• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Yngwie Malmsteen and Rolex

ghosty999

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/14
I've heard rumours we wore fakes in the 80s, what do you guys think? Also any other guitarists got good watch taste?

e6anh3.jpg

2nbyrld.jpg

jv0rvr.jpg

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Being a Rolex ambassador I don't think he needs to wear reps, but regarding taste... let's just say he's better at playing guitar ;)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Hey I was the first to hang Rolex's on Fenders. He stole that from me :D

clareynet

Horology Curious
4/7/14
I have heard of him but didn't know he was a Rolex fan. Thanks for sharing.

ghosty999

Banned
1/5/14
Yeah much like my tag line, he is a ferrari, rolex and fender freak! I also know BB King had a collection of Subs. I read recently in yngwies unofficial biog that he would go round showing off his reps he'd get in the markets in LA and always swap his guitar at the end of shops with a chinese copy to smash up. also rumours that his ferrari daytona was one of the fiero copies like on Miami Vice!

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
I love me some Yngwie (ING vay) for you yankee's. I have been a fan of his since he got here from Sweden in 1984 with Steeler. A egomanic YES. A seriously talented musician YES. A virtuoso YES and YES...a Rolex fan YES...a Ferrari fan YES. A dick YES but if you dig him you dig him. He lives South Florida today, hell has for decades.

Oh BTW...his name is really Lanerbach. Malmsteen is his mothers maiden name.

Yngwie fan still today. Favorite album Odessy, 1989

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Yup, the Gen gold Daytonas did come with an optional Jubilee at one time. It was available, "for the comfort factor" as some older ADs used to say. The Jube was indeed the "more comfortable" bracelet that Rolex made, and I and many others believe that, it wraps around your wrist like no other. Even GMTs, mostly gold, came with them too.

ghosty999

Banned
1/5/14
He also used to have Replica Fenders to smash up on stage at the end of each night! His Rolex collection is vast but I'm sure there are a few good reps in there. Here is him buying a Rolex at the end of the video, looks like the 4 month waiting list means nothing to him haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAHi3-dHIw

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
No sir, TNaC (luthier) has taken a hiatus that he has not returned from as of yet.

UmpaHimself

7/6/12
To answer OP. Eric Clapton and John Mayer are just two of many guitarists know for their taste in high end and rare timepieces. Eric really has a stunning collection, very heavy in Rolex and vintage Daytonas. Now I think both him and Mayer are leaning towards the vintage Patek side of things.

Where can I get one of the RepPauls?
Hey, if you want a cheaper LP go for a MIJ "lawsuit era" like a Tokai, Greco or Burny. Japanese makers produced high end replicas of late 50's early 60's Fenders and Gibsons in the 70's & 80's when the (then) current USA models were reaching extremely low quality. The quality of those MIJ "lawsuit era" guitars are arguably what caused Fender, Gibson and others to start with their Reissue series and bring back the quality American guitars were known for.

I have a 1983 Tokai '62 Stratocaster and an early 2000s Epiphone Elite '59 Burst. Both made in Japan and both rival my American Fender Deluxe Strat and Gibson gold top LP.
nwyGcV3.jpg

8T1ZPDa.jpg

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
They now refer to the Gibson copies as "Chibson" and the copies of the Ric's as "Chickenbackers" :D