• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
AP definitely DOESN'T fly under the radar. As a Gen owner of a 15400 AP Blue dial, the bracelet is v v flashy and shiny, AP is very well known even to non watch geeks these days.

+1.

There was a time when AP was not as well-known (or in demand, or as expensive) but even non watch guys are starting to be aware of what the brand is about. Even the most basic model, like what you mentioned, the 15400, draws attention like bees to honey.
Hello btw Ben_Stokes my fellow gen AP owner. Always good to read posts from you.

Reactions: Allure and vcappp

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
A surprising amount of women I meet know what an AP is, whereas my Nautilus never really gets any comments. My sub gets much less notice than my ROs as well in my experience. The shine of the bracelet kind of just screams expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

Ben_Stokes

Getting To Know The Place
14/4/20
+1.

There was a time when AP was not as well-known (or in demand, or as expensive) but even non watch guys are starting to be aware of what the brand is about. Even the most basic model, like what you mentioned, the 15400, draws attention like bees to honey.
Hello btw Ben_Stokes my fellow gen AP owner. Always good to read posts from you.

Hi mate, cheers for that. Got some spare time on my hands before the next Test match :p
Which was why it was one of the reasons I wanted to change the bracelet to a strap but not only does it come with a hefty cost (not so much the strap but the AP buckle) but q inconvenient to go to an AP boutique every time you wanna swap to a strap. As I always said, the RO bracelet might as well have diamonds embedded in it for how much it sparkles, even in normal office light.

Sonofalich

James
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
AP definitely DOESN'T fly under the radar. As a Gen owner of a 15400 AP Blue dial, the bracelet is v v flashy and shiny, AP is very well known even to non watch geeks these days.

In my experience, they're not.
More younger people are starting to know the name AP because of rappers and celebrities but few actually see them in the wild. Plus the ones the rappers and celebs are wearing tend to be a bit more bling than your average steel royal oak. I would say that the offshore series are less subtle, by size but also by their functions and bling potential. It's why outside of the AP Offshore Diver, I'm not a fan.

The bracelet is shiny sure, but there are many shiny things in this world now. Once upon a time a shiny bracelet would have been the mark of an outstanding craftsman. Now the Chinese are copying 90-95% of it's quality for less than $500. This also applies to fashion watches, cheaper brands etc.

Shiny does not mean expensive, it means shiny.

The finishing isn't as special as what it once was. You could even argue that the Swiss brands are overpriced (purposely so, but that's another conversation).

Most people will think you've got a nice watch, just a shame it's missing the Rolex brand. Around 5% of people might actually know what an AP is... and 1% might recognise what you're actually wearing.

This is a niche game, and we're mentalists. The average joe is content with their fitbit/apple watch / quartz seiko/ quartz citizen.

I deal with the very very rich on a daily basis due to my job. Most of them are wearing Patek/Rolex. I see very few AP's in my day-day and the sad thing is, once I get to know a client. I'll complement them on their watches and talk to them. But even then... I'd say only 1 in 10 actually has a clue wtf I'm talking about. Most of them smile and say thanks. In fact, one of my youngest clients was wearing a Calatrava, WG. I complimented him on it, and he had no idea Patek was even a good brand. This guy and his family are not idiots by a long stretch, they just didn't really care about watches.

My point is, the majority of the swiss brands are unknown to almost all people that are outside of our niche circle.

If you're working in an industry where selling fashion goods / high end luxury goods, then obviously your mileage will vary. But in the normal world, outside our WIS circles... you'd be lucky for anyone to say "nice watch".

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
Can anybody recommend a good modder in the UK / EU for the relume work??

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
More younger people are starting to know the name AP because of rappers and celebrities but few actually see them in the wild. Plus the ones the rappers and celebs are wearing tend to be a bit more bling than your average steel royal oak. I would say that the offshore series are less subtle, by size but also by their functions and bling potential. It's why outside of the AP Offshore Diver, I'm not a fan.

The bracelet is shiny sure, but there are many shiny things in this world now. Once upon a time a shiny bracelet would have been the mark of an outstanding craftsman. Now the Chinese are copying 90-95% of it's quality for less than $500. This also applies to fashion watches, cheaper brands etc.

The finishing isn't as special as what it once was. You could even argue that the Swiss brands are overpriced (purposely so, but that's another conversation).

Most people will think you've got a nice watch, just a shame it's missing the Rolex brand. Around 5% of people might actually know what an AP is... and 1% might recognise what you're actually wearing.

This is a niche game, and we're mentalists. The average joe is content with their fitbit/apple watch / quartz seiko/ quartz citizen.

I deal with the very very rich on a daily basis due to my job. Most of them are wearing Patek/Rolex. I see very few AP's in my day-day and the sad thing is, once I get to know a client. I'll complement them on their watches and talk to them. But even then... I'd say only 1 in 10 actually has a clue wtf I'm talking about. Most of them smile and say thanks. In fact, one of my youngest clients was wearing a Calatrava, WG. I complimented him on it, and he had no idea Patek was even a good brand. This guy and his family are not idiots by a long stretch, they just didn't really care about watches.

My point is, the majority of the swiss brands are unknown to almost all people that are outside of our niche circle.

If you're working in an industry where selling fashion goods / high end luxury goods, then obviously your mileage will vary. But in the normal world, outside our WIS circles... you'd be lucky for anyone to say "nice watch".

Completely agree with you on this

T'Challa

22/7/19

Marry into that family and receive the 'not even a good brand' blessings ;)

King Louis

24/6/20
Can anybody recommend a good modder in the UK / EU for the relume work??

I‘ll get mine done in Germany. Will share pics here in a couple of weeks, then you can decide if it’s an option for you.

King Louis

24/6/20
I’ve got a question for you: Some of the edges on the V2, especially on the clasp, are particularly sharp. Do you have any do it yourself-tips for chamfering these edges without taking off too much material? Thank you in advance!

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
Guys, please take a look at my QC pics recently received. I have a major concern over the bracelet fitting / attachment end links to the watch. I know this has been a bit of an issue with this particular rep, but these look awful to me. I would appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks.

King Louis

24/6/20
Seems like the plastic protection bends the bracelet. Does not look worse to me than on any other QC pic I’ve seen.
Plus, your lume looks more white than on the last shipped V2s posted on this forum.

Reactions: vcappp and Akilles

theREALgoat

Respected Member
Certified
14/8/14
Gotten my watch today, delivery time took a week. Really fast and the response from TD is great! The watch really look great!

...Tried removing the links and one of the screw was really tough and I damaged it by accident with a bleeding thumb...

The screw quality is trash on this watch, its not yours. I've owned two of these bracelets and they bend quite easily and sometimes they come stuck.

Reactions: ettorefranco

Firecomet

13/5/18
The screw quality is trash on this watch, its not yours. I've owned two of these bracelets and they bend quite easily and sometimes they come stuck.

I do want to remove the stucked screws though.. haha..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
The TD is Puretime - and I've also got a JF dial on order, so it looks like I might have a spare decent dial if I do accept these QC pics :)

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
26/9/12
The gap is about 1mm and the gens is probably .8mm. So not a big deal. Lume looks great on this one!

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
26/9/12
My restless ocd brain wonders. Have XF changed back to white markers or does Puretime have a different light studio than the other TDs...

Any new QC pics that answers that question are appreciated!

Must have changed lume color. The one I got ordered on July 2 is yellowish. This new batch looks nice.

Ivancomex

26/11/15
Guys, please take a look at my QC pics recently received. I have a major concern over the bracelet fitting / attachment end links to the watch. I know this has been a bit of an issue with this particular rep, but these look awful to me. I would appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks.

sorry I don't understand if they are the photos, but the tapisserie is non-existent on the surface?