• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What makes it tick?

TheSociety

Respected Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Ghost bezel for a Daytona Yachtmaster build is complete [emoji12]

b5f3e6c5405c3606c9ffc23b64da43e2.jpg

Vintage Rolex Builds / Discussion

Retina

Respected Member
Certified
18/12/14
im looking forward to that ym daytona ;) its probably one of the only daytona designs which i like

cleebeauregard

Renowned Member
Certified
12/1/15
That's awesome that you're going to be selling these beautiful vintage straps-- I've been searching in vain for decent straps for my vintage builds! Outside of Bulang & Sons and Bas & Lokes, I just haven't found much that really appeals to me. Someone with your knowledge and appreciation of vintage builds is perfect for this

Rush

I'm Pretty Popular
29/5/16
CONUS
@TheSociety

You have beautiful watches. I've noticed that all of your Rolex watches are on vintage leather. Do you also like metal bracelets on them as well? I just brought a 6263 from one of the members, and it did not come on a metal bracelet. Thanks

TheSociety

Respected Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
That's awesome that you're going to be selling these beautiful vintage straps-- I've been searching in vain for decent straps for my vintage builds! Outside of Bulang & Sons and Bas & Lokes, I just haven't found much that really appeals to me. Someone with your knowledge and appreciation of vintage builds is perfect for this

I have had B&S and their straps are ok but seems off to me somehow. I like hodinkee but will try to get us a more affordable version!

It doesn't just tell time. It tells history.
Genuine Movement Rolex Builds Thread

lee714

15/8/12
That panda is a beauty! How much would it be to make one just like that?

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Blurring the line is probably a very accurate statement. As a vintage car guy I try to make sense of your passion. Let's take the Ferrari 250GTO as an example.

In the old days, there were conversion kits based on Datsun 240Z basis available. Pretty spiffy actually, with fiberglass body and many bits that made such a car look . . . um . . . pretty accurate when it drove by. And that inline six sounded not so bad either. But then there were guys who bought Ferrari 250 Pininfarina Coupes (when they were still cheap -- I bought one for $25K) and 330GT 2+2 models in not-so great condition, often with rust and/or accident damage, and send it over to Italy where true craftsmen made a GTO out of it. We're talking genuine Ferrari VIN, with a new, hand-built space frame, new, hand-built alloy body, new interior, and rebuilt and upgraded Ferrari drive train. For all practical purposes, what came out on the other side was a genuine GTO that could only be identified as a Franken by checking the numbers and by diving deep into details. I don't remember the exact price tag for such a car, but I think it was around $180K all in. That's not exactly chump change, but compared to the $5M a GTO back then cost (now it's $27M), it was a steal! Shipping it back to the states was easy, as it was based on the VIN a round-trip for "servicing" in Italy and driving such a car was every bit as exciting as driving a real GTO, perhaps even better, giving the anxiety one must have when driving a multi-million dollar Ferrari among texting moms in SUVs.

In this light I see your hand-picked Rolexes, and although I still own 2 gens (a 16013 that it too mint to wear and my late dad's YG Oyster), I'll be putting them up for sale soon now that I have tasted blood with my first two quality vintage Panerais. My budget is a bit limited right now as I'll be buying a house in a few months and need my $120K down payment ready, but later this year I would love to look out for a highly patinated vintage Rolex or Tudor. "Like new" doesn't do anything for me. I like cars, motorcycles, watches, even houses that radiate history, would be able to tell an exiting story if they could talk.

Thank you for sharing.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
I would buy this from you in a heartbeat if you decide to let it go please let me know.
You see that fellow with long beard and black tee down there?

There is where the q of people camping for @TheSociety watches start. You better join the q..

sent, me thinks