• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Vintage DateJust Thread

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/10/19
KTivbQ.jpeg

Yellowhammerwatches

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/24
I just won this dial. Says it’s for the 1601/1603 DJ which called for the 1570 movement. I’ve read this whole thread and I guess I missed it, but which case from Raffles do I need? He’s urging me to use a 3135 and swap the crystal which I’m fine with - would prefer it, but will a 4 digit DJ dial date window work with a 3135 movement.

At this point take my money and tell me which movement and case I need.

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
I just won this dial. Says it’s for the 1601/1603 DJ which called for the 1570 movement. I’ve read this whole thread and I guess I missed it, but which case from Raffles do I need? He’s urging me to use a 3135 and swap the crystal which I’m fine with - would prefer it, but will a 4 digit DJ dial date window work with a 3135 movement.

At this point take my money and tell me which movement and case I need.

I've been thinking about this as I love the 1601, but I haven't actually done it, so it's based on information I've read on RWI. So take it with a grain of salt.

The dial feet moved in the transition from 1570-based 4-digit DJs to 3035-based 5-digit DJs, so you either have to remove the dial feet and add new ones or use dial dots, or drill holes in the 3135 base plate for 4-digit dial feet. Talented members here have done both and can tell you how to do it.

You will need an overlay for the date wheel, as the position of the date window also moved in the transition from 4-digit to 5-digit DJs. As a result, the position of the cyclops on the crystal is slightly different. 1016_idiot_savant has a great post in this thread about that:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/the-vintage-datejust-thread.10967403/page-2#post-11623424
The cyclops 118 for 4-digit DJs is 30.6 mm outer diameter and 29.4 mm inner diameter, while the cyclops 135 crystal is 30.7 mm outer diameter and 29.5 mm inner diameter.

As for the exact Raffles case to use, that is outside the scope of my knowledge, but I would hazard a guess that a 5- or 6-digit DJ case that fits a 3135 would be your best bet. But you might have to sand down either the case or inside of a 118 to make it fit, and then pair it with a proper 4-digit DJ bezel. Again, take all this with a grain of salt.

Yellowhammerwatches

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/24
Thanks for confirming. I spoke at length with Ken and ordered a 36 mm case for the 2836 movement. Using an open 6,9 with flat 3 DWO. Not messing with a crystal swap as I'm not messing with a different bezel on this one. Should go fairly smooth.

Reactions: GenuineFool