• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The "Wrapped" Gold Sub Guide"

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
Hey guys, for clarification.

This is the watch I got for the BASE of my franken build:
View attachment 87734

I bought these genuine components: GEN BEZEL, CROWN & CRYSTAL.

I had them put onto that BP base watch.

I just ordered the bracelet only from this watch:
View attachment 87735

It's stated to be much more gold content and closer to gen. It is no doubt closer to gen in many ways.

Here's a photo I just took of the two bracelets side by side. Keep in mind, the gold on my bezel and crown is genuine 18kt rolex gold. You can see the difference in richness of the color from the cheap bracelet vs the more expensive version. For the record it cost around $450 USD for that bracelet, and there's a "all sales final" clause if you can find a dealer to source you the bracelet only.

Hope this helps =)
View attachment 87736

Reactions: smilekevin

Skägg

22/5/14

View attachment 87734

View attachment 87735

It's stated to be much more gold content and closer to gen. It is no doubt closer to gen in many ways.

Here's a photo I just took of the two bracelets side by side. Keep in mind, the gold on my bezel and crown is genuine 18kt rolex gold. You can see the difference in richness of the color from the cheap bracelet vs the more expensive version. For the record it cost around $450 USD for that bracelet, and there's a "all sales final" clause if you can find a dealer to source you the bracelet only.

Hope this helps =)
View attachment 87736
Thanks!

CharlieC

Horology Curious
26/7/17

View attachment 87734

View attachment 87735

Hope this helps =)
View attachment 87736
Looks nice man!

Parabuteo

Patron, Salt and Lime
7/9/12
But would you say it is genuine gold wrap on the more expensive one or just a non gold compound that looks like gold?

Ummm.... @2470f2.8ii, if you will read his earlier post -went to the trouble of TESTING it as to gold content for the benefit of the members and it was negative.

Reading comprehension is helpful here.....this whole thread has shown there is no such thing as “genuine gold wrap”....at least in current BP and Noob wrapped watches.

Alright gentlemen, the moment of truth is upon us. It took two pairs of pliers but I removed the gold part from the stainless steel.

I took the link first to an estate jeweler. I just told them I was looking to see what this link was made out of. The lady wasn't too sure at first, examining it with a loupe for a few moments.

View attachment 87045

Then she took it in or a scratch test where it rubbed off onto the sand paper looking box. The color my link left behind was white. There were a few other pieces that had been scratched leaving gold on the bar. She told me it was plated due to the fact that white rubbed off but still tested it for gold. Both applications proved there to be no gold content. It's thick plated at best.

View attachment 87046

You can see the steel showing through here. I still wanted to get some more information so I called a local pawn shop that told me they could test the actual material.

After getting to the pawn shop, the guy used a loupe and could already see the steel showing through. He told me it was plated. I offered money to get a legit breakdown of the alloys inside but he didn't have the tools to do so...not sure why they said they could on the phone. He recommended a jewelry shop but I decided to end the search here.

Looks like it's just very thick plated, not sure with what but it's certainly a better option than the stock plated.

Wether it's worth the money for a bracelet is up to you, I'm still satisfied with my franken but will keep my eyes open for a suitable replacement bracelet.

View attachment 87048

Best,
2470f2.8ii

ross29

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/09
I'm curious to see how the new BP "wrapped" bracelets holds up to W-Archive TT bands. @locolouie looks like his are on par for a lot less $$.

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
I'm curious to see how the new BP "wrapped" bracelets holds up to W-Archive TT bands. @locolouie looks like his are on par for a lot less $$.

I’m not convinced on the color. I still like the BP wrapped better as his looks a bit to dull compared to the BP wrapped which is bright and rich like 18k. What watch is he using as a base for this one anyway?

Also he’s already said his 14k Wrapped has a lighter gold color that’s why he made the change and decided to use the JF 116613 plated as base for his custom watch instead of the Noob which is also stated to be 14k Wrapped.

ross29

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/09
I’m not convinced on the color. I still like the BP wrapped better as his looks a bit to dull compared to the BP wrapped which is bright and rich like 18k. What watch is he using as a base for this one anyway?

Also he’s already said his 14k Wrapped has a lighter gold color that’s why he made the change and decided to use the JF 116613 plated as base for his custom watch instead of the Noob which is also stated to be 14k Wrapped.
Well then, I guess that settles it. Good to know since I want to get the most accurate to gen and would like to make the purchase only once if I can help it. Sounds like BP is still the way to go. Thank you sir.

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Well then, I guess that settles it. Good to know since I want to get the most accurate to gen and would like to make the purchase only once if I can help it. Sounds like BP is still the way to go. Thank you sir.

Well Thank you for your vote of confidence in what I say [emoji4]
Please just remember this is really just my opinion and I’m only going by the few pics I’ve seen so don’t hold me to it lol

Let’s see what everyone else thinks as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
The w archive looks promising. But so does everything online...

If you get it, please send me a spare link and ill take multiple photos of all 3 side by side :)

ross29

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/09
The w archive looks promising. But so does everything online...

If you get it, please send me a spare link and ill take multiple photos of all 3 side by side :)
I'm definitely curious to see that as well. I know there are a few members here who have already put in orders on W-Archive for the TT, it would be interesting to see. It seems like he has 2 different options as well, and without a gen next to it, I can't tell which is better.

VCI

Horology Curious
22/2/17
Nice guide!

Thx for seen this before buy one (almost)

:biggrin:

ross29

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/09
Great video from a member on RG with BP wrapped vs. Gen 116613
The gold on the BP looks darker than the gen, and that dial has the purplish hue at certain angles. W-Archive supposedly refinished his bluesy dials. It will be interesting to see.

https://youtu.be/SLSNOyA7tyA

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
Man...that video could have been a little less frantic.

Could you provide the rg link? Im hoping for sone photos as well