• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

To GEN or not to GEN?

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
If you absolutely want that watch as a gen, go for it. My personal views on buying gen differ a bit though

When buying a gen, I think you should really only go for a watch that isn't repped well at all; Like a watch with an in house movement, or intricate case details or finishing. There are a good few watches in that category.

It's all about what you value personally, your values could be drastically different. Do whatever makes YOU happy

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
I say go gen if you can, especially if its a watch you really desire to keep long term. Also be sure you can afford the watch. What I mean by that is never finance a watch, that's just stupid. If you can spend the funds without effecting other areas in your life then go for it.

Good advice....If you are going to buy a GEN try the Rolex Forums. TDs They sell all brands.

I bought both my GENs from a TD there, DavidSW...He also has a web site

http://davidsw.com/

xkrazymattx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/13
I'm thinking I'm putting my gen purchasing on hold. I thought I had my mind made up.. and switched over to a SOHC and was getting 25% off but still waffled and didn't pull the trigger. I thought getting the approval from the wife and having the money was going to make it an easy purchase but something is holding me back and not sure what it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Roller

INMATE
16/1/15
I'm thinking I'm putting my gen purchasing on hold. I thought I had my mind made up.. and switched over to a SOHC and was getting 25% off but still waffled and didn't pull the trigger. I thought getting the approval from the wife and having the money was going to make it an easy purchase but something is holding me back and not sure what it is.

I can tell you what it is...$4000 blown on a watch.....If you don't have 20X the cost of a watch liquid in the bank , I would not buy it. IT has to be a purchase made with 'mad money" that won't affect your financial picture in the least..

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
Good advice....If you are going to buy a GEN try the Rolex Forums. TDs They sell all brands.

I bought both my GENs from a TD there, DavidSW...He also has a web site

http://davidsw.com/

+1 that's the same TD I got my sub from and going back for my next gen this weekend. Has a great selection of brands all in mint condition mostly and great prices too. Why go gen? Because you can afford to without impacting other parts of your life i.e. House, kids, health, and even the wife, lol!! For sure the feeling of owning a gen is different and someone has already mentioned that it feels better wearing a rep if you own a gen. Ironically I was driven to buy a gen sub when I got a TC. I started thinking that if a rep sub can be this well built how good must the gen be? It was worth it. I have other gens too and the next one will be my last before I return to reps because it lets you add so much more variety to your collection without breaking the bank.

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
I can tell you what it is...$4000 blown on a watch.....If you don't have 20X the cost of a watch liquid in the bank , I would not buy it. IT has to be a purchase made with 'mad money" that won't affect your financial picture in the least..

i'm not sure its the money... I think its the fact knowing that I can get 95% as good as the real deal for a 1/10th of the price, that and I dont think I feel the deal is good enough. I know the mark-up is HUGE on brand new pieces... so only 25% off to me feels like I am still paying sticker. I just feel torn.. like I can buy a shit ton more reps... or get one of the real deal which will mean a lot more to me ... but it's only one. I think my problem is that I don't hold on to things for a long time... look at my cars. Im 30 years old and on my 10th car by choice. I'd have 10 different cars at the same time if I could afford it lol.

Roller

INMATE
16/1/15
i'm not sure its the money... I think its the fact knowing that I can get 95% as good as the real deal for a 1/10th of the price, that and I dont think I feel the deal is good enough. I know the mark-up is HUGE on brand new pieces... so only 25% off to me feels like I am still paying sticker. I just feel torn.. like I can buy a shit ton more reps... or get one of the real deal which will mean a lot more to me ... but it's only one. I think my problem is that I don't hold on to things for a long time... look at my cars. Im 30 years old and on my 10th car by choice. I'd have 10 different cars at the same time if I could afford it lol.

The thing you are buying when you pay a ton for a watch is "exclusivity" You have something silly expensive that rewards you of your successes in life. I will pass mine down to my nephew.

A Rolex is not worth $8000 LOGICALLY or PHYSICALLY...Of course you can get a better watch for far less.......Citizen echo drives run better and do more for much less. But that is not why people buy Rolexes. They buy exclusivity. Because they can. Some people have a $50,000+ watch collection. Like many have $5000 REP collections. Neither would be me.

When I started buying REPs I too bought too many and sold a bunch. I enjoy wearing the GEN more than the reps. But I bought reps of GENS I would like to have except for PAMS....The REPS are too good to buy a gen. Rolex, not so much, and I would never spend thousands to make an "almost" Rolex or franken watch . That is to me nothing more than a very expensive rep at the end of the day. But many build them and enjoy them

I respect the REP world but not to the point of spending GEN money on a pile of REPs. $4000 worth of "fake" watches is IMO silly.
Buy the GEN and the play with the reps for $300 a clip or so.

I
too have your "car" (and Bike) "problem" IN the past year I have had and sold two Corvettes, a RAV 4 and now own a 12 SE Miata and 15 Tacoma...The wife is happy with a Honda CRV. On the bike front I had a Heritage, Ultra Classic and now a Sportster 1200 LOL.

I will be looking to buy the new Mazda ND redesign and the redesigned 16 Tacoma in the Fall.... But one thing I will never have.... TWO Rolex GENS

One is more than enough. I have a handful of REPS left over and wear them. as well.

I say Get a GEN..Then buy some REPS You will feel better about your reps having a GEN.....

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
The thing you are buying when you pay a ton for a watch is "exclusivity" You have something silly expensive that rewards you of your successes in life. I will pass mine down to my nephew.

A Rolex is not worth $8000 LOGICALLY or PHYSICALLY...Of course you can get a better watch for far less.......Citizen echo drives run better and do more for much less. But that is not why people buy Rolexes. They buy exclusivity. Because they can. Some people have a $50,000+ watch collection. Like many have $5000 REP collections. Neither would be me.

When I started buying REPs I too bought too many and sold a bunch. I enjoy wearing the GEN more than the reps. But I bought reps of GENS I would like to have except for PAMS....The REPS are too good to buy a gen. Rolex, not so much, and I would never spend thousands to make an "almost" Rolex or franken watch . That is to me nothing more than a very expensive rep at the end of the day. But many build them and enjoy them

I respect the REP world but not to the point of spending GEN money on a pile of REPs. $4000 worth of "fake" watches is IMO silly.
Buy the GEN and the play with the reps for $300 a clip or so.

I
too have your "car" (and Bike) "problem" IN the past year I have had and sold two Corvettes, a RAV 4 and now own a 12 SE Miata and 15 Tacoma...The wife is happy with a Honda CRV. On the bike front I had a Heritage, Ultra Classic and now a Sportster 1200 LOL.

I will be looking to buy the new Mazda ND redesign and the redesigned 16 Tacoma in the Fall.... But one thing I will never have.... TWO Rolex GENS

One is more than enough. I have a handful of REPS left over and wear them. as well.

I say Get a GEN..Then buy some REPS You will feel better about your reps having a GEN.....

I think you pretty much summed it all up quite perfectly. So how did you pick your gen?? I feel that is my problem. I am bored with the majority of the reps that I have already LOL.

repvar

2/4/15
I have a Gen watch that had a starting price of $8K when it was new.

Honestly, I don't find myself ever wearing it. Maybe once a month when it's the turn in the rotation(but even then, it doesn't feel like a special day)

The reps are just too good these days. I can hold that $8K watch in one hand, and a $200 Pam Noob V3 in another...and I can't even really tell the difference in quality. They both have that hefty feel of an expensive watch, the glass has very similar AR(the noob is maybe a tiny iota worse), as a non-watch nerd, when I flip them over and look at the movement, they both look amazing. That's the thing, the superreps these days are so good that they can't even be spotted unless you either have 2 watches right next to each other, or if that person is allergic to pussy and the only thing they do with their time is memorize movements.

Like literally, if any of the superreps were their own company, and there was no gen to compare to, they could easily sell in that same price range based on the quality/attention to detail alone.

Now yes, I think it's important to have 1 gen, so you know what it feels like to actually wear a $8K watch on your wrist, so you know how it makes you feel, so that when you are wearing your rep you can get into the same mindset.

But if there is a super rep for a watch, no way in hell should you be getting a gen.

And as far as reliability is concerned. Sure the OEM is obviously more reliable. But you still need to service that watch, and for a Rolex, that's $500 every 4-5 years. Most reps these days will last more than that, and when they break, you can always use that $500 to buy yourself a new one(although we all know it'll be even less than that). And when you buy that new version 4-5 years down the line, it'll be a) more reliable b) even closer to gen c) it'll again be brand spanking new instead of full of scratches and dings.

3d printing is pretty much already here, within 5 years, they'll be able to make truly 1:1 replicas of these watches. Just look at how far the reps have come in the last few years.

So pretty much there are only a few cases where it actually makes sense to buy gen:

1. it has an intricate in-house movement, that's very obvious and impossible to copy. If you have to be a watch nerd with a magnifying glass just to spot the difference with the gen(omg that screw is 1mm too big...FAKE!), then just get the rep.
2. the cost of the "superrep" is just too much compared to the cost of the gen thing. Unless you are saving at least 90% of the cost compared to the gen, there is really no point.
3. you are a corrupt Chinese/Russian official and need a way to smuggle your money out of the country.

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
I have a Gen watch that had a starting price of $8K when it was new.

Honestly, I don't find myself ever wearing it. Maybe once a month when it's the turn in the rotation(but even then, it doesn't feel like a special day)

The reps are just too good these days. I can hold that $8K watch in one hand, and a $200 Pam Noob V3 in another...and I can't even really tell the difference in quality. They both have that hefty feel of an expensive watch, the glass has very similar AR(the noob is maybe a tiny iota worse), as a non-watch nerd, when I flip them over and look at the movement, they both look amazing. That's the thing, the superreps these days are so good that they can't even be spotted unless you either have 2 watches right next to each other, or if that person is allergic to pussy and the only thing they do with their time is memorize movements.

Like literally, if any of the superreps were their own company, and there was no gen to compare to, they could easily sell in that same price range based on the quality/attention to detail alone.

Now yes, I think it's important to have 1 gen, so you know what it feels like to actually wear a $8K watch on your wrist, so you know how it makes you feel, so that when you are wearing your rep you can get into the same mindset.

But if there is a super rep for a watch, no way in hell should you be getting a gen.

And as far as reliability is concerned. Sure the OEM is obviously more reliable. But you still need to service that watch, and for a Rolex, that's $500 every 4-5 years. Most reps these days will last more than that, and when they break, you can always use that $500 to buy yourself a new one(although we all know it'll be even less than that). And when you buy that new version 4-5 years down the line, it'll be a) more reliable b) even closer to gen c) it'll again be brand spanking new instead of full of scratches and dings.

3d printing is pretty much already here, within 5 years, they'll be able to make truly 1:1 replicas of these watches. Just look at how far the reps have come in the last few years.

So pretty much there are only a few cases where it actually makes sense to buy gen:

1. it has an intricate in-house movement, that's very obvious and impossible to copy. If you have to be a watch nerd with a magnifying glass just to spot the difference with the gen(omg that screw is 1mm too big...FAKE!), then just get the rep.
2. the cost of the "superrep" is just too much compared to the cost of the gen thing. Unless you are saving at least 90% of the cost compared to the gen, there is really no point.
3. you are a corrupt Chinese/Russian official and need a way to smuggle your money out of the country.
How did you know my secret! Damn my covers blown!!

You have some very valid points as well. See I had figured I would sell my reps and keep only the gen for a while and see how I feel and maybe order some new reps then. Or not.. who knows

Roller

INMATE
16/1/15
I think you pretty much summed it all up quite perfectly. So how did you pick your gen?? I feel that is my problem. I am bored with the majority of the reps that I have already LOL.

Easy ......I wanted the GEN of the most replicated watch in the world. WHY? Because when asked if its real, (and I get asked a lot) I can proudly ALWAYS say yes. There is no "discomfort"

I KNOW its a GEN, and that makes all the difference. I know res are good but no matter how good they are, they are a fake...That does not work for me. IT would be like wearing a bad hair piece and being asked about it.....LOL For me there is no possible way I would feel the same wearing a replica....Doesn't work for me. Especially with a brand like Rolex....Breitling ok PAM ok I have a BLNR because I like the style. I am trying to decide on that GEN. I wear it with a NATO strap so it really doesn't scream ROLEX. But it gets very little wrist time.

No one asks about my PAMs or the Tudor. A lot of people ask about Rolex as it is a very well known brand. I did not want to meekly say it's a replica...

I wear the GEN 80% of the time. Depending on what I am doing or where I am going.

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
I pretty much agree with all the [MENTION=95206]Roller[/MENTION] has said so far. I've been purging my collection so I'll be left with my 4 gen keepers and a 5th that I ordered today. Figure these 5 will satisfy me and I'll be able to pass them to my boy one day. However I know the rep world will keep calling me because I can get even more variety in my collection at a reasonable price and have access to the look and feel of pieces that I couldn't consciously buy without feeling guilt about it!!

D

d4m.test

If it´s not a Rolex, You´ll loose about 40%-60%, after You´ve walked out of the shop. Plus the Rolex (new or used) will always be sold fast and near the price You´re asking. It will not cost You $4000 but more like $6200.
The next question is much less if You can afford to buy it (as it´s money on the wrist instead of money on the banc account), it´s much more about "can You afford to suddenly loose it" and live without or replace it? Whatever You do, or try, or however careful somebody is, in 95% of cases "things" will happen to the gen, not to the Seiko and not to the reps.
Imo with $4000 You just blow it on reps, the next $4000 blow them on reps too and not on medium priced gens and once You´re there for a while and have the next $4000 playmoney, than get rid of some reps and get the Rolex gen Submariner or GMT. You can do all this with the price of one Daytona or a Submariner and a Datejust. And only do it once You´re 100% sure it´s really the one watch You will be comfortable with using for the next decade(s).

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Go gen, you will not reget it. Theres a special feeling about wearing a gen. I can't really explain it, but there is.

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
See I don't think I would even want to spend 4k on reps.. I think I might just need to pull the trigger and buy a gen.. and see how it goes. The wife already knows it will never just be one.

Roller

INMATE
16/1/15
See I don't think I would even want to spend 4k on reps.. I think I might just need to pull the trigger and buy a gen.. and see how it goes. The wife already knows it will never just be one.

HEll no..IMO That is way too much money to throw on replicas. But that's just me speaking...

If I were you I would save a bit more unless you can live with a DJ Go to The ROLEX FORUMS and look for DavidSW in the trusted Dealer section I bought two from him. He also has a web site.DavidSW.com.

Save up for a No Date Sub, About $6200 for a new in Box with all papers and boxes. Sometimes a blank warranty card as well. Get the GEN out of the way. Then buy a few REPS of really good pieces Like Panerai, Non Chrono Breitlings, and maybe Omega if you like them ( you can get GENS of Omegas and Breitlings in the $4000 price range.) But I would rather rep those brands.

Some Rolex GENS in your price range..He carrys all brands/

http://davidsw.com/product/rolex-114270-explorer-207/
http://davidsw.com/product/rolex-114200-oyster-perpetual-white-dial-with-black-numbers/
http://davidsw.com/product/rolex-177234-datejust-with-pink-dial/
http://davidsw.com/product/rolex-16710-gmt-master-ii-3/
http://davidsw.com/product/rolex-16610-submariner-6/

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
HEll no..That is way too much money to throw on replicas.... If I were you I would save a bit more Go to The ROLEX FORUMS and look for DavidSW in the trusted Dealer section I bouoght two from him. He also has a web site.DavidSW.com. Save up for a No Date Sub, About $6000 for a new in Box with all papers and boxes. Sometimes a blank warranty card as well. Get the GEN out of the way. Then buy a few REPS of really good pieces Like Panerai, Non Chrono Breitlings, and maybe Omega if you like them ( you can get GENS of Omegas and Breitlings in the $4000 price range.) But I would rather rep those brands.
See I'm not a huge fan of rolex. I love breitlings. However I have never tried on a gen rolex before.

Roller

INMATE
16/1/15
See I'm not a huge fan of rolex. I love breitlings. However I have never tried on a gen rolex before.

Yeah a lot of people really despise Rolex because their marketing exceeds the real value of the watch. The intrinsic value is there though. That is what i think they don't like.

Its a really really expensive Stainless steel mechanical watch no better in its primary purpose than a Seiko. But it is a well recognized logo in as much as Harley Davidson....Both are not worth the money but people pay up for them nevertheless.

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
Yeah a lot of people really despise Rolex because of their marketing exceed the real value of the watch. The intrinsic value is there though. That is what i think they don;t like. Its a really really expensive Stainless steel mechanical watch no better in its primary purpose than a Seiko.
My father is a fan having owned 2 presidentials and now an explorer but I just don't see it. They seem so plain and small to me. I NEVER wear my sub rep (super cheapo) or my dssd.

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
Definitely recommend DAVIDSW in TRF for a pre owned gen. I got another from him today AND he took pp payment when nobody else would. If you do decide to go gen I recommend him.