• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which movements suck?

stan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/2/09
Excuse my ignorance,but what do you mean by seconds at 6?

Thanks

KinCaidk

Known Member
13/12/08
stan said:
Excuse my ignorance,but what do you mean by seconds at 6?

Thanks
That's when the second are running on a little subdial at the 6 o' clock position.

Like an iwc portuguese:
iwc-portuguese_v.jpg

stan

22/2/09
Thanks for that,so what makes these not as good as the other movements,is it just because the seconds sub dial is at the 6 position?

KinCaidk

Known Member
13/12/08
I'll let someone else answer that as I am not all that familiar with the different movements.
I think it has something to do with the gearing and the friction that it makes, causing it to be more unstable.

*I just read through the thread. You'll find all the answers that you need if you read it too*

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
stan said:
Thanks for that,so what makes these not as good as the other movements,is it just because the seconds sub dial is at the 6 position?

There are 12 extra gears required to run the seconds @ 6, this makes the movement more complex and thus more prone to breakage (if not serviced correctly). There's a nice back-and-forth earlier in this thread between sconehead and fakey where you can get some nuggets of useful information (I didn't know seconds @ 6 required 12 extra gears - thanks Fakey!).

I'm still new to the hobby, but I wouldn't touch an Asian 7750 movement with seconds @ 6. Be honest with yourself - are you really going to get it serviced the day you get it and then every year thereafter? If so, maybe seconds @ 6 will work for you. If not, skip it and avoid that subdial position or chronos altogether. The 21J is a workhorse found in many great replicas.

stan

22/2/09
KinCaidk said:
I'll let someone else answer that as I am not all that familiar with the different movements.
I think it has something to do with the gearing and the friction that it makes, causing it to be more unstable.

*I just read through the thread. You'll find all the answers that you need if you read it too*

Ok thanks,i'll think i'll just do that.Its a big old site with lots of info so i'm going to spend a day just looking and getting as much info as i can,then hopefully i won't ask repeat questions i know how tedious they can get. Atb :)
There are 12 extra gears required to run the seconds @ 6, this makes the movement more complex and thus more prone to breakage (if not serviced correctly). There's a nice back-and-forth earlier in this thread between sconehead and fakey where you can get some nuggets of useful information (I didn't know seconds @ 6 required 12 extra gears - thanks Fakey!).

I'm still new to the hobby, but I wouldn't touch an Asian 7750 movement with seconds @ 6. Be honest with yourself - are you really going to get it serviced the day you get it and then every year thereafter? If so, maybe seconds @ 6 will work for you. If not, skip it and avoid that subdial position or chronos altogether. The 21J is a workhorse found in many great replicas.
[/quote]

To be honest i doubt if i will get it serviced,it didn't even cross my mind to get one serviced until i started reading on this site.Atb.