• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 - First pictures

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Sorry I'm new.
Thanks for your answer.
So you recommend to read all the page? Or do you use a tool to know which pages are relevant?

Everything. Page 1-79.

Do the same for the 15500 thread which can be found using the search function... that is shorter, 1-39.

Personally I mostly skip the first 5 pages, as it's mostly talking about pre-orders before people get the watches. But once people start posting actual "real life" pictures of watches and discussing, its important to read everything. Unfortunately, the reason you have to read so many posts is because of people like you asking very simple questions that have already been discussed... and then someone like me saying "go read". It's endless.

The reason we say go read is because these are replicas, there is no perfect replica. They all have flaws, some you might live with, others you might not wish to. Therefore you must find these out. Only you, know what youre comfortable with.

jksko

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
12/1/20
Paris
Everything. Page 1-79.

Do the same for the 15500 thread which can be found using the search function... that is shorter, 1-39.

Personally I mostly skip the first 5 pages, as it's mostly talking about pre-orders before people get the watches. But once people start posting actual "real life" pictures of watches and discussing, its important to read everything. Unfortunately, the reason you have to read so many posts is because of people like you asking very simple questions that have already been discussed... and then someone like me saying "go read". It's endless.

The reason we say go read is because these are replicas, there is no perfect replica. They all have flaws, some you might live with, others you might not wish to. Therefore you must find these out. Only you, know what youre comfortable with.

Ohhh I understand about the thread... Sorry
Thank you for your answer ! I'll check

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Everything. Page 1-79.

I always feel happy when I read a reply like this. Someone gets it!
Hello J btw lol.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi Gent, would you consider the the 15400 from ZF as a super clone ?
If you had to choose in between a 15500 and 15400, which one is the the closest to super clone ?

To answer your questions simply:

1. No. There is no AP "super clone". I dislike that term personally, because it is misleading in so many ways

2. It is a matter of personal choice. Lets answer this plainly in the context you meant it: Either one can fool people around you into thinking that it can be genuine. But YOU will ALWAYS and FOREVER know that it is a rep, so does it even matter?
To give an example: Now suppose I say silver 15400 is the dial color closer to gen vs a black 15500, but your own preference is the black dial. Now are you therefore going to put the black 15500 aside to buy the silver 15400 then, just because it is visually more accurate? If so, why so? So that you and others can be fooled into thinking at the watch is genuine each time you look at the dial? Just buy the color you like and enjoy it. It is a $400 watch. A brand new rubber strap and buckle and plots from AP cost twice that amount. Even if you buy all the colors of the 15400 and 15500, the total cost is still an insignificant fraction of what a gen costs. If you are not paying 1:1 of the price, please do not expect to be able to get a 1:1 quality of the watch. There is no such equation in this world, and definitely not in this hobby. This is a rep watch, and it will never be gen and that is 100% OK in this hobby. You can expect to pay 3-5% of the gen price and get say.. 70-80% of the likeness of the gen watch, looks wise. These percentages are arbitrary and subjective, so form your own equation and be happy with your decision.

Hertzen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/20
Friends,

Was quite amazed with this section of the forum - I'm an long-time AP fan (even almost bought gen 15300 once, but was talked out after realizing watch had a movement problem; now looking to buy gen 15450 with white / blue dial - my wrist is not small at all, but prefer smaller / subtler watches).

Over the course of last few days I think I've read at lest several hundreds of pages here. I'm thinking about buying an AP rep to entertain myself. I'm not looking for something super close to gen - it will never be gen anyway - but rather for something that looks good to me and has a good built quality.

As I've read this and few other topics, I understood that forum's concensus is probably that:
15202 XF > 15500 ZF > 15400 ZF > 15400 JF v5

15202 in a nutshell is a different watch and is hard to compare with others, but I'm a bit confused about the preferences for the modern versions. Based on the pics / videos I've seen (I know that it's not real life feelings, so not accurate) 15400 JF looks superb due to dial execution and color. To second this, many people also note that JF bracelet is better, and bracelet is one of the best things about Royal Oak.
Why is then the overall consensus that 15500 ZF is a better watch? Is that just it being thinner / closer to gen? Or quality is also much better? That's, I guess, something I can never catch on youtube videos, so asking people who have tried both.

P.S.: yes, there is no problem in buying both or all at the same time and deciding which I like more, but I just don't like having multiples of something that I don't use - I give away things like that, and I don't want to give away rep watches - don't think it's a good gift.

P.P.S: always thought that "fake watches are for fake people" and wore gens only, but amused by the level of watch tech knowledge of this community, even compared to gen community.

Last edited:

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
Man, after a bit scrolling through this Thread... This watch is just stunning. But really nothing for me and my 6.1 Inch whrist. The smaller 15202 has no second hand, what bothers me too much.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Do some wrist curls! :)

I've got slim wrists as well but I do have 41mm Seamaster which looks fine. Small watches are just too understated in my opinion.

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
Sorry if this has been asked before but what kind of time accuracy does this watch have?

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been asked before but what kind of time accuracy does this watch have?

It's a replica movement, it's not a swiss movement. You shouldn't be expecting COSC standards (-4 to +6). An unserviced, unregulated replica watch built in not ideal conditions (for the most part) will not be expected to compete anywhere near this. Some do, but that is just luck.

Anywhere between -30 and +30 seconds per day, would be 'normal'. If you got one a timegrapher that is more than this, it's certainly broken/in need of repair. But don't expect miracles... you're paying $400 and most of that $400 is going on the case / bracelet construction.

Good thing is that most rep movements can be serviced and can be regulated to be made better. But don't expect Swiss standards from Chinese replicas, you'll just end up being disappointed.

However, I'll teach you a trick that I do with my watches. I tend to buy asian ETA clones... 2824's etc. Because that way if I really like the watch... I will 9 times out of 10, send it to a watchmaker and get them to fit a genuine ETA swiss made movement. So, where possible seek out the ETA clones and then if you truly love your watch in the future you can start the process of making it better.

Reactions: RonP and QueTip

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
It's a replica movement, it's not a swiss movement. You shouldn't be expecting COSC standards (-4 to +6). An unserviced, unregulated replica watch built in not ideal conditions (for the most part) will not be expected to compete anywhere near this. Some do, but that is just luck.

Anywhere between -30 and +30 seconds per day, would be 'normal'. If you got one a timegrapher that is more than this, it's certainly broken/in need of repair. But don't expect miracles... you're paying $400 and most of that $400 is going on the case / bracelet construction.

Good thing is that most rep movements can be serviced and can be regulated to be made better. But don't expect Swiss standards from Chinese replicas, you'll just end up being disappointed.

However, I'll teach you a trick that I do with my watches. I tend to buy asian ETA clones... 2824's etc. Because that way if I really like the watch... I will 9 times out of 10, send it to a watchmaker and get them to fit a genuine ETA swiss made movement. So, where possible seek out the ETA clones and then if you truly love your watch in the future you can start the process of making it better.

Thanks for the info. The noob V3 Daytona I had which had the clone movement was very good, +/- 5s a day. I'll just have to get this one regulated when I decide to pull the trigger.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Doesn't work that way. Each movement precision and accuracy is different, and even between serviced movements, no 2 movements have exactly the same precision and accuracy in every position, given the number of variations in the movement balance assembly, gears and train components. The tolerance of the miyota movement is about 20 sec per day, but most fall within 10 seconds.
Also, a movement which keeps x seconds in a certain position and moment may not keep the same accuracy when tilted or moved, or on another day. Hence a watch movement is about the average accuracy instead of a snapshot one. Also, regulating works a lot more meaningfully on a clean and serviced movement rather than an unserviced one.
Asian movements in general are reliable these days, and good enough for timekeeping. You may wish to get the movement properly serviced and regulated if you wear it often enough.

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
Doesn't work that way. Each movement precision and accuracy is different, and even between serviced movements, no 2 movements have exactly the same precision and accuracy in every position, given the number of variations in the movement balance assembly, gears and train components. The tolerance of the miyota movement is about 20 sec per day, but most fall within 10 seconds.
Also, a movement which keeps x seconds in a certain position and moment may not keep the same accuracy when tilted or moved, or on another day. Hence a watch movement is about the average accuracy instead of a snapshot one. Also, regulating works a lot more meaningfully on a clean and serviced movement rather than an unserviced one.
Asian movements in general are reliable these days, and good enough for timekeeping. You may wish to get the movement properly serviced and regulated if you wear it often enough.

I had a Seiko Sarb033 which had the 6R15 movement, I was happy with the accuracy of that and I've read that this 9015 should be similar in accuracy.

I've decided not to go for this watch and have just paid for the 15500. The 15500 did look strange and somewhat 'bare' to me at first but the more I look at it the more I like it. It looks to be more modern and versatile, the kind of watch that can work with a suit and jeans.

I guess it's like when a new BMW or Mercedes is released, it may look strange at first but after a little while it really comes into it's own and the previous model begins to look a bit outdated.

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
Today my zf 15400 has arrived. It comes from KSwatches and I am very happy for their work. Very good communication, very fast answers.. I will come back to them. I think that the overall quality of this watch is really good, also the dial is good, but I am going to send it to my friend @johnnydepp who will install my gen dial

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Jasonp

jksko

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
12/1/20
Paris
stop asking if a particular color is close to gen than the others.
They are all reps and you should just get the color you like, unless you are trying to fool yourself or others that it is gen.

Why ??? What is this forum for if we can't ask what we want ? Some are interested in this question !
It's not because you decided how you like a rep that we all have to think like you. Be gentle !

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
Nice, the zf dial looks very close to the gen. is this so?

Yes, the zf dial is really good. The overall color is close, if you look closely the squares on the dial are a bit little than the gen and in some lights the gen is more shiny.. today I try to look them in the sunlight, yesterday it was cloudy