• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Datejust Prices? $700? $800? Just say no. HELL no.

BentleyGTS8

11/5/22
They’re still cheap compared to genuine. I bet Rolex make a bigger % profit on their genuine sales. Nobody seems to complain at them? It’s a business, if people want them they’ll pay for it - if they don’t, they won’t.

As an example of this nonsensical supposed logic, I personally think that £40-50k for a genuine steel Daytona is mad when I can pick up a gold version for less. Gold will always have a greater intrinsic value over steel.

Reactions: TESLA760

BentleyGTS8

11/5/22
Another point, people here seem to be displeased with the cost of the datejust, presumably as the genuine version is considered a cheaper model when compared to a Daytona or even a Submariner. I’d wager they cost a similar amount for the rep factories to make. I guess if you want to pretend to people you have a £50k Daytona then splashing out £500 isn’t as much as paying the same for what would be a £8k watch.

Some might argue that they can’t pull off a £50k+ watch. I personally couldn’t afford to spend that on a watch but I would still wear one nonetheless.

Reactions: TESLA760

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
I bet Rolex make a bigger % profit on their genuine sales. Nobody seems to complain at them?
Tons of people are mad at rolex for the manufactured scarcity of their watches, the "waitlists", the selling to grey dealers or selling as grey dealers at inflated prices instead of selling to customers

Beefcake

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/7/21
Ha! You guys are hilarious, freaking out about that comment. Nice try with the troll job, but name ???? ng hasn't bothered me since I was a child.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
If Cronos and San Martin can make a very high-quality Homage with a PT5000 movement for $275, this is all you need to know.

Not quite! San Martin operates without copyright infringement, lower quality steel & brass alloy. You can't compare them to VS or other high end factories.

However a 100%++ increase in 7 years is a bold move. As everything increase ( rent, gas, food etc ) in cost while our wages are at a standstill many potential buyer stop ordering at this level. I don't have the flexibility in this current climate.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Tons of people are mad at rolex for the manufactured scarcity of their watches, the "waitlists", the selling to grey dealers or selling as grey dealers at inflated prices instead of selling to customers

People usually get mad at the wrong things because they don't understand.

Rolex make over 1m watches a year - that's a fuck ton. There is no 'manufactured scarcity'. 500,000 of those are PM / 2T - divide the rest by the number of models in their catalogue and you'll end up with about 20k steel Daytonas - that's the Daytona waiting list in the UK alone. The waitlists and backdoor sales to grey's are on the AD's - not Rolex.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
People usually get mad at the wrong things because they don't understand.

Rolex make over 1m watches a year - that's a fuck ton. There is no 'manufactured scarcity'. 500,000 of those are PM / 2T - divide the rest by the number of models in their catalogue and you'll end up with about 20k steel Daytonas - that's the Daytona waiting list in the UK alone. The waitlists and backdoor sales to grey's are on the AD's - not Rolex.

I don't completely agree with you man. A normal business adapts their supply to demand in order to maximize profits. Rolex is over producing 2 tone models and datejusts that are readily available, but not increasing their production of sports model, and these are not necessarily more complicated models to manufacture.

So yes the shenanigans are happening at AD's, but there is a deliberate supply shortage coming from Rolex. I don't know any other business other than luxury goods that lets such a disconnect happen between demand and supply that customers need to wait years to be able to purchase, instead of increasing their manufacturing capacity

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I don't completely agree with you man. A normal business adapts their supply to demand in order to maximize profits. Rolex is over producing 2 tone models and datejusts that are readily available, but not increasing their production of sports model, and these are not necessarily more complicated models to manufacture.

So yes the shenanigans are happening at AD's, but there is a deliberate supply shortage coming from Rolex. I don't know any other business other than luxury goods that lets such a disconnect happen between demand and supply that customers need to wait years to be able to purchase, instead of increasing their manufacturing capacity

True, but Rolex are not a normal business and they never have been. They don't have shareholders to please or pay dividends to and so they call all the shots. They are however cranking out a million watches a year - which is a colossal number of watches by any comparison let alone a Swiss brand.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19

It's brilliant marketing. They keep the hype and exclusivity of the brand in doing so.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
True, but Rolex are not a normal business and they never have been. They don't have shareholders to please or pay dividends to and so they call all the shots. They are however cranking out a million watches a year - which is a colossal number of watches by any comparison let alone a Swiss brand.

Exactly, ans one of these shots is how they size their production capacity and divide it among their SKUs ;)

If you look at their production numbers 20 or 30 years ago, they were already manufacturing more than 500,000 per year so it's not like they're adding capacity as they can. And I think Yogibear Is right, this is pure marketing strategy

In terms of total volume 1000,000 a year is putting them on the top swiss brands in terms of volume, but interestingly, brands such as Longines and Tissot are manufacturing even more (I'm not counting swatch here ;) )

Data from 2020

Reactions: Radolux

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
It's brilliant marketing. They keep the hype and exclusivity of the brand in doing so.

agreed. hype is everything in the world today. look at sneakers and designer collabs. rolex is playing a game and guess what? it works. so why would they do otherwise

Reactions: P..DR..D

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
agreed. hype is everything in the world today. look at sneakers and designer collabs. rolex is playing a game and guess what? it works. so why would they do otherwise

They should be teaching marketing and branding classes in the top Universities lol

Reactions: wubsub

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Oh, does the dial suffers the same sunbursting problem as the Hulk?