelet fits much nicer (atleast to my gorilla arms), but I also like the JF v2 bracelet because of the polished endlinks in nicely glows in certain lights which they changed then on gen for a brushed finish.

But were the ZF really destroys the JF is the blue dial. It's epic to be honest it's so most dynamic dial I've ever seen. You can't really capture it. It has so many blue shades its breathtaking I really love it.

As for the thickness my JF V2 is 10.02 and the ZF is smaller like 9.8 or 9.9 but the case is different much thinner than the JF case. The JF case looks "bigger" it's hard to explain.

For me it's the best 15400 rep I've seen in years and I saw a lot of JF Versions :D ZF really nailed it. Iam really looking for the 15202 (sadly not fitting anymore :D ) and 15500 versions (not really a fan of) only because I want to see how good they repped it because the 15400 really looks like a expensive watch on the wrist :) and only costs 500 usd.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
For me it's the best 15400 rep I've seen in years and I saw a lot of JF Versions :D ZF really nailed it. Iam really looking for the 15202 (sadly not fitting anymore :D ) and 15500 versions (not really a fan of) only because I want to see how good they repped it because the 15400 really looks like a expensive watch on the wrist :) and only costs 500 usd.

Can't wait to see the 15500 and Divers, January gonna be a wallet breaker month!

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
The Royal Oak has always been one of those designs that I've had a love/hate feeling for; love how it looks, but never enjoyed how they fit my wrist (especially the older variations with the single fold clasp).

I seem to recall you had one nice old school single fold "Time For The Trees" AP Royal Oak ;)