• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Rolex Smurf

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
V5gwD2.jpg

Was about to pull the trigger, changed my mind after seeing this. Dial and steel color difference is obvious. Those who are familiar with 116619 will spot it in an instant.
No they won't. Especially not your average "watch person" and not even your average "watch enthusiast".

It would take someone who really knows what they're talking about to spot the difference. Even if you see someone wearing the gen and then walk up to someone wearing the vsf, it would take an especially good, knowledgeable trained eye to recognize the details.

I'm not trying to talk you into it. I'm just saying your average "expert" couldn't spot the differences on wrist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

James2020

1/6/20
V5gwD2.jpg

Was about to pull the trigger, changed my mind after seeing this. Dial and steel color difference is obvious. Those who are familiar with 116619 will spot it in an instant.

The VSF dial may look darker in the photo due to lighting as it seems to be facing camera at an angle. As for the steel color, this is inevitable as WG will have slight yellow tinge under daylight or certain lighting condition.

BOSSK

Renowned Member
22/3/17
Oz
So all you guys don't wear a watch because it's a nice watch, you only wear it because you want to trick someone into thinking you're something your not?

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing! It’s a gorgeous watch and about as close as you will get to Gen (blue + white gold) will never be properly replicated for $500 buck. Those in this for the right reasons know this.

As for the fake flex enthusiast just chuck a filter on any pics and avoid any Gen owners.

IFrederickI

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/6/19
I wear a Gen smurf everyday. I didn’t notice the color difference of the metal until they were side by each.

I noticed the darker blue dial from pics right away but assumed it was angle of pics or lighting.

As for people saying it’s the angle/lighting for a darker dial. It’s darker blue. Different tone/hue that is darker no matter the angle or lighting. Still looks damn good either way.

Last edited:

petethai

29/11/20
So all you guys don't wear a watch because it's a nice watch, you only wear it because you want to trick someone into thinking you're something your not?

I only wear a fake to impress girls... Mainly hookers....... as they are the only ones who will take notice of what watch you wear.

Kidding aside. I have been wearing Gen's for over 20 years. Not one person have ever asked me about my watch and if it is fake or not.

Unless it is a very bad replica, you are 20 years old and and known to never have money, NOBODY (except Rolex fanatics) will ever know if you are wearing a fake or not. And who cares anyway? The "Smurf" looks great. I will just wear it, because it looks great to me and be happy I saved a lot of money.

Last edited:

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
I wear a Gen smurf everyday. I didn’t notice the color difference of the metal until they were side by each.

I noticed the darker blue dial from pics right away but assumed it was angle of pics or lighting.

As for people saying it’s the angle/lighting for a darker dial. It’s darker blue. Different tone/hue that is darker no matter the angle or lighting. Still looks damn good either way.

Would it be possible to get a couple more images under some different lighting conditions.

Im waiting on my QC photos, but was curious.

Thanks in advance

pooseefila

Known Member
12/2/19
Oh Canada
The colour difference between white gold and steel is so obvious in that photo. Both are nice though. Personally the only thing I don't like about the VSF are the hands, but I never notice them in normal use, only if I'm staring at my stationary wrist or looking at photos.

Good one. Absolutely right.. while the steel color would be an obvious difference.. then hands I never thought about.. Looks totally off. But I'm still excited for mine to get here!!!

MilleMiglia513

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
11/12/20
Maybe a stupid question, but what would it take to have something like this “dipped” / “plated” / “wrapped” in WG?

shocktech102

Supporter
Certified
6/11/20
Maybe a stupid question, but what would it take to have something like this “dipped” / “plated” / “wrapped” in WG?

Reread the thread. It has already been covered. Also, Rolex uses palladium in its WG which is why it had a yellowy tinge and is not mirror finished and bright like rhodium plating looks.

Reactions: ATime

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
Reread the thread. It has already been covered. Also, Rolex uses palladium in its WG which is why it had a yellowy tinge and is not mirror finished and bright like rhodium plating looks.

I think that's not 100% right, the middle links of the bracelet are mirror finished, also is the side of the case, still it looks yellowish in whitegold, that's the nature of gold, it's yellow. Palladium is added to make the Gold whiter and not to add a yellow tinge.

Reactions: dk0243

shocktech102

Supporter
Certified
6/11/20
I think that's not 100% right, the middle links of the bracelet are mirror finished, also is the side of the case, still it looks yellowish in whitegold, that's the nature of gold, it's yellow. Palladium is added to make the Gold whiter and not to add a yellow tinge.

Technically, yes, it is 100% right. Yes, palladium WG can be polished to mirror like finish just as any metal can be in theory. Palladium is used to make the gold "whiter", however the use of palladium is the reason why a WG Rolex has a more yellow tinge to it as opposed to being rhodium plated/dipped WG.

This is all a very basic sense of the topic. Traditionally, white gold is/was yellow gold/nickel and is a dullish gray without being plated. Rhodium plating/dipping is what gives it the white sheen most of us know and was done because of the irritation/allergic reactions people have caused by the nickel.

Last edited:

IFrederickI

5/6/19

mirror finished yes. Champagne yellowish color though.