• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the Risk to Us?

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I don't have any problem talking about reps outside the forum? Don't know where you got that from. The only rules we have are don't take your rep into an AD or jewelers where even the prospect of a replica can bring attention to the hobby as a whole from the manufacturers.

BADWIN BING

Respected Member
30/4/10
Great thread Dave, I've enjoyed reading the replies.

I had to laugh when I saw it was you that started this. 45 sales reviews.....jeez!!! If the feds came sniffing round this place they'd probably pinpoint you as the Don, the biggest fish in the pond. :lol:

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Great thread Dave, I've enjoyed reading the replies.

I had to laugh when I saw it was you that started this. 45 sales reviews.....jeez!!! If the feds came sniffing round this place they'd probably pinpoint you as the Don, the biggest fish in the pond. :lol:

Exactly! Own all the reps you want but selling, now that's a different story.

A few years ago they cracked down hard on Santee Alley in Los Angeles, for those sellers it wasnt a laughing matter.

According to California Penal Code section 350, "Any person who willfully manufactures, intentionally sells, or knowingly possesses for sale any counterfeit mark" is in violation of the law. Violators in possession of less than 1,000 counterfeit items may be fined up to $5,000 and sentenced to up to a year in jail for possessing a counterfeit watch.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/350.html

WashedUpRealityTvStar

8/3/11
Exactly! Own all the reps you want but selling, now that's a different story.

A few years ago they cracked down hard on Santee Alley in Los Angeles, for those sellers it wasnt a laughing matter.

According to California Penal Code section 350, "Any person who willfully manufactures, intentionally sells, or knowingly possesses for sale any counterfeit mark" is in violation of the law. Violators in possession of less than 1,000 counterfeit items may be fined up to $5,000 and sentenced to up to a year in jail for possessing a counterfeit watch.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/350.html

How's the alley these days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fastkat

Do not accept unsolicited offers
28/3/11
watch seized

My friend had a watch seized a couple of weeks ago. He was mailed a letter from customs. Today he said customs was at his door. He didn't answer.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
My friend had a watch seized a couple of weeks ago. He was mailed a letter from customs. Today he said customs was at his door. He didn't answer.

Really? What country/city?

cwazy1

Respected Member
29/2/12

This is a great example of why you should not contact customs if your watch gets seized. Plus most places guarantee delivery, so why bother? :picard:

BADWIN BING

Respected Member
30/4/10
Yes I'd like to know which country sends customs agent to your door for only one watch :unsure:

bullshit.jpg

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Hmmm ya..Maybe was in Seizekurdistan :lies:

Oh I just read he and his friend bought a couple thousand dollars of watches from Puretime.

D

d4m.test

THANKS BB and cybee for the votes of confidence. Wifey will NOT see these replies.!! When you visit me, bring me a watch to play with, er??

dave :lol:

Like Badwin Bing's post: This IS a very interesting thread, and I thank all of you for giving me shavings of your minds on the topic. I only sell to forum members. Not even family members would get one... .

Regards to all!

dave

arcadia

Respected Member
11/8/11
Interesting thread bbphrog and I must say that I truly enjoy each one's company here (in fact all of you here even if I had disagreements with you in the past). We are essentially still a small community even if you include the other forums.

I'll share a little in my side of the globe and found this in the news here recently:

USfights.jpg

As you may have read, the US authorities' campaign against counterfeiting is in force what with the hundreds of full container loads being seized. Of course, these include other goods as bags, shoes, and drugs. In this particular scenario, it involves 135 containers of counterfeits. Out of these containers, one can conservatively assume that only a fraction is for rep watches, say, 5 containers only to say the least.

One 20 ft. full container load (not even the bigger 40ft.) can fit 8,000 - 10,000 watches! Essentially we are talking about more than 40,000+ reps in this particular operation alone. There are many other shipments and exports to the US in so many periods and places making this just one of the many. In essence, you can begin to imagine the vast US illegal operation of the rep watch business. What more if we surmise the whole international trade (and also know where we as a forum family sits).

Given this conservative figures, I wouldn't be concerned for them to be knocking at my door as their hands are full in dealing with a big international illegal business. I fly often in many Asian cities bringing with me some cheap goodies as a "remembrance". Never been held.

On the other hand, I can only talk good things or not talk at all about the people at the other side of the fence. There are no country barriers with them if you know what I mean. And don't expect them to come knocking at your door...

Thanks much guys.

fastkat

28/3/11
what country

Two watches and in the US. I will read his customs letter tonight.

fastkat

28/3/11
2 watches seized

Today he got a certified letter with Chicago zip but refused to sign for the letter. Supposedly seizure was in Chicago.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Today he got a certified letter with Chicago zip but refused to sign for the letter. Supposedly seizure was in Chicago.

My friend and I bought a couple thousand dollars worth of watches from them.

Hard to imagine they would go after just one or even two watches. Were the two watches part of the larger shipment?

boostin20

Respected Member
8/9/10
USA
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Swat will be kicking down your door in 3,2,1.....

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Be safe. If you are in the US (or your home country).

1. Only buy reps already in the US (or your home country) so nothing is ever shipped through customs. The US postal service doesn't examine packages to collect customs fees. You can never be accused of being an importer.

2. Never sell reps to anyone or on line any time. Only give them away. You can never be accused of being a dealer.

3. Of course, following 1 and 2 severely restrict the rep hobby but there are a few US dealers and no one forces you to ever sell anything.

If your wife still complains buy her a few rep handbags and she likely will better understand your position. When she see that she can have a $3,000 designer handbag for $300 and 99% of people will not be able to tell it is a rep, she may have a different attitude about risk taking!