• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF PAM683

Drgehirn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/22
I think it makes sense to consider PAM959 VSF or PAM1209. I am not aware of their existence, but it makes sense to try.
I wasn’t able to get those either. Seems like there are no 42mm submersibles at the moment. At least where I asked. Most of the TD i asked where trying to sell me Rolex or Omega instead…

armandof

Known Member
11/5/14
I wasn’t able to get those either. Seems like there are no 42mm submersibles at the moment. At least where I asked. Most of the TD i asked where trying to sell me Rolex or Omega instead…
Also looking for a VSF one :rolleyes:

ComNero

16/5/19
Hey guys Sead email me that he has some available!
I have pass because after try a gen 42 sub it’s just too small to be a Pam in my opinion :)

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
My Chinese dealer has some too. BUT they still have the fisheye effect crystal….

Last edited:

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
You really need to swap to a better crystal on these. Good investment IMO.

Reactions: LuminorReptar

HG 2000

Supporter
22/7/20
So many of us continue to look for 683s. Hopefully someone fills the void!

MeasurementCraft

Known Member
30/6/22
Good but what we really want is the 959!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1818652.png
Did VSF/any good factory end up releasing this model?

Andrea_79

Panerai addicted
31/10/23
I was looking to PAM683 but what is stopping me is that VSF used a clone p.9000 relabeled OP XXXIV when it should be a p.900 (evolution of OP XXXIV). They looks definitely different. I know the caseback is closed but I dont like that.

Kup1712

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/1/21
I was looking to PAM683 but what is stopping me is that VSF used a clone p.9000 relabeled OP XXXIV when it should be a p.900 (evolution of OP XXXIV). They looks definitely different. I know the caseback is closed but I dont like that.
You have to live with it if you want a high grade rep (vsf). There is no p.900 clone movement available and the p.9000 work great and it's really reliable...the only disadvantage in some models is the thickness of the watch.

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
I tried a gen submersible on today at the Panerai boutique in London, very comfortable especially on my skinny wrist but I don't know what they're smoking to demand £9,000 for such a watch. £4500 max, if that.

myfirstwatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/8/19
Germany
Can anybody tell me how to get rid of the fish eye effect?

Is AR coating a possibility or do I have to swap the hole crystal (if this is the solution: where can I get a anti-fish eye crystal)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Slayter7

Horology Curious
18/6/23
Austria
Hi,
didn't want to start a new thread but just wanted to express my experience with a shortly received PAM683 from Sead (TD).
It is my first REP and i can only compare it with my "high grade" GEN Doxa SUB300T from 2020.

* Size and build quality:
The overall build quality is really good, i am fully impressed with it! I would say it is superb!
I know the thickness of the REP PAM683 is 14,5 instead of 13,4 like a GEN, i was aware of it and wanted something like PAM682 (GEN and REP are having 14,5mm thickness) but with a ceramic bezel.
So, the overall size for my 17,5mm wrist is perfect! I love it's 14,5mm thickness!

*Lume:
The lume is also very good, not like a Seiko one but for me it seems way better than on my Doxa :)
It's stays really long during the night, very good job by VSF!

*Bezel:
The Bezel action is very smooth, the clicking very satisfying! It turns soft and light, probably a bit too light - it could be more stiffer.
Only "bad" thing is the "30" on the 6 o'clock. It's is a very bit rotated and not lying horizontal, but it is barely visible. I thought i would remove the bezel and correct it (as i know it is screwed in on the backside of the bezel), but after wearing the watch for three days, decided to leave it like that! Anyway, observing other pictures here on RWI i noticed the same "30" mark mis-positioning on other PAM's. Anyway, it is so small one can barely see it, specially from the usual perspective (wearing the watch on the wrist and looking on it from the 7 o'clock perspective.

*Crystal:
Yes, i see some fisheye effect, but is is not really bothering me. Was surprised to see the same (even worse) on my Seiko Alpinist 1959 re-creation. So, i will leave it like this :)

*Movement:
Yep, the rotor noise was there, on the second day of owning i just opened the watch and removed the rotor to lubricate it - was a simple task, now it is not noticeable!
While the watch was opened, i checked the "chinese lubrication" of some jewels by tapping them with some rodico and noticed they were dry, which means probably the whole movement is dry. So at the first stage i just re-lubed the jewels with a little bit Moebius. Later on i will try to gently dis-assemble the main parts and re-lube the necessary components.
Further the movement was a little bit dirty (fingerprints) but not bad at all. I've also noticed the case has two gaskets, one inner and one normal "outer", probably for better water resistance.
The watch was running with -5 sec / day. I have regulated it to +1 sec / day, so it is running almost perfect on my wrist (nonstop) since two days. While regulating it, i noticed it is as "difficult" as regulating a Seiko (6R) Movement, no screw for simpler regulation but with a calm hand it is possible :)
What i don't really know is the lift angle to use if try to measure the movement speed. I have tried out 49 degree like for 7750 but i know some use 52. The amplitude of my P.9000 clone was around 280-290, for a dry movement really good! (i guess, i am not a professional watchmaker).

*Strap:
The Rubber is soft, i was surprised by it's quality. Only negative thing in the beginning was a chemical smell which i got rid of by putting the strap in a boiled water with some nice smelling shampoo :) because i usually do some rubber adaptations (put it in boiling water in a glas to hold the strap in place around the measuring cup so it stays bended at the end) for a better fit on my wrist.

*Dial:
Here everything is perfect, nice and clean! Of course the cannon pinion is a bit huge (not like on GEN), but it seems for me it is similar like on a GEN PAM682 (after observing some youtube videos)

At the end, a very good REP by VSF! Basically it is a PAM682 but with a matte ceramic bezel instead.

And now, some pics:

Kalmine64

Patron
Certified
21/9/19
EU
very interesting review @Slayter7 , thanks!
Interested to know more about the rotor lubrication. I received my 683 today and indeed it is 1/ very noisy 2/ spins like crazy when shaking firmly the watch...
Does the lubrication reduces also the free spin?
Where to you actually apply the oil?

Many thanks!

Slayter7

Horology Curious
18/6/23
Austria
Glad it was helpful :) @Kalmine64 !
Only "quality" oil i do have at home as hobbyist is Moebius 8000 which some could tell is replaced by a synthetic 9010 and could be theoretically used for any part of the watch but is petroleum based (not synthetic). Generally most suitable oil for rotor bearings would be 9010, but for a REP i glad to have at least the 8000 :)

For better rotor bearing balls lubrication i unscrewed the three screws holding the rotor (be very careful) and cleaned the bearings of some possible dirt using rodico (also some 99% alcohol could be used of course).

The cleaned and dry bearings were lubricated by a really small amount of 8000 oil (on each "ball", but i guess not necessary as they are anyway spreading the oil by while rotating - that i did on the opposite side of the rotor as there are much room to get to them with a oiler.
After oiling i am not noticing the rotor at all, ok the PAM case is really thick too, reducing the noises more than in other watches.
On my arm now i am not noticing any spinning sounds, etc. at all!

The free spin, let's say - it is an unidirectional winding of P.9000 clone (at least for my understandings, as the rotor is spinning like crazy, but only if i give the watch a harder shake pointing in one direction. If i try to spin it in other direction i hear some clicks, like it is on Seiko Movements - which means the rotor winds up the main spring and the some spring is clicking by preventing it to unwind itself (don't know the exact name)

I've noticed the rotor spins even more or, let's say more fluent (cuz of oiled bearings) but it should not be a problem.

If you don't want to dismantle the rotor you could put some small amount of oil directly on the "balls" - see the picture, but, for better performance (previous cleaning) and actually to do a proper job, i recommend to lubricate in on other side.

Kalmine64

Patron
Certified
21/9/19
EU
Thanks a lot mate.
Was at my watchmaker this afternoon, and took the opportunity to pressure test it as the previous seller told me he grease sealed all gaskets and should be waterproof.
Glad to see that it passed the test perfectly, and is fully waterproof for at least 5 bar.
Hence I think I won’t open it straight away so i am sure I’m keeping it waterproof..
I think I can live with the rotor for now.
Thanks !

• Love
Reactions: Reaps and Slayter7