• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Welcome to the Brig English Gent

cobar75

Patron Saint of Watches
hey thanks, I agree it's been a pile on, out of control, i wanted to prove myself, and people poked, Its new year; have a happy one!

No worries, again, sorry for joining in. I believe you are a good person. We all have problem in this life. I lost my father this Summer to metastasized liver cancer that ended up in his brain; I made two trips back to the US to be with him. One of my best friends died this year, and my uncle had just refused to receive care and is on comfort only measures in hospital—he came to my father’s funeral, 71-year-old with COPD and had now has COVID. He served as an infantryman during the Vietnam War and is tough as nails. He will be gone most likely by January—if he can hold on. He gave me his dog tag that he wore in his boot while he was in the jungle. I wear it proudly as I type.

What I’m trying to say, apart from my apology, is this. Because life is way too important to squander on material things, proving that we’re better than our neighbors or who drives the biggest and best car on the cul-de-sac or who had the best house or how many watches we own, they are all material rubbish that our kids will probably sell off when we depart this place.

Live, Love, Laugh…

English Gent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/14
No worries, again, sorry for joining in. I believe you are a good person. We all have problem in this life. I lost my father this Summer to metastasized liver cancer that ended up in his brain; I made two trips back to the US to be with him. One of my best friends died this year, and my uncle had just refused to receive care and is on comfort only measures in hospital—he came to my father’s funeral, 71-year-old with COPD and had now has COVID. He served as an infantryman during the Vietnam War and is tough as nails. He will be gone most likely by January—if he can hold on. He gave me his dog tag that he wore in his boot while he was in the jungle. I wear it proudly as I type.

What I’m trying to say, apart from my apology, is this. Because life is way too important to squander on material things, proving that we’re better than our neighbors or who drives the biggest and best car on the cul-de-sac or who had the best house or how many watches we own, they are all material rubbish that our kids will probably sell off when we depart this place.

Live, Love, Laugh…

sorry about your father, I also lost my dad, but not one I knew, he left me at 2 years old, he was found in October, but he had been dead for over 5-7 months, his corpse was just maggots, I never knew the guy, but not a good way to go

cobar75

Patron Saint of Watches
The only reason I bought this ‘66 Tudor Submariner was because I watched a Hodinkee video https://ibb.co/hMwXkB6 about a Marine who took a bullet in Vietnam and it reminded me of my uncle. I bought the watch because it was manufactured around the same time my uncle would have been in country, maybe a bit earlier, but nevertheless, I wanted this watch so I could look at it and remember my uncle.

Here’s my uncle several years ago when I visited him and he was up to having his photo taken and a couple when he was younger.

Last edited:
Reactions: mech500

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
quality on mine was terrible, really bad finishing and sent it back, the owner wasn't a nice guy, shame a s I like some of there new designs, micro rotor etc

Thanks, that’s what I’m hearing a lot.
I like the look of the dual crown and gmt but for the price I’d expect half decent quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobar75

Patron Saint of Watches
English Gent I have worn this bracelet every day for the past ten-years. It reads “illegitimi non carborundum” (Don’t let the bastards grind you down.) Looking at it has helped me to where I am today. Seems silly, but it works for me.

CFB92-BCC-8-D01-46-D7-B204-516-D4-E732-A64.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: andybilsy

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
English Gent I have worn this bracelet every day for the past ten-years. It reads “illegitimi non carborundum” (Don’t let the bastards grind you down.) Looking at it has helped me to where I am today. Seems silly, but it works for me.

CFB92-BCC-8-D01-46-D7-B204-516-D4-E732-A64.jpg

That's great, I have a bracelet that is never off my left wrist, its 2 skulls with bones connecting them, reminds me of my mortality, also looks rock n roll as does yours.

Reactions: cobar75

cobar75

Patron Saint of Watches
That's great, I have a bracelet that is never off my left wrist, its 2 skulls with bones connecting them, reminds me of my mortality, also looks rock n roll as does yours.

Then every time something pisses you off, glance down at your bracelet and think, is it worth it? If not, brush it off and move on. I have erased many negative people from my life and have become quite good at compartmentalizing my thoughts and emotions. It takes time, but it will make you feel much better.

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Then every time something pisses you off, glance down at your bracelet and think, is it worth it? If not, brush it off and move on. I have erased many negative people from my life and have become quite good at compartmentalizing my thoughts and emotions. It takes time, but it will make you feel much better.

thanks again, yeah, I have my ex girlfriend on email as we speak telling me I was nothing to her, I have to shout out, but I cant

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Sonofalich is right this is thread is hideous, EG is clearly having a mental health episode, EG you need to wrap this in and get some help. The people baiting him here do themselves no favours either.

I have no control over the thread, I can't leave, im not allowed

that's where we are at, I get emails daily, angry, and I sometimes fight back, but if I had a choice I would leave and never come back