• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 - First pictures

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Why ??? What is this forum for if we can't ask what we want ? Some are interested in this question !
It's not because you decided how you like a rep that we all have to think like you. Be gentle !

Oh I am sure you don't think like me. And that is perfectly fine lol. I prefer it this way.

As for the "why?", let me ask the question in another way: What is stopping someone buying a color they prefer vs a color just because it is generally perceived to be "closer to gen"? Does it magically turn the watch into a gen one, or something you can present to yourself and others as a gen? If all colors are reps, I don't see how wearing one color makes a difference in terms of what the watch is.
What is the purpose of prioritizing a watch others find more accurate vs one which is preferred by yourself?
And lastly, if you read my other posts, you will find that I am far kinder than I usually am.

Last edited:

jksko

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
12/1/20
Paris
Oh I am sure you don't think like me. And that is perfectly fine lol. I prefer it this way.

As for the "why?", let me ask the question in another way: What is stopping someone buying a color they prefer vs a color just because it is generally perceived to be "closer to gen"? Does it magically turn the watch into a gen one, or something you can present to yourself and others as a gen? If all colors are reps, I don't see how wearing one color makes a difference in terms of what the watch is.
What is the purpose of prioritizing a watch others find more accurate vs one which is preferred by yourself?
And lastly, if you read my other posts, you will find that I am far kinder than I usually am.

I'll not go into that.
Just allow others ask what they want !! Your truth is only yours !

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend, the forum is not yours and I asked a polite and appropriate question. you do not decide what I can ask and I ask you to be kinder.

Doesn't matter whether the forum is mine or not. I am free to post what I please, and unless QueTip or another moderator stops me, I will not be deterred by a member like you, or your little friend.
The thing is, whatever color you choose, they are still all reps, so pick a color you like. If you want a color to look gen, then do what many others have done, buy a gen dial of the color you prefer and install it, and you never have to ask this pointless question again.
Nobody is stopping you from posting what you like, but you do not dictate the responses to it as well, nor do I have to behave according to your expectations. For cheap little rep, you can buy all the colors, rotate them daily and still not break the bank.
:hehehe:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I'll not go into that.
Just allow others ask what they want !! Your truth is only yours !

I don't remember addressing you or responding to any of your posts and I have no issues with you personally.
If I am out of line in anyway, let a moderator tell me so. Or report my post if you think its inappropriate. lol.
I will continue to post what I want to, and you can likewise do the same. Moderators are here when disputes happen. Its how any forum works.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend "stop asking" were your words, so you're the one who would like to impose on others what he can say. I got my answer from a nice user and I have no interest in continuing the boring conversation with you.

Lol. Likewise, have fun convincing yourself that your $400 rep is gen and hope you sleep better at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and BIONONE

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Lol. Likewise, have fun convincing yourself that your $400 rep is gen and hope you sleep better at night.

Your attitude is getting more and more tiresome, if I had a dollar for everytime you've said "it will never be like gen" or similar I could buy a gen, the way you constantly remind us that you own gens and belittle other members with your thinly disguised it will never be as good as mine because you can't afford what I can is arrogant and obnoxious

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Your attitude is getting more and more tiresome, if I had a dollar for everytime you've said "it will never be like gen" or similar I could buy a gen, the way you constantly remind us that you own gens and belittle other members with your thinly disguised it will never be as good as mine because you can't afford what I can is arrogant and obnoxious

Yes, and if I get a dollar for everytime I get that, I can indeed buy another gen. Lol
Those who get it will and those who don’t, will continue not doing so.
You’re fully entitled to your own opinion. It does not deter me nor do I see a need to change, or explain myself to you. There’s the ignore button and that’s useful for you in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
GUYS!! Let's not let this go the wrong direction.

The full point and TLDR of this discussion is: one should get whatever colour scheme of dial they like and not what's closest to gen being a rep, it will always have other imperfections and thus never be perfect which we all know, so the question for the gen likeness of x is rather subjective if we're still taking into account that there are many other flaws that cannot easily be corrected. I do agree with Legend in this regard. It's not that he wants to belittle anything, just being real talking about the flaws of the watches the rep makers are pumping out. This is something that should be appreciated if you ask me. That's how I get all of this, am I getting it wrong at any point?

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the colour schemes of the dials on the 15400 as there are many iterations and during the production periods, there have been different types of finishes and colours used by LB Factory.

However let's not forget that this specific question has been tackled thoroughly already in even this specific thread so if the member that asked that question would've done some research on this matter, he would've come up with the answers. It's sometimes frustrating to senior members to have to repeat themselves over and over again explaining the same thing endlessly and I absolutely get it.

So can we go back to topic now?!

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
GUYS!! Let's not let this go the wrong direction.

The full point and TLDR of this discussion is: one should get whatever colour scheme of dial they like and not what's closest to gen being a rep, it will always have other imperfections and thus never be perfect which we all know, so the question for the gen likeness of x is rather subjective if we're still taking into account that there are many other flaws that cannot easily be corrected. I do agree with Legend in this regard. It's not that he wants to belittle anything, just being real talking about the flaws of the watches the rep makers are pumping out. This is something that should be appreciated if you ask me. That's how I get all of this, am I getting it wrong at any point?

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the colour schemes of the dials on the 15400 as there are many iterations and during the production periods, there have been different types of finishes and colours used by LB Factory.

However let's not forget that this specific question has been tackled thoroughly already in even this specific thread so if the member that asked that question would've done some research on this matter, he would've come up with the answers. It's sometimes frustrating to senior members to have to repeat themselves over and over again explaining the same thing endlessly and I absolutely get it.

So can we go back to topic now?!

Thank you QueTip I appreciate your input.

My intention wasn't to belittle anyone or reps, or being condescending comparing them to my gens. My point was that be it silver, black, grey or blue, none of them, and I mean not one, is 1:1 to gen. So the answer to "which is closer to gen?" is actually a moot point. Every color will have its fair share of supporters, so there is nothing wrong with buying what you prefer rather than which is "closer" based on opinions of others, which is as good as your own opinion. Also, if you think about it, why should anyone buy any dial color just because it is stated by another member to be "closer to gen", rather than what he prefers? What is the intention in this case if not to emulate the gen better? In this case, my advice to install the gen dial was sound.

Anyway, with respect to Quetip, I shall cease and desist going forward. Members will always think what they think, and likewise for me. New members coming on and asking the same question for the Nth time can be inconsiderate and annoying for the rest of us who actually bother to read, not to mention that any answer provided in the case of the dial color will be subjective, and even if 34 members support the silver dial and 25 backs the black dial, it does not make the silver dial 1:1 to the gen. If none of the dial colors/finish are 1:1, then the interpretation of the amount of difference will be subjective as everyone perceives color differently.

I will not apologize for giving my opinion as I have stated many times that the forum is made up of individual opinions, some we agree with, and others we do not. But remember that my opinion has the same weightage as any other individual's. Read it and agree with it if you like, and feel free to debate/disagree with it otherwise. It makes no difference to me. I do not care about being popular, being well-liked, or being among the consensus. It does not influence or affect me for example, if 100 members post that the v9.5 diver is a super rep. I do not think it is and I will say so, along with reasons why I think so.

So peace to y'all, and no I will not stop calling it the way I see it. But I will reiterate that what I post, like any of your posts, is the way I see it. I will not post to please anyone or to agree with the popular consensus. If that makes me the bad guy, so be it. If I care about what any stranger or online acquaintance thinks of me, I would have stopped posting about 4300 posts ago. But to me, it is more important that members learn and have something to think about, rather than be complacent and think that they are wearing a watch nobody can call out... and one day be embarrassed in real life. That has no doubt happened before and will no doubt happen again. Nobody will talk about it or admit it, but lets just say that not every who wears a rep will present it as a rep, and leave it at that.

Whatever I post, will be nothing personal against anyone, as the object of discussion will always be the watch. A newbie posting a pic of his gen will not make it any less of a gen, and any senior member posting a canal street rep will not elevate it above something the cat dragged in.

For those of you who know me personally, you know who I am and that is good enough for me. For those who don't, it really doesn't matter the names and labels you use, I have stopped letting myself get affected by these since I was in high school. My intention is never to join the praise-parade in any thread though I will give compliments if I see something worthy of complimenting. I prefer that members see and learn for themselves as opposed to asking questions for which the answers will be subjective. Then what they come away with is another guy's opinion and that may not be of real benefit to the guy asking the question, and yes even my input is one guy's opinion. You get to decide how much weight you place on it, but no matter what, nobody's opinion should form the absolute truth for you.

Last edited:

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
FFS. A member posts excellent and novel side by side photos of gen and rep dials on a new release. Another member compliments the and asks if it is good. Then we have a complete derailment. If you want to talk about the philosophy of gen Vs rep and why buy which, start a new thread. Let’s keep this to the zf 15400

cassapanca fantastic shots. I’d thought about buying a gen dial, but the rep looks close enough in the side by side I don’t know if id invest $1k. Thanks for sharing

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Back to topic now guys, please.

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
FFS. A member posts excellent and novel side by side photos of gen and rep dials on a new release. Another member compliments the and asks if it is good. Then we have a complete derailment. If you want to talk about the philosophy of gen Vs rep and why buy which, start a new thread. Let’s keep this to the zf 15400

cassapanca fantastic shots. I’d thought about buying a gen dial, but the rep looks close enough in the side by side I don’t know if id invest $1k. Thanks for sharing

Many many thanks Nivka !!
Honestly I own that dial (brand new) since about one year.. I didn’t like the jf 15400 because of the thickness.. when zf released the white dial I have ordered it. Now I’m going to go straight with my project but I agree with you that the zf dial is really very nice! I will post some pictures under sunlight

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Many many thanks Nivka !!
Honestly I own that dial (brand new) since about one year.. I didn’t like the jf 15400 because of the thickness.. when zf released the white dial I have ordered it. Now I’m going to go straight with my project but I agree with you that the zf dial is really very nice! I will post some pictures under sunlight

Sometimes I like to leave my little Rolex corner and venture off to the AP or Omega sections or whatever thinking surely it won't be full of people nitpicking in the same way and showing off their gen parts vs rep parts and me inadvertently learning to distinguish between the two (for better or worse)... but... here we are lol. (By the way, this is said 100% comically and good heartedly in regards to you and everyone else here!).

BUT I think this ZF dial is fantastic. I had to look back and forth between your gen and your ZF to really see if I actually saw the "refinement" of the gen, or if I was just projecting it because its "gen." And I did eventually come to appreciate the differences, so congrats on ur gen dial!

I've been wanting a white watch. Inching closer and closer to buying one of these bad boys.

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
I agree.. I own this dial since one year so I decided to install it but the stock zf dial is really nice. In real life the difference between gen and rep is a little more visible than in picture

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Sometimes I like to leave my little Rolex corner and venture off to the AP or Omega sections or whatever thinking surely it won't be full of people nitpicking in the same way and showing off their gen parts vs rep parts and me inadvertently learning to distinguish between the two (for better or worse)... but... here we are lol. (By the way, this is said 100% comically and good heartedly in regards to you and everyone else here!).

BUT I think this ZF dial is fantastic. I had to look back and forth between your gen and your ZF to really see if I actually saw the "refinement" of the gen, or if I was just projecting it because its "gen." And I did eventually come to appreciate the differences, so congrats on ur gen dial!

I've been wanting a white watch. Inching closer and closer to buying one of these bad boys.

A lot of things can’t be seen in pics even macro... but the differences between gen and rep (in AP world) is always night and day in naked eye

Reactions: Dissemination

Hertzen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/20
After years of wearing gen Rolexes neural network in my mind triggers every time I see a rep - all of them, even the best ones, are a bit off, even if it's often unclear what exactly is wrong.

At the same time, I understand that if I didn't had gens, I would never spot any differences between best Rolex reps and gens.

I wonder if it will be the case for AP : )

Reactions: Dissemination