• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What makes it tick?

TheSociety

Respected Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Love the gen roulette date disc on this 1065 movement! Rep DW is always wrong on this reference 6542!

f9cd5b09155394f27d7a5e0859b776f1.jpg
5ec5c03631e81b08f8355453f1233e1a.jpg
323d804c0ae64c237fff511abeac1e59.jpg

It doesn't just tell time. It tells history.
Genuine Movement Rolex Builds Thread
https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/what-makes-it-tick.365793/

Rumsfeld

Known Member
11/12/16
I took the 1680 to another watchsmith and the verdict was the same. That movement hasn't seen servicing. The watch won't even stop when you pull the crown out. So he gave a call to a shop that service Rolex movements and service estimate is anything between 500-2000. Dandy. Hopefully I'll know more at the end of next week. But if your watchsmith said he serviced that 1560 movement, he lied to you.
But we will figure this out and hopefully it turns out ok! I do love the watch though.

TheSociety

Respected Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
I took the 1680 to another watchsmith and the verdict was the same. That movement hasn't seen servicing. The watch won't even stop when you pull the crown out. So he gave a call to a shop that service Rolex movements and service estimate is anything between 500-2000. Dandy. Hopefully I'll know more at the end of next week. But if your watchsmith said he serviced that 1560 movement, he lied to you.
But we will figure this out and hopefully it turns out ok! I do love the watch though.

A Rolex service is about $400-$500 depending on the watchsmith. I highly doubt that the movement has not been serviced as you even said it was running flawlessly for the last two months. I sat there with every built and watch it being done. The watch doesn't stop the seconds hand because it is a non-hacking movement. This is normal for all Rolex movement up until the very end of the 1570 when they switched to "hacking movement" where the seconds hand stops moving. But in any case, I stand by my work and if you want to get it serviced I'll help with the cost - all I ask is for some photos during the service so I can see. Also that movement is so perfectly new. No 30+ years old Rolex movement is that new without a service to clean off all the dirt and wear and tear over the years.

Hacking vs non-hacking discussion:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=23861

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1163465811/Hacking+movements+on+Rolex+Subs

Rumsfeld

Known Member
11/12/16
I informed the watchsmith about the hack and he already had discussed about it with the Rolex service person, who said that excatly how it should be. But they'll send it to the service center and they'll clean it up and fix the stem issue etc. I will be informed about the progress next week.

TheSociety

Respected Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
I informed the watchsmith about the hack and he already had discussed about it with the Rolex service person, who said that excatly how it should be. But they'll send it to the service center and they'll clean it up and fix the stem issue etc. I will be informed about the progress next week.

A service should not be anywhere near 2k. Most reputable watchsmith will charge you $400-$500. I think you're getting played. The watchsmith should know about hacking vs non-hacking. If he doesn't then I would be very concerned about giving him the watch. I don't mind helping you with the cost even though it seems a little crazy to service a watch that's just been serviced and is keeping impeccable time of +/- a few seconds a day and looks amazing

yodog

Yo
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
$2k for a service on a 1570? You can get an entire 1570 movement for less than that, and have a gen Datejust case/dial/hands to boot if you pull it from an old 1601.

TheSociety

Respected Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
$2k for a service on a 1570? You can get an entire 1570 movement for less than that, and have a gen Datejust case/dial/hands to boot if you pull it from an old 1601.

agreed 1000%. you can buy a fully serviced 1570 for $2k. Or like you said pull out one from a 1601 and pay for the service (again, 400-500 from an independent watchsmith)

I've built countless watches and sat at the watchsmith for HOURS to watch my watchsmith work. At times I've been on the phone with various members and have even taken photographs of the process for many of the builds. It's actually mind boggling that you'd want to service a watch that, and I quote @Rumsfeld's own words "keeping perfect time."

With a good timegrapher showing it's running -1 sec per day (well within rolex spec and COSC spec). For a 30+ years old movement to look brand new, runs perfectly - that alone shows the proof of servicing. Anyways, I offered to help with the service cost but again, it is totally unnecessary. I've always taken care of every person that gets a build from me so I'm doing the same here - even though I feel strongly against it. I'm sure many people would vouch for my builds so I'll let it speak for itself.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
A service should not be anywhere near 2k. Most reputable watchsmith will charge you $400-$500. I think you're getting played. The watchsmith should know about hacking vs non-hacking. If he doesn't then I would be very concerned about giving him the watch. I don't mind helping you with the cost even though it seems a little crazy to service a watch that's just been serviced and is keeping impeccable time of +/- a few seconds a day and looks amazing

what is going on here ?

TLDR ..

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
what is going on here ?

TLDR ..

Watch was sold with a 'serviced' movement, another, different watch smith says movement has not been serviced.

TheSociety

Respected Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Watch was sold with a 'serviced' movement, another, different watch smith says movement has not been serviced.

correct, and timegrapher was provided, person who received the watch says it's been running perfectly for 3 months and continues to run perfectly.

Watchsmith in EU says it needs service because seconds hand does not stop - aka hacking movement - which is normal for rolex movements prior to '71.

All PMs with pics provided to Dave. I'm willing to help with the service costs IF it's reasonable and makes sense ($2k is a rip off for a service no matter how you look at it).

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
everytime when i comeback to this thread i love your builds more and more true art

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
everytime when i comeback to this thread i love your builds more and more true art

The pictures, the presentation , the ambiance, the builds, the materials ,The GEN components, the carefully handcrafted leather its all extremely top shelf.

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
The pictures, the presentation , the ambiance, the builds, the materials ,The GEN components, the carefully handcrafted leather its all extremely top shelf.

Yes bro its the whole package