• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The watches that you modded / worked on personally

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Arghh I can't quit buying Seiko parts, there are so many fun dials to make cool builds.

This dial looks like it was originally made to have a 3 o'clock date window frame so the 14 and 16 minute tics were omitted.

KXKHNW.jpeg

Then obviously the date window was made at 3.8 but that left some unnecessarily missing minute tics. More on this later.

I added a SEIKO sticker. These are super easy to install, they are sandwiched between two layers of paper. You peel off the back to expose the sticky letters, press them down and peel off the front protective layer.

I added a piece of bracelet tape to make sure I got it level. You can set the sticker lightly and check level with pics. Then it can be nudged a little or even removed and reset before pressing it down fully.

KXHNP5.jpeg

KXKzeJ.jpeg

This went well so I decided to try adding the 14 and 16 minute tics back. I did this before on a Rolex dial by cutting and pressing a tiny piece of a neatly cut white sticker right onto the dial. This was 18 months ago and it hasn't budged so I had high hopes for stickers meant to go on a dial.

The letters "I" and "T" in the unused "AUTOMATIC" were good candidates for this effort. They had to be shortened some and cut away from everything else .

KXKDPk.jpeg

KXKZ0o.jpeg

KXHgoD.jpeg

Then they get positioned in place and pressed down

KXHx13.jpeg

KXHEmp.jpeg

Looks so much better!
KXHFet.jpeg

Have black and silver hands, so have to choose
KXHbHn.jpeg

I picked the black hands, but now I think I like the silver ones, hah. Maybe they will get changed. The insert is something different, much less busy than a full GMT insert. I like its simplicity and uniqueness for this fantasy build.

17150457522440.jpg

Last edited:

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
Love to see more Seiko mod addicts here! Here's my latest commission piece. I tried to argue for some MM300 style hands but he wanted Mercedes style. Oh well, still looks pretty in my eyes and the customer is always right in the matter of taste.

KXIcDk.jpeg

KXIJsD.jpeg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

A special thank you to @KJ2020 who helped me find the right solution to secure a 25-286 on a case that had a much bigger stock crystal. Which in turn allowed me to fit the correct insert.

The bezel needed some filing to fit the insert OD

With lugs reshape, drilled and a Raffles dial, this makes a credible budget 14060
Beautiful bro, Super Mod!

Reactions: Karbon74

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I love a Malachite dial so I grabbed one of these from AliX. It wasn't cheap at $50 and came with a disappointing amount of scratches on the dial and the markers.

KvClfJ.jpeg

I spent some time waxing the dial and polishing out the markers. I've used a good quality car wax successfully even on painted dials, a stone dial is even safer to do. The wax I use is AUTO GLYM, a product from Great Britain. The markers were done with a dremel pad in a variable speed drill at a much lower RPM than my dremel can go.

The waxing took off some of the logo letters. I was actually OK with this as the white color looked out of place - too bright, and too much contrast. I took all the white letters off and replaced them with silver stickers.

KvCQlo.jpeg

At some point the dial suffered a couple minor chips at 32 and 52, I don't remember it happening. Fortunately neither one shows. Stone dials are really fragile.

KvCrJD.jpeg

The case and bracelet I picked are really nice for about $50. Look at that SEL recess! And it has a Glidelock clasp.

KvCBWk.jpeg

So here it is. I'd love to have a Rolex with a Malachite dial, they did make them. But this will do for now, hah.

KvCC2P.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Reactions: wisedennis