• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Black Bay 58 ZF v2 vs Gen

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
I can say the same for the Heritage 41. I had the gen 79230N and loved it. Then I bought the ZF and couldn’t tell them apart. The only benefit to gen was the power reserve. So I bought another eight-slot winder. Problem solved.

You cannot go wrong with any of the Tudor reps, honestly. My Pelagos is awesome, even with the noisy Miyota. I quieted it down a bit, but that’s it’s only fault to speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Did the dial difference bother you as much ? I feel like having the gen might've slightly ruined the ZF for me haha. I think the benefit of the money saved beats having a couple hours of extra power reserve. For me, I was so satisfied with the ZF, I sold the gen!

Reactions: vcappp

RepWatchNoob

Known Member
3/5/18
EU
What about the movement noise? Is there some noise to hear on the gen as well? Have the feeling that mine is a bit loud. Even I had it at a watchsmith for servicing. How many times do you turn the crown for winding it?

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
What about the movement noise? Is there some noise to hear on the gen as well? Have the feeling that mine is a bit loud. Even I had it at a watchsmith for servicing. How many times do you turn the crown for winding it?

Movement noise is there, but it's unnoticeable unless you shake the watch near your ear. Gen is a lot more silent, but I'm sure with enough attention you'll notice it too.

Usually I wind it about 30-40 times or so, stop it when I feel too much resistance. Don't want to end up servicing the watch just yet haha.

Nick010

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
31/3/20
Rotterdam
Been looking for this watch for some time now.
Much appreciated for the review????????

shortlegs

31/5/19
Nice review!

I haven't had the chance to really compare my ZF V2 and gen closely, but I think there are a couple of other differences.

The ZF is thicker than the gen. On the ZF, there is also a chamfer cut into the inner tip of the lugs for clearance of the rivet head on the bracelet. And lastly, for some reason the gen fits better than the ZF. The gen wears very nicely. The ZF is either just a tad too snug for me, or too loose (3 micro-adjust points isn't quite enough). Not sure exactly why the 2 wears differently, will go check on it soon.

And 1 last point. Somehow, for Rolex and Tudor reps at least (not enough experience with other brands), the bracelet edges on a gen is always just smoother. Same for even the vaunted ARF bracelets. On feeling and loupe inspection, there isn't much difference between a gen and rep bracelet, but it was quite apparent on wearing them. Anyone else feel this way too?

Reactions: Snookit and vcappp

Parci73

Known Member
25/10/11
Great review! Thanks a lot! Since Last week I also own REP and GEN.

Pictures showing very good the difference between Rep and Gen.

eee78fe14f7c417299bf53f8e4c40fe3.jpg

Reactions: Proud and vcappp

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
Nice review!

I haven't had the chance to really compare my ZF V2 and gen closely, but I think there are a couple of other differences.

The ZF is thicker than the gen. On the ZF, there is also a chamfer cut into the inner tip of the lugs for clearance of the rivet head on the bracelet. And lastly, for some reason the gen fits better than the ZF. The gen wears very nicely. The ZF is either just a tad too snug for me, or too loose (3 micro-adjust points isn't quite enough). Not sure exactly why the 2 wears differently, will go check on it soon.

And 1 last point. Somehow, for Rolex and Tudor reps at least (not enough experience with other brands), the bracelet edges on a gen is always just smoother. Same for even the vaunted ARF bracelets. On feeling and loupe inspection, there isn't much difference between a gen and rep bracelet, but it was quite apparent on wearing them. Anyone else feel this way too?

Thanks!

Yes noticed that about the wear too, thought it was just in my head (this costs 10x more, it has to be better!) but its very minimal and definitely not a deal breaker. Never really gave it much thought till you brought it up. Can't say much about the bracelets, this is my first Tudor/Rolex (gen and rep) and while trying to change the bracelet to a nato, learned that they need a different tool! Spent a good hour googling ways to change the bracelet and trying different methods but it just didn't seem to work.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
Great review! Thanks a lot! Since Last week I also own REP and GEN.

Pictures showing very good the difference between Rep and Gen.

eee78fe14f7c417299bf53f8e4c40fe3.jpg

Thanks!

Rep is the one on the left I'm guessing? Absolutely love the look on a nato, got myself a black one with a red stripe but have not been able to remove the bracelet.

Parci73

Known Member
25/10/11
Yes, left the Rep on a C&B Strap.

As you wrote in your review, the Rep is a phantastic Watch, about 80 to 90 percent to the Gen.

It‘s hard to tell the flaws without holding the Rep and Gen close together. But in you do, you See all the mentioned points very clear.

Nevertheless, I love both!

Reactions: cap923

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
This has been great thread. Given the delivery delays on most things just now, then I think I'll hold off for a couple months until things settle down and also to see whether any V3 news surfaces before I pull the trigger on a V2 (unless someone in the UK/EU comes up on M2M sales then I might jump sooner!).

Last edited:

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Thanks for that review, for 288usd we can't go wrong with that one.
Looking forward to see the XF version posted by one of our fellow member against the ZF and Gen.

Reactions: vcappp and Accd19

Accd19

Horology Curious
4/1/20
I’m definitely having a hard time removing the bracelet as well. Do you have suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Accd19

Horology Curious
4/1/20
I’m definitely having a hard time removing the bracelet as well. Do you have suggestions?

Sent from the RWI App

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
Yes, left the Rep on a C&B Strap.

As you wrote in your review, the Rep is a phantastic Watch, about 80 to 90 percent to the Gen.

It‘s hard to tell the flaws without holding the Rep and Gen close together. But in you do, you See all the mentioned points very clear.

Nevertheless, I love both!

I think the biggest tell for me was the lume colour in the rep was a little lighter than the gen. No complaints about the lume colour, but how does the lume of your hands and markers match up? Mine's pretty bad in some lighting.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
This has been great thread. Given the delivery delays on most things just now, then I think I'll hold off for a couple months until things settle down and also to see whether any V3 news surfaces before I pull the trigger on a V2 (unless someone in the UK/EU comes up on M2M sales then I might jump sooner!).

Given how long people have been waiting for a V3 and with no news from the TDs, I wouldn't put my hopes up too high. I'm starting to just embrace the flaws of the V2.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19

Sent from the RWI App

I would suggest not using a normal watch tool. And patience. I'm sure I have given some serious scratches to the lugs and the spring bars on my ZF trying to get the bracelet off. Going to try RepWatchNoob suggestion of a flat screwdriver when I have the time.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
Try to use a flat screw driver and push the end link in one direction

Will try that, I've tried everything I could find online to get it off (even the thumbtack idea I saw on one of the forums) but nothing seemed to work. All I managed to do was scratch up the lugs and spring bars, glad it was on the ZF rather than the gen. Definitely will try this when I have the patience and time, or maybe get a rep bracelet tool? haha