• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Viet Gen-Spec 16710 Frankens are here to stay - byebye BP!

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13
The last one will probably set you back + ~$1000 for the gen parts, so without question the VR variant is best. I don’t know about the v2 which hides the stems behind the balance but the initial release it ticking just great in my build
Thanks pal. Actually I had no idea that VR made a V2 of its 3185, thanks for flagging! You got yours from trillofhunt? Should I specify that I want the v1 - if still available?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Which movement would you recommend to buy for this build?

VR3185
VR3186
VS3135 (to be converted in 3185, don’t know if w/rep or gen parts)
I would do the VR/VS hybrid but a regular VR should suit you well.

Fraflo87

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
17/9/18
EU
Hi everybody.
I'm planning this project since a couple of years.
Now I'm collecting all the pieces including tripdog's case.
Which one is the right tube and crown for his case?
There are goods aftermarket pieces or only gen one?

Thanks so much.

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13
Has anyone tried this case?

Yes, I bought two. I’m almost done in collecting gen parts necessary for 16710 and 16570 build. To me is the real VN killer, true 1:1 construction. You get mid case and case back and you need to get the rest (like bezel, retainer, crystal etc) but these are still parts one would very likely swap with gen, so with almost the half of € you get a base by far superior to any other current alternative. Plus, the maker is well respected member of this community and a true gentleman ;)

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Cheers mate,
I'm wondering how the case back looks like. When looking at the pictures the case back looks like a Submariner case back. Can you provide pics of the case back please?

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
Yes, I bought two. I’m almost done in collecting gen parts necessary for 16710 and 16570 build. To me is the real VN killer, true 1:1 construction. You get mid case and case back and you need to get the rest (like bezel, retainer, crystal etc) but these are still parts one would very likely swap with gen, so with almost the half of € you get a base by far superior to any other current alternative. Plus, the maker is well respected member of this community and a true gentleman ;)
Good to know! He said to me on ebay that also a bezel is in production! The case has no engravings correct?

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13
Good to know! He said to me on ebay that also a bezel is in production! The case has no engravings correct?
Yes and given the quality of its case I am eagerly waiting for it :) :)

Confirm 100% sterile so no issues with shipment.

FiveGuys

Horology Curious
25/12/20
Cheers mate,
I'm wondering how the case back looks like. When looking at the pictures the case back looks like a Submariner case back. Can you provide pics of the case back please?
Caseback is different from sub, here are comparison pictures with ZZF 116610 caseback (with sticker). The build will end up 12.40mm when you use 2.7mm gasket.

Here is a pic of my 16710 using this case. All gen, except midcase, caseback and insert.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

It does look very nice indeed, but how do you know it's not made in VN? Sure is an attractive price. I paid $700 which included a caseback, shitty crystal, shitty insert, rusty tension ring and rusty click spring.

• Haha
Reactions: Nur-Uhr

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13
hey, rust takes time to grow. You thought you could have it for free? :D

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13
hey, rust takes time to grow. You thought you could have it for free? :D

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
Caseback is different from sub, here are comparison pictures with ZZF 116610 caseback (with sticker). The build will end up 12.40mm when you use 2.7mm gasket.

Mind if I ask what the tube and crown combo was used with this new caseset? The VN caseset technically had the wrong tube size and tap, but was easily over come by an older tube…

Build looks amazing though!

fatboy637

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/22

Here is a pic of my 16710 using this case. All gen, except midcase, caseback and insert.
What would you say is the most reliable source for gen parts with a watch like this? As someone who only currently has a midcase