• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Updated Royal Oak Tourbillon by R8 Factory are out

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
Are these limited to certain dealers I asked PureTime Ana he cannot get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Are these limited to certain dealers I asked PureTime Ana he cannot get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The latest info I have from Zack at DrTime is that R8F was raided and is currently shut down. He said he didn’t know if it was temporary or permanent.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
So the stainless steel bracelet on my R8F AP was just too uncomfortable, and I ordered a rubber strap from AliExpress to replace it. The strap for this rep isn't the "normal" AP RO size (28mm), but rather it is 27mm. Furthermore the little metal end links (not sure if that's the right name for them) aren't the same size as the ones for a 28mm bracelet / strap. For the AP RO Tourbillion the strap width is 27mm and the end links are 3.6mm.

There are far fewer options for replacement bracelets / straps in the 27mm size. This is the one I ordered from AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000137301981.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.5c014c4dlkr05K

I went with this option because it included the little stainless steel end links. Whereas this option on Etsy didn't include the end links (or rather I would have had to buy the end links for $40 separately).

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1160316379/for-audemars-piguet-27mm-croco-grain

I have also ordered the croc leather version from Etsy to see if I prefer the rubber or the leather strap. I'll post some pics when the croc leather version arrives. But without further ado, here are some pics of the rubber strap installed.
The rubber strap is FAR more comfortable than the steel bracelet. It does take away slightly from the "statement" power of the AP, but I kinda like it to be honest.

Reactions: THXuk

indyberetta

Renowned Member
16/6/07
Houston, Texas USA
These are great reps. The movements are solid. A glamor shot of sorts in my Maybach.
c436b4767047069850f72be89e8c1dfd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaneraiAddict

Renowned Member
21/3/14
Love the model but can’t get over the one key indicator they still fail to get right, the wrong size gear under the hand stack.

if they could get that correct then this one would be so close to Gen and a clear winner. I still have hope we will one day get that wish!

cranestep

Known Member
26/5/22
Here are a few of the most recent pictures. I asked about availability and they are in stock as of now.

jqf7xY.jpg
jqfvXs.jpg
jqfNWD.jpg
jqfRQk.jpg
jqfffo.jpg
jqf0uW.jpg
jqfGhJ.jpg
jqfSnP.jpg

But God fucking dammit. Whose dick do I need to suck to have this dial made?
Or is it possible to have this dial custom made Natas78 & @legend
jqfJIQ.jpg

R8 just annouced it made this dial buddy

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Here’s the announcement I saw on WeChat. Bottom version is the google lens translation. Interesting to see the claim of a self winding tourbillon movement. I don’t think there are any rep tourbillon movements that are automatic. As far as I know all rep tourbillons are variations of the seagull manual wing movement.

zOkwMJ.jpg

zOkMDP.jpg

Reactions: grillbrill

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Here’s the announcement I saw on WeChat. Bottom version is the google lens translation. Interesting to see the claim of a self winding tourbillon movement. I don’t think there are any rep tourbillon movements that are automatic. As far as I know all rep tourbillons are variations of the seagull manual wing movement.

zOkwMJ.jpg

zOkMDP.jpg
No. Eg. there have been IWC automatic tourby reps for a long time.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I hope they can keep the thickness reasonable…
Looking at the promo pics (not that they're a reliable source for much other than speculation). It does look like the automatic module is more integrated with the movement that is the case on the IWC Portuguese automatic tourbillon movement (which I recently learned about thanks to @grillbrill ). The automatic module on the IWC looks to be very much a "bold on" design (which would increase thickness), whereas the promo pic seems to show an automatic design that's more integrated with the mainplate with something related to the automatic system sitting right on top of the ratchet wheel.

zOwhZt.png

Reactions: grillbrill

Qoqa

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/2/21
We'll see if they can make that Audemars Piguet applique.. Seems difficult ! It's not good on the new chronos but i'ts a different maker

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Looking at the promo pics (not that they're a reliable source for much other than speculation). It does look like the automatic module is more integrated with the movement that is the case on the IWC Portuguese automatic tourbillon movement (which I recently learned about thanks to @grillbrill ). The automatic module on the IWC looks to be very much a "bold on" design (which would increase thickness), whereas the promo pic seems to show an automatic design that's more integrated with the mainplate with something related to the automatic system sitting right on top of the ratchet wheel.

zOwhZt.png
I'm afraid they used a pic of a gen movement in their promo poster. We'll see none the less. I'm quite sceptical.

Reactions: 68snoopy

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I'm afraid they used a pic of a gen movement in their promo poster. We'll see none the less. I'm quite sceptical.

I was similarly skeptical, but I compared the gen movement to the promo pic, and there’s a clear difference. Obviously this is bad because it means the rep has a clear difference from the gen, but it’s good because it’s an indicator that the promo poster isn’t pure photoshop. Here’s the difference: on the gen, the automatic reversing wheels aren’t exposed, whereas on the rep they appear to be.

zOwnlL.jpg

zOw6fR.jpg

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
I was similarly skeptical, but I compared the gen movement to the promo pic, and there’s a clear difference. Obviously this is bad because it means the rep has a clear difference from the gen, but it’s good because it’s an indicator that the promo poster isn’t pure photoshop. Here’s the difference: on the gen, the automatic reversing wheels aren’t exposed, whereas on the rep they appear to be.

zOwnlL.jpg

zOw6fR.jpg
Bro, I think there is no difference. Here is another pic of gen:

cranestep

Known Member
26/5/22
Here are some factory photo I got from dealer.
Seems the Toubillon is quite off still, the jewel close is not red but purple.
The grey dial seems to be a little bit lighter than gen

zO427K.jpg
zO4h88.jpg
zO4KAR.jpg
zO4Lzv.jpg
zO4eY1.jpg
zO45wj.jpg
zO4aiI.jpg

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Bro, I think there is no difference. Here is another pic of gen:

Yup you're 100% correct. I was confusing the pearlage for exposed gears in the promo shot due to low resolution. But it's very clear from the pics that @cranestep posted that we're dealing with a bolt on automatic module and a very different looking movement from the gen.

Reactions: Autobús