• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF 15707 ceramic V2

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
15707 xf v2 on rubber

15703 noob v5.1 fully modded

BTW I’m measuring the FC at 142 grams with stock strap
Are you sure ? cos it should be way lighter

my FC lw spidolite which is about there as case and dimensions to a fc diver

Reactions: vcappp

Steste

12/5/18
XF crystal is a huge tell, that green glaring flaw is so damn noticeable, people can instantly tell that’s a rep across the street. Stock Cyclops is kind of muddy, it needs replacement as well. Low beat movement is good to have if you want to achieve gen stats, but not necessary. Datewheel on jf must be replaced, xf is good to go.

Do you guys agree that crystal has green glaring and that it is a huge tell ? I have not heard this from proplevwho have bought it (other than Darude who I assume has bought this watch and perhaps could kindly confirm and post relevant photos)
many thanks

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Do you guys agree that crystal has green glaring and that it is a huge tell ? I have not heard this from proplevwho have bought it (other than Darude who I assume has bought this watch and perhaps could kindly confirm and post relevant photos)
many thanks

not mine.

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
many thanks

crystal being huge tell is just the usual hyperbole you see on this forum. Unless he got an old version or QC defect watch, that assessment is very strange to me. One of the best OOTB AP reps ever imo.

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
crystal being huge tell is just the usual hyperbole you see on this forum. Unless he got an old version or QC defect watch, that assessment is very strange to me. One of the best OOTB AP reps ever imo.

It’s best to go to an AD or 2nd hand store to compare it with your diver, you’ll notice how problematic the colour reflection on the crystal (the reflection of the colour is incorrect in every angle, either blue or green tint). Compare with the gen diver, you’ll see the flaws on the rep divers, and what needs to be changed is totally up to the wearer and how many flaws you can accept, don’t just blindly trust what people say on the forum.

For cyclops, no cyclops is close to the gen cyclops, I’ve bought prof and Mikey cyclops, they are okay if you don’t compare with gen, all stock cyclops or replacement cyclops look different than gen. For datewheel, Mikey datewheel has the correct font, greatly appreciate his effort for making a great datewheel, but the font is thicker than gen, therefore if you compare with gen, it’s an instant tell as well. For crystal, 1xar prof crystal is really similar to jf, both are close to gen. XF crystal is great at transparency, but the tint caused by the AR coating is a major flaw.

So that’s totally up to you, but what’s the point of modding cyclops/low beat/datewheel without changing the crystal, when people can instantly tell your watch is a rep across the room? As well as the end links hanging around on the wrist. Besides, it also depends on what country or city you are living in, if you are living in a small city or country that not many people know about AP, don’t bother changing anything, just wear it happily. But if you are living in London, LA, HK etc, mods are needed since a lot of people own gen and they are able to tell there is something wrong with your watch.

Last edited:

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
cantexplainb8d784964e9c8a9b.gif

Reactions: BIONONE

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
so now people can see the date wheel from across the room? you can't even see your own date wheel if the watch on your wrist is at an angle, I am not responding to this madness anymore...........

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
so now people can see the date wheel from across the room? you can't even see your own date wheel if the watch on your wrist is at an angle, I am not responding to this madness anymore...........

i second that

Reactions: ssouthall6

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18

Jf or mikey Date wheel is different compare to gen, you can only tell it’s a rep date wheel when you know how the gen date wheel look or compare it with gen side by side, in everyday scenario it’s hard to tell. That’s why changing the low beat movement and date wheel is pointless, since you have to look up real close to notice it. Xf has the best datewheel, it’s really close to gen in terms of font and thickness.

I think you misunderstood what I said, changing the crystal and cyclops is more important I reckon, since you can see them from a distance (low beat, date wheel is hard for people to notice)

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
Idk whether my rep crystal is different than the newer batch, but i think it should be the same.
The reflection colour of the gen crystal should be reflecting the same colour of the light source since it uses a 1xAR with no colour coating crystal, it should not reflect any other colour that is different than the light source.
Look at the photos of the ceramic diver below from efthimis, it has a blue-green tint which doesn't happen on gen. The cyclops is muddy as well (on gen it is either appear like 2xAR without any light hitting on it or having reflection glare when any light shinning directly to it)
29c6b53a79cea253a3b10d6870281e4f.jpg

e53daeddf7dd777d9ac8cb8d418d9b73.jpg

What I'm suggesting is to help people to get their diver as close as gen, based on my experiences when i compare my diver towards the gen diver from the watch store (not AD), photos from instagram, held on a gen in an AD and 2nd hand shop in the last few weeks. Therefore I did a lot of research, personal experiences and experiments to come up with this conclusion.

So if anyone think it's great rep ootb already, just ignore what I say and enjoy the watch.

If anyone decide to mod their watch, crystal should be the first thing that needs to be replaced, since crystal covers a huge area on the watch, it's paramount to replace it. Prof crystal is extremely good. but if you have low budget, buying the crystal from jf is pretty good as well. The second thing is cyclops, even though no stock or oem cyclops is perfect on the market, the cyclops on xf is still a bit muddy compare to gen, it only gets better when the light hits the cyclops. Mikey cyclops is the best, but for gen, it appears to be 2xAR in certain angles, mikey cyclops does not perform well in regard to that. Low beat movement and date wheel is not necessary, since in everyday lives, people rarely notice that unless you put the watch up close to people's face, but if you have enough budget, changing the movement to eta 2846 or pm80 is great to have. Datewheel on XF is nearly identical with gen, it is the best and better than any other datewheels on the market, so there's no need to change the stock datewheel. Endlink on the diver should be machined and trimmed down as well, since the endlink on the gen is flexible which makes the watch fits your hand better. Changing the backcover to jf diver is optional, since people rarely ask you to take off the watch, so it really depends on you. After modding everything that I mentioned above, you would get the best diver, it would be at least 97% identical to gen, and I can safe to say no one would dare to call you out.

If you want to get to 99.9%, it will cost a lot. Replace it with a gen timing ring, brushing the bezel screws to have a slight curve polished look, swap the crown (the gen crown is really soft and it feels like gummy bear), replace with gen strap and buckle. This would lead the watch to 99.9%, but it's not necessary to spend this much for a diver, if you have a budget this huge, better get a 2nd hand gen diver.

Last edited:

xkqwts

Known Member
21/2/17
Gen has 1x AR iirc. Shouldn't it be possible to scrub off the outer layer with some isopropanol?

Also, how exactly is the JF caseback better? Couldn't really find any noticeable differences and if you want the backside to be gen-like, the movement decoration is a huge tell anyway.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
BTW I’m measuring the FC at 142 grams with stock strap

FC diver or chrono at 142 grams? It is a FC chrono I suppose? I measured my FC diver (XF V2, 2846 version with a few mods done) at 106 grams with stock strap. I think this is quite close to gen weight.

FC diver without strap measures around 80 grams, just FYI.

I changed the caseback too. Actually the weight can be further reduced but I did not bother doing any further steps.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Gen has 1x AR iirc. Shouldn't it be possible to scrub off the outer layer with some isopropanol?

Also, how exactly is the JF caseback better? Couldn't really find any noticeable differences and if you want the backside to be gen-like, the movement decoration is a huge tell anyway.

It is the FC diver being discussed when it comes to changing caseback. There truly is a huge difference in engravings between JF caseback and XF caseback. I fortunately sourced a newest I series caseback from JF and it does look better than XF caseback.

Using isopropanol is interesting. Does it work? As Darude said, it is a slight trouble that at some particular angle the crystal looks a bit green or a bit blue. Does applying isopropanol remove the color and convert it to fully transparent?

Hmmmm I guess you hold an advanced degree in Chemistry, don't you? I hold a Ph.D. in Accounting which is obviously useless in removing the color....

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
It is the FC diver being discussed when it comes to changing caseback. There truly is a huge difference in engravings between JF caseback and XF caseback. I fortunately sourced a newest I series caseback from JF and it does look better than XF caseback.

Using isopropanol is interesting. Does it work? As Darude said, it is a slight trouble that at some particular angle the crystal looks a bit green or a bit blue. Does applying isopropanol remove the color and convert it to fully transparent?

Hmmmm I guess you hold an advanced degree in Chemistry, don't you? I hold a Ph.D. in Accounting which is obviously useless in removing the color....

To be honest, after you have changed the crystal to prof 1xAR crystal, you'll definitely fall in love with it, then you'll start to see XF crystal is pretty bad (even though the transparency is awesome) - since crystal covers a large area of the watch, which is a pretty obvious flaw.

The AR coating is facing inside the watch, therefore you can't simply remove the coating without taking the watch and crystal apart, but if you take out the AR coating inside the watch, you can send the crystal to prof so he can apply a colourless AR coating for your crystal

Reactions: vcappp and reppists

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
To be honest, after you have changed the crystal to prof 1xAR crystal, you'll definitely fall in love with it, then you'll start to see XF crystal is pretty bad (even though the transparency is awesome) - since crystal covers a large area of the watch, which is a pretty obvious flaw.

The AR coating is facing inside the watch, therefore you can't simply remove the coating without taking the watch and crystal apart, but if you take out the AR coating inside the watch, you can send the crystal to prof so he can apply a colourless AR coating for your crystal

I have read a few threads and found changing the crystal a risky task. I kind of fear the crystal may break if the watchsmith is not familiar with APs. I kind of wanted to buy from some ARed crystal sources based in Asia, preferably in China so that I can get a little bit of guarantee and as well as shorter time of waiting.

razr321

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/1/17
Are these sold out right now? I ordered one a month ago and haven't even received QC yet...