• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The "Wrapped" Gold Sub Guide"

D

d4m.test

Great thread! But it still didn't persuade me to not want a gold rolex!!

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Anyone else notice Noob has now released plated versions of the 116613 LB and LN?

It does make me wonder if they have read this thread and realized that since we now know the truth about their “Wrapped” watch’s people won’t be willing to spend the $600 + for them anymore!?

https://www.intime01.co/rollie/4222...dition-blue-dial-on-ss-yg-bracelet-a2836.html

I would now like to see a visual test between their “Wrapped” link compared to this plated one! How different will the color really be?

Reactions: Parabuteo

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
Anyone else notice Noob has now released plated versions of the 116613 LB and LN?

It does make me wonder if they have read this thread and realized that since we now know the truth about their “Wrapped” watch’s people won’t be willing to spend the $600 + for them anymore!?

https://www.intime01.co/rollie/4222...dition-blue-dial-on-ss-yg-bracelet-a2836.html

I would now like to see a visual test between their “Wrapped” link compared to this plated one! How different will the color really be?
Well the wrapped are still actually wrapped in something. That’s just plated on external surfaces. Look at the sel side

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Well the wrapped are still actually wrapped in something. That’s just plated on external surfaces. Look at the sel side

Good point I didn’t notice that. I still would like to see a comparison between the gold color of both though.

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
Good point I didn’t notice that. I still would like to see a comparison between the gold color of both though.
My guess is it will be off like most plating. Apparently most reps use a titanium nitrate coating, not gold, but that could just be heresay, but as andrei’s test shows, the wrapped definitely has a real gold plate on it

stupidsexyflanders

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/7/17
damn i'm still waiting for the test of the BP wrapped lol. Wanting to pull the trigger on a BP wrapped 116655. I read everything and I know there might not be actual gold in there, but it is a lot more durable right? I shouldn't have to worry about it rubbing off or anything right?

Parabuteo

Patron, Salt and Lime
7/9/12
damn i'm still waiting for the test of the BP wrapped lol. Wanting to pull the trigger on a BP wrapped 116655. I read everything and I know there might not be actual gold in there, but it is a lot more durable right? I shouldn't have to worry about it rubbing off or anything right?

If you take care of even plated gold....gently clean it after each wearing to remove contaminants, try to keep it away from pool and ocean water...it should last a good long time. @Versaceboy54 stresses cleaning like this and I do it too. Doing this wears me out a little, I save my gold for special occasions and wear SS as a daily beater.

Whether “wrapped” is in fact a lot more durable is open to debate in my mind, again if plated over the “wrapping” you still need to clean and care for it to maintain the plating. The difference would be if you had a deep scratch in the plating, with a wrapped you would see brass underneath rather than SS so it should be a lot less noticeable.

That said some research I have done tells me gold should not be plated directly over brass, if there is no nickel plated barrier in between, the brass will migrate and tarnish/darken the color. Some have posted they see this in certain reps.

I’m too am hoping @2470f2.8ii will get a chance soon to test the BP link and give us more info...

Reactions: corleone911

stupidsexyflanders

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/7/17
If you take care of even plated gold....gently clean it after each wearing to remove contaminants, try to keep it away from pool and ocean water...it should last a good long time. @Versaceboy54 stresses cleaning like this and I do it too. Doing this wears me out a little, I save my gold for special occasions and wear SS as a daily beater.

Whether “wrapped” is in fact a lot more durable is open to debate in my mind, again if plated over the “wrapping” you still need to clean and care for it to maintain the plating. The difference would be if you had a deep scratch in the plating, with a wrapped you would see brass underneath rather than SS so it should be a lot less noticeable.

That said some research I have done tells me gold should not be plated directly over brass, if there is no nickel plated barrier in between, the brass will migrate and tarnish/darken the color. Some have posted they see this in certain reps.

I’m too am hoping @2470f2.8ii will get a chance soon to test the BP link and give us more info...
thanks for your insight, I decided to just get a non gold watch for now until we can gather more information about the BP wrapped/gold filled watches

bfiuza

23/3/15
My Noob wrapped clasp. Came with like a rust under the gold.

Td call me 146usd for a new buckle.

But noob wrapped you can polish the golds parts :)

But very bad experience this time

817de5b64eeaf40e385cf054fed4b459.jpg
aa3afdc6e86281e767145bccd9e5ed9e.jpg

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
Been out of town on assignment for a few days. Tomorrow morning I'll stop by one of those we buy gold places. Will let you know what I find out as soon as I get back here :)

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Been out of town on assignment for a few days. Tomorrow morning I'll stop by one of those we buy gold places. Will let you know what I find out as soon as I get back here :)

Thanks for doing this for us :) Looking forward to the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
Alright gentlemen, the moment of truth is upon us. It took two pairs of pliers but I removed the gold part from the stainless steel.

I took the link first to an estate jeweler. I just told them I was looking to see what this link was made out of. The lady wasn't too sure at first, examining it with a loupe for a few moments.

View attachment 87045

Then she took it in or a scratch test where it rubbed off onto the sand paper looking box. The color my link left behind was white. There were a few other pieces that had been scratched leaving gold on the bar. She told me it was plated due to the fact that white rubbed off but still tested it for gold. Both applications proved there to be no gold content. It's thick plated at best.

View attachment 87046

You can see the steel showing through here. I still wanted to get some more information so I called a local pawn shop that told me they could test the actual material.

After getting to the pawn shop, the guy used a loupe and could already see the steel showing through. He told me it was plated. I offered money to get a legit breakdown of the alloys inside but he didn't have the tools to do so...not sure why they said they could on the phone. He recommended a jewelry shop but I decided to end the search here.

Looks like it's just very thick plated, not sure with what but it's certainly a better option than the stock plated.

Wether it's worth the money for a bracelet is up to you, I'm still satisfied with my franken but will keep my eyes open for a suitable replacement bracelet.

View attachment 87048

Best,
2470f2.8ii

Reactions: corleone911

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
Alright gentlemen, the moment of truth is upon us. It took two pairs of pliers but I removed the gold part from the stainless steel.

I took the link first to an estate jeweler. I just told them I was looking to see what this link was made out of. The lady wasn't too sure at first, examining it with a loupe for a few moments.

View attachment 87045

Then she took it in or a scratch test where it rubbed off onto the sand paper looking box. The color my link left behind was white. There were a few other pieces that had been scratched leaving gold on the bar. She told me it was plated due to the fact that white rubbed off but still tested it for gold. Both applications proved there to be no gold content. It's thick plated at best.

View attachment 87046

You can see the steel showing through here. I still wanted to get some more information so I called a local pawn shop that told me they could test the actual material.

After getting to the pawn shop, the guy used a loupe and could already see the steel showing through. He told me it was plated. I offered money to get a legit breakdown of the alloys inside but he didn't have the tools to do so...not sure why they said they could on the phone. He recommended a jewelry shop but I decided to end the search here.

Looks like it's just very thick plated, not sure with what but it's certainly a better option than the stock plated.

Wether it's worth the money for a bracelet is up to you, I'm still satisfied with my franken but will keep my eyes open for a suitable replacement bracelet.

View attachment 87048

Best,
2470f2.8ii
Are you sure this is the wrapped bracelet?

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
View attachment 87060
Are you sure this is the wrapped bracelet?

It's the bracelet for this watch: http://www.ttw-1388.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=352&products_id=14372

In the description it states:
BRACELET: Brushed New Style Oyster Bracelet in 18K Yellow Gold Two Tone Wrapped Gold Bracelet, Engraved ROLEXROLEX on rehaut with Alpha Numeric serial numbers at 6:00, Correct New Rolesor Clasp Oyster/Diver Extension with Serial number inscribed on end links.

For the record mine didn't have serial numbers inside the end links either.

The estate place tested for "14k" with the second bottle of liquid and it showed up negative.

I bought this bracelet from trusty and it fits my BP perfectly.

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
View attachment 87060

It's the bracelet for this watch: http://www.ttw-1388.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=352&products_id=14372

In the description it states:
BRACELET: Brushed New Style Oyster Bracelet in 18K Yellow Gold Two Tone Wrapped Gold Bracelet, Engraved ROLEXROLEX on rehaut with Alpha Numeric serial numbers at 6:00, Correct New Rolesor Clasp Oyster/Diver Extension with Serial number inscribed on end links.

For the record mine didn't have serial numbers inside the end links either.

The estate place tested for "14k" with the second bottle of liquid and it showed up negative.

I bought this bracelet from trusty and it fits my BP perfectly.
So it seems BP’s wrapped isn’t the same as noobs, at all?

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
So it seems BP’s wrapped isn’t the same as noobs, at all?

Look at the first couple pages of this thread, they dissect the noob. Noob is just a type of metal foil wrapped around the ss. The bp was rumored to be gold all the way through, guess not. Also I did have it tested for gold content, if there is any; it's too small to be detected. I assume copper and some others but it's just speculation.

D

d4m.test

Looks like I’ll be buying the cheaper plated versions and a gold plating setup!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

gamba66

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/15
Look at the first couple pages of this thread, they dissect the noob. Noob is just a type of metal foil wrapped around the ss. The bp was rumored to be gold all the way through, guess not. Also I did have it tested for gold content, if there is any; it's too small to be detected. I assume copper and some others but it's just speculation.
Thanks so much for your work man.

This really shows that the whole "wrapping" business is a big sham :( I wouldn't put too much hope into any progress so I think it is much better to buy the regular plated versions plus a gold plating setup a la @Thehitman

BTW I really adore your franken it is the most beautiful build I have seen so far! If you ever consider selling it, let me know ;)