• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

To GEN or not to GEN?

Jcgul

16/4/15
I'm thoroughly pumped for you... That's without a doubt a favorite Rolex

imajedi

15/8/13
Uhhhh I'm having the same dilemma as OP. Plenty of money to get the gen but $10K is still a lot of money. I even love the blue dial 116622 op got. I'm torn between that and the 116713. Had a great offer on the GMT and then chickened out at the last second. The new J12 116622 is supposed to be really good and I was thinking of getting that instead and dropping in a gen movement and crystal. For $2500 I'm done but alas lack the "feeling". Might use the money to buy another house instead. Damn I'm so confused. I just love watched soooo much.

xkrazymattx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/13
Uhhhh I'm having the same dilemma as OP. Plenty of money to get the gen but $10K is still a lot of money. I even love the blue dial 116622 op got. I'm torn between that and the 116713. Had a great offer on the GMT and then chickened out at the last second. The new J12 116622 is supposed to be really good and I was thinking of getting that instead and dropping in a gen movement and crystal. For $2500 I'm done but alas lack the "feeling". Might use the money to buy another house instead. Damn I'm so confused. I just love watched soooo much.
I feel ya. I sat in the store for an hour with my wife just making sure she wasn't ******* with me when she told me to spend the 11k. So far it is absolutely amazing wearing it but it is a ton of money. I think this scratched my gen itch for some time as I can't see doing this again in the near future. Just the stress of shopping lol. I'm kind of impatient to say the least. I saw pre owned pieces with no warranty for about 8-9k but at that price I want one that was mine. Now i also get the new 5 year warranry rolex just started issuing. Its now my watch and my story to create and hopefully pass down one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

imajedi

15/8/13
I feel ya. I sat in the store for an hour with my wife just making sure she wasn't ******* with me when she told me to spend the 11k. So far it is absolutely amazing wearing it but it is a ton of money. I think this scratched my gen itch for some time as I can't see doing this again in the near future. Just the stress of shopping lol. I'm kind of impatient to say the least. I saw pre owned pieces with no warranty for about 8-9k but at that price I want one that was mine. Now i also get the new 5 year warranry rolex just started issuing. Its now my watch and my story to create and hopefully pass down one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Great watch and great story. I hope to follow in your footsteps.

Malkovich

9/8/14
The thing you are buying when you pay a ton for a watch is "exclusivity" You have something silly expensive that rewards you of your successes in life. I will pass mine down to my nephew.

A Rolex is not worth $8000 LOGICALLY or PHYSICALLY...Of course you can get a better watch for far less.......Citizen echo drives run better and do more for much less. But that is not why people buy Rolexes. They buy exclusivity. Because they can. Some people have a $50,000+ watch collection. Like many have $5000 REP collections. Neither would be me.

When I started buying REPs I too bought too many and sold a bunch. I enjoy wearing the GEN more than the reps. But I bought reps of GENS I would like to have except for PAMS....The REPS are too good to buy a gen. Rolex, not so much, and I would never spend thousands to make an "almost" Rolex or franken watch . That is to me nothing more than a very expensive rep at the end of the day. But many build them and enjoy them

I respect the REP world but not to the point of spending GEN money on a pile of REPs. $4000 worth of "fake" watches is IMO silly.
Buy the GEN and the play with the reps for $300 a clip or so.

I
too have your "car" (and Bike) "problem" IN the past year I have had and sold two Corvettes, a RAV 4 and now own a 12 SE Miata and 15 Tacoma...The wife is happy with a Honda CRV. On the bike front I had a Heritage, Ultra Classic and now a Sportster 1200 LOL.

I will be looking to buy the new Mazda ND redesign and the redesigned 16 Tacoma in the Fall.... But one thing I will never have.... TWO Rolex GENS

One is more than enough. I have a handful of REPS left over and wear them. as well.

I say Get a GEN..Then buy some REPS You will feel better about your reps having a GEN.....
Froggie, is that you?

https://rwg.cc/topic/175510-rwi-forum-im-banned

theflyingdutchman

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
I spent 35k and 17K on 2 gens (2x IWC) in 2013 ... and swore, no more reps as I have had so much bad luck with them (e.g. DOA's) ... now 2 years later, I am back as; reps are so much more fun if they work....

umblackbear359

28/4/15
I worry enough keeping my reps blemish free. If I bought a gen I think I'd be too worried about all the time to really enjoy it. If I desk dove a gen rolex I think it would be all consuming dissapointment for about a week.

I also love being able to service it, mod it, etc. It has taught me more about horology then buy a gen ever would have. Reps are a hobby, gens are a fashion statement.

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Here's the JF 116622. Beautiful but I am highly likely to get the gen in the next few weeks as I know I will keep it forever unless I end up needing the cash, god forbid.
TC's new platinum will satisfy the other YM itch as no desire for a gen of that (yet).
3c9825738b554bfe6453ce2cb1449cf7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
Here's the JF 116622. Beautiful but I am highly likely to get the gen in the next few weeks as I know I will keep it forever unless I end up needing the cash, god forbid.
TC's new platinum will satisfy the other YM itch as no desire for a gen of that (yet).
3c9825738b554bfe6453ce2cb1449cf7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one gorgeous watch .... I would love to have that GEN but a BLNR would be in front of it. Then I would have three gens....Not gonna happen. Ever. Even if I hit the Lottery. One is more than enough. That might be a nice REP to own though. Everytime I see a Blue YM, I get itchy fingers..... MIght have to locate one of those M2M in a REP. I am one of the few who actually likes PCLs on Rolex bracelets,