• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 - First pictures

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Fair play man i can’t fault that. I don't think I’ve ever tested a watch i didn't lube up first but i guess i’m just extra careful. Silicone lube is your friend when it comes to wr!

Don't forget to tell them that you never met a pink dial you don't love too, while you are at it Dr FS. lol

Flay

Known Member
27/10/19
Re: The bracelets; loose or tight are hard qualities to understand unless you are there. Let me try. If I set each of the 3 watches on their face with the bracelets closed, the Z+F sags the most, followed by the Gen, with the JF V5 sagging the least. In other words the bracelet forms a near perfect oval with the JF and with the Gen I get maybe a 3/8ths in sag at the clasp and with the Z+F I get about a 3/4 in sag in the middle at the clasp. And frankly I can't really call any of them "rough." If I am being really nitpicky I would call the Gen a smoother wearing bracelet but the difference is so subtle I never notice. My JF is a blue dial, but both my gen and the Z+F are black dials and between the two I can see no noticeable difference from the top or sides even with a 3.5 power loupe unless of course I look at the movement. There are quite a few tells there the larges of course being the orientation of the movement. I can tell the difference between the thickness of the Gen and the JF but it is not all that great as my JF calipers out at 10.2 mm. The Z+F is a bit under 10 mm and my Gen is 9.9 mm with my calipers which unfortunately are plastic so those measurements may be relative but not accurate. I frankly am blown away by the accuracy on the dial and the hands of the Z+F. Again if I am being very nitpicky I might be forced to say the date wheel on the Z+F is a part of a tenth of a mm below the bottom of the dial where the Gen it is right up against the back of the dial. But again that takes a LED flashlight and a loupe to make that statement.

Pls some photos of the Z+ VS Gen :)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Don't forget to tell them that you never met a pink dial you don't love too, while you are at it Dr FS. lol
Well i got this for the mrs a few years ago. Quality aside i like the colour scheme :)

e2zpk.jpg

Reactions: Dissemination

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Well i got this for the mrs a few years ago. Quality aside i like the colour scheme :)

e2zpk.jpg

Well I don't know which is more disturbing, the pink dial you are showing, or the recent puerile mudslinging by a well-known modder.
Its a close tie, but if you show something like that again good doctor, we are going to have to cease being friendly with each other, on account on very conflicting tastes in watches. :hehehe:

Reactions: Allure

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Well I don't know which is more disturbing, the pink dial you are showing, or the recent puerile mudslinging by a well-known modder.
Its a close tie, but if you show something like that again good doctor, we are going to have to cease being friendly with each other, on account on very conflicting tastes in watches. :hehehe:

Mate that is all class! Bamford are just pissed off they didnt think of it first... my favourite part is the non magnifying cyclops that has drifted way off towards the crown, but luckily my mrs has no idea what any of those words mean! Im still working on the pink royal oak project, i just want to get it right so its taking some time :)

Reactions: legend

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
Re: The bracelets; loose or tight are hard qualities to understand unless you are there. Let me try. If I set each of the 3 watches on their face with the bracelets closed, the Z+F sags the most, followed by the Gen, with the JF V5 sagging the least. In other words the bracelet forms a near perfect oval with the JF and with the Gen I get maybe a 3/8ths in sag at the clasp and with the Z+F I get about a 3/4 in sag in the middle at the clasp. And frankly I can't really call any of them "rough." If I am being really nitpicky I would call the Gen a smoother wearing bracelet but the difference is so subtle I never notice. My JF is a blue dial, but both my gen and the Z+F are black dials and between the two I can see no noticeable difference from the top or sides even with a 3.5 power loupe unless of course I look at the movement. There are quite a few tells there the larges of course being the orientation of the movement. I can tell the difference between the thickness of the Gen and the JF but it is not all that great as my JF calipers out at 10.2 mm. The Z+F is a bit under 10 mm and my Gen is 9.9 mm with my calipers which unfortunately are plastic so those measurements may be relative but not accurate. I frankly am blown away by the accuracy on the dial and the hands of the Z+F. Again if I am being very nitpicky I might be forced to say the date wheel on the Z+F is a part of a tenth of a mm below the bottom of the dial where the Gen it is right up against the back of the dial. But again that takes a LED flashlight and a loupe to make that statement.

It’s a very good news if a gen owner is impressed of the z+f dial. Thank you for your post. (Hope for gen near z+f pics)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Rolemars

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
any word on when the white dial should be released?

anxious to get one of these beauties.

Last edited:

MiamiPH

Horology Curious
9/10/19
Just received my black dial and it is horrible quality compared to my 3 other JF Ap ROOs.

Rotor must be extremely thin/light. It makes a horrendously loud noise that oil will not fix. The rotor besides looking extremely thin/cheap also looks warped.

The bezel screws are not recessed. 2 are like half recessed others are completely flat.

Ap logo bracelet clasp is extremely loose and something on the bracelet squeaks when you move it around a bit.

The watch feels much lower quality than my other replica AP's. Honestly seems like something you would buy for $80 out of the back of a van at a flea market. (No experience there lol)

Also note I brought the clasp + movement noise to PT's attention when doing QC to make sure they dont send me something like this. Also mentioned the bezel screws not looking recessed. They said its just the angle/lighting and that they are recessed.

All in all....the manufacturer is probably throwing things together with zero quality control, on a brand new watch that they dont have any experience with, and it was replicated on the cheapest worn out gen AP 15400 they could find.

With that being said... buy at your own peril.

Reactions: gigi77

shortlegs

31/5/19
MiamiPH Not sure if all the other ZF 15400 reps are similar. QC has always been so hit or miss with these factories. My JF 15400 also had major QC problems until I felt bad and accepted the one with the least problems before my TD gets upset.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
on Gen sometimes the screws are also not recessed. As for the rotor, like i said before, all the thinning comes with a price....

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Just received my black dial and it is horrible quality compared to my 3 other JF Ap ROOs.

Rotor must be extremely thin/light. It makes a horrendously loud noise that oil will not fix. The rotor besides looking extremely thin/cheap also looks warped.

The bezel screws are not recessed. 2 are like half recessed others are completely flat.

Ap logo bracelet clasp is extremely loose and something on the bracelet squeaks when you move it around a bit.

The watch feels much lower quality than my other replica AP's. Honestly seems like something you would buy for $80 out of the back of a van at a flea market. (No experience there lol)

Also note I brought the clasp + movement noise to PT's attention when doing QC to make sure they dont send me something like this. Also mentioned the bezel screws not looking recessed. They said its just the angle/lighting and that they are recessed.

All in all....the manufacturer is probably throwing things together with zero quality control, on a brand new watch that they dont have any experience with, and it was replicated on the cheapest worn out gen AP 15400 they could find.

With that being said... buy at your own peril.

The rotor itself cannot make any noise. The sound comes from the rotor bearing assembly. I am certain that this issue can be resolved, no exceptions.
Gen AP screws, especially on modern royal oaks, are not noticeably recessed. This is a common perception error, that if it is not recessed, then its rep. That isn't true at all. Most of the screws on my gen APs are flush against the bezel. Does it make them rep? So don't obsess over it. Take it from a gen owner.
For the rest of the points, I do not have enough knowledge of the ZF 15400 to comment.

Reactions: Allure and N0tail_

MiamiPH

Horology Curious
9/10/19
legend thank you for the input. I believe the rotor may also be loose as it is not just miyota loud. It is definitely a problem.

MiamiPH

Horology Curious
9/10/19
legend its probably going to go up for sale on here. It was going to be a gift for the holidays, which is now not happening.

jun0221

Horology Curious
7/6/18
I dont't agree that zf's iteration of 15400 is poor quality. About the rotor noise, I own a set of miyota 9015 watches(ppf nautilus white, blue, zf aquanaut, jf 15400 v5) and zf rotor was the most silent OOTB.

I have a black jf v5 and I've compared the two.
ZF's strenghts are : Dial looks great, 1mm thickness difference makes it much more comfortable than the jf, bracelet tension/gap is closer to gen than that of jf, rotor bearing gap/ rotor color.

downfalls of ZF are : clasp buckle spring was very stiff OOTB. JF datewheel is obviously better. Bezel screw recession doesn't bother me much but zf's is flatter than JF.

Overall I'm really satisfied with ZF 15400 and it felt ZF really tried to fix JF's problems. Of course they failed to do so in some points, lol. Jf has advantages but since ZF 15400 feels much more comfortable on my wrist I prefer zf over jf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolemars