• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which movements suck?

mickeypro

I'm Pretty Popular
29/6/06
Ive seen tons listed....well maybe not tons, but which ones are so bad I should save the time and flush the money.

thanks

mp

RqThrottle

31/5/06
mickeypro said:
Ive seen tons listed....well maybe not tons, but which ones are so bad I should save the time and flush the money.

thanks

mp

Asian 7750 with seconds at 6. Only one to really avoid.

mickeypro

I'm Pretty Popular
29/6/06
Im looking at Silix's site and many Pans say Chinese movement. Whats up with that one?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
mickeypro said:
Im looking at Silix's site and many Pans say Chinese movement. Whats up with that one?
One? There are many Asian movements. Mostly good.

The old Asian 7750 (21600vph) was pretty ratty, too.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Pugwash said:
The old Asian 7750 (21600vph) was pretty ratty, too.

Have to disagree with you a little bit there Pug. Near the end of its life, I was noticing that complaints on the 21k version had become pretty rare, as I saw very few complaints posted about it. Although the 28k unit is a far nicer engine, I have seen a resurgence in the number of failures in these units since its release (I know you can count yourself among those that have experienced this). For sure 1st gen 7750 were junk, but I think the 2nd gen 21k version was not that bad at all, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a watch with one in it.

butterfly

30/12/06
7750 with seconds at "six". I had to return two of these watches!!!!!!

No more Seconds at Six for this guy.

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
Its a real shame they can't get the second at 6 right, a lot of the nicer looking watches are set up that way... the price we pay i guess, or the price we don't pay rather

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
I too have heard numerous problems with this movement, but I would say that if you don't run the chronos that often, you should be safe... Or at least that's the theory...

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i don't buy anything with the seconds at six

w2ge

4/12/06
Painful Bowel movements suck....

Man, I really contribute a lot of great knowledge to this board.. don't I?

who2R

Known Member
9/3/07
Beside runnign second at 6, what about the sub-dial layout like the 3-6-9 (eg: daytona) and 6-9-12 (eg: Tag Link) Will they play any role on the 7750 reliability?

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
As far as the Asian 7750 goes, no matter which you get, do NOT use the date quickset unless the hour hand is set at 6:00. If you change the date with the hour hand at 12:00, or near it, you stand a chance of breaking the date advance mechanism.

mickeypro

I'm Pretty Popular
29/6/06
found this reference borrowed from Keyhole

Asian 21j
This is one of the most common automatic movements. There are many versions of this movement. Most have proven to be reliable and affordable alternatives to the ETA version. Ticks at 21,600bph.

Asian 7750
This is a chronograph movement that is up for much debate. Has subdials at 12, 9, & 6 that dictate 30 minute counter, running seconds , and12 hours counter respectively. Reliabilityis constantly up for debate, but the general consensus is that if the watch has running seconds at 9, and is well maintained, you will have a replica that will be reliable. The number one rule with an Asian 7750 is to NEVER change the date while the time is between 10 o’clock & 2 o’clock. Also never reset the chronos while they are running. Both actions may cause damage to the movment.

The 7750 with seconds running at 6 is generally the same as the running seconds at 9 version, with an additional module that allows for the seconds to run on the 6 o’clock subdial. This movement is not very reliable, and you should proceed with caution should you decide to purchase a replica with this version.

Swiss 7750
This movement has become very expensive as of late and is not being offered in many replicas anymore due to the price increase. However, this is a great movement and far more reliable than the Asian version. Buy with confidence.

Asian 7753
Similar to the 7750 in that it is an automatic chronograph movement. Subdials are located at 3, 6 & 9. Same issues with reliability.

Asian 2824-2 Copy
A newer movement that has only recently hit the market. This is similar to the 21j, but it beats at the faster and more accurate to gen, 28,000bph.

Manual Wind

ETA 6497-1
This is a handwind movement that is commonly found in Panerai replicas. Another excellent movement.

Asian 6497-1
The ETA versions Asian couterpart. Reliable, but some versions are inaccurate to the genuine. (i.e Missing swan neck). There is an Asian version that contains the swan neck as well.

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Mickey. Nice write up. Just one comment. We really don't have an Asian 7753. It's just a modded 7750.
If we had a true 7753 would wouldn't have the recessed date wheel problems.

mickeypro

I'm Pretty Popular
29/6/06
hey Trevor... I'll take credit only for finding it, but Keyhole put together the time and effort