• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ultimate Daytona Buying Guide (Ref. 116520/116500)

Bloody9

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
26/1/24
US
I'm getting close to making my purchase. Let me know if I'm doing this right. I will give it a week for CNY traffic to chill out then was planning on this:
  • Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black dial with 4130 movement from Clean Factory through a TD. Opting for the previous ref. that has a time tested 4130 in it.
  • Deep Crystal - I think I found a US TD that sources them. Or are these Deep Crystals common enough to ask the same TD I buy my watch from to include it?
  • Send both pieces to a trusted servicer to have a full service done on the watch and the crystal installed. I'm a little skeptical about the first time service on a watch that's brand new from China, what they seem to be selling is piece of mind since factory QC on movement is not the best?
Did I cover all the steps?

e1phantom

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
I'm getting close to making my purchase. Let me know if I'm doing this right. I will give it a week for CNY traffic to chill out then was planning on this:
  • Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black dial with 4130 movement from Clean Factory through a TD. Opting for the previous ref. that has a time tested 4130 in it.
  • Deep Crystal - I think I found a US TD that sources them. Or are these Deep Crystals common enough to ask the same TD I buy my watch from to include it?
  • Send both pieces to a trusted servicer to have a full service done on the watch and the crystal installed. I'm a little skeptical about the first time service on a watch that's brand new from China, what they seem to be selling is piece of mind since factory QC on movement is not the best?
Did I cover all the steps?
1) Make sure the Clean still has DD4130 (SA4130) as it's been said that Clean will stop using this movement soon
2) Most TDs will be able to source and often times have crystal installed for you prior to delivery
3) It's peace of mind. I literally have 20 Daytonas (Clean/BTF) and all work fine. Clone movements often aren't the "cleanest" specimens, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them serviced. A 4130 service will likely run you north of $400 USD. If your peace of mind is worth $400+ and you can find someone to service it in a timely manner, go for it. I personally have not and would not.

Bloody9

Supporter
Certified
26/1/24
US
1) Make sure the Clean still has DD4130 (SA4130) as it's been said that Clean will stop using this movement soon
2) Most TDs will be able to source and often times have crystal installed for you prior to delivery
3) It's peace of mind. I literally have 20 Daytonas (Clean/BTF) and all work fine. Clone movements often aren't the "cleanest" specimens, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them serviced. A 4130 service will likely run you north of $400 USD. If your peace of mind is worth $400+ and you can find someone to service it in a timely manner, go for it. I personally have not and would not.
Thanks! So what's DD4130 and SA4130? Is that the same thing and you are just noting to make sure I get that movement and not the new 4131?

Bloody9

Supporter
Certified
26/1/24
US
I wish there was a way to edit and delete posts on RWI! I had another question as soon as I wrote the first one.
2) Even though most TD's will offer to do the crystal installation, if I'm going to spend the $400 on a service from a trusted service in US, would it be more prudent to just have them do the installation? (quality wise)

e1phantom

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
I wish there was a way to edit and delete posts on RWI! I had another question as soon as I wrote the first one.
2) Even though most TD's will offer to do the crystal installation, if I'm going to spend the $400 on a service from a trusted service in US, would it be more prudent to just have them do the installation? (quality wise)
Editing posts is a privilege reserved for financial supporters of the forum.

Crystal installation is very easy. It will be much cheaper to have your TD do it if it's a service that TD offers. There will be no "quality" difference...

Bloody9

Supporter
Certified
26/1/24
US
Do you all use the chrono functions on Daytona or just leave it for aesthetic purposes? I'm curious if it's one of those things that's best not to touch since it's Chinese-manufactured and another thing that can break. Or if it is safe to play with it.

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
I run the chrono on my Clean V3 for about an hour when wearing it (about once a month ) but wouldn't make it a common practice to do it if worn daily. Even though the DD4130 is a proven beast, these are clone movements and are not made in the cleanest environment with no or very little quality control.

Bloody9

Supporter
Certified
26/1/24
US
I run the chrono on my Clean V3 for about an hour when wearing it (about once a month ) but wouldn't make it a common practice to do it if worn daily. Even though the DD4130 is a proven beast, these are clone movements and are not made in the cleanest environment with no or very little quality control.
I forgot to mention v3 in my notes above. I’ll be sure to specify clean v3. Thanks.

Bloody9

Supporter
Certified
26/1/24
US
Are there any TDs that are known for sourcing higher quality 116500LN Clean v3 Pandas?

I know they all ultimately come from the same factory, but I'm wondering if some TDs are better than others about weeding out the bad apples before sending them to us to QC.

aaronglass

Supporter
Certified
19/9/18
Thanks for this, grabbing a Daytona again soon.

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
Are there any TDs that are known for sourcing higher quality 116500LN Clean v3 Pandas?

I know they all ultimately come from the same factory, but I'm wondering if some TDs are better than others about weeding out the bad apples before sending them to us to QC.
Jtime is very good about that, lucy is on the one who hand picks them, but be prepared for like a few month wait with her

Bloody9

Supporter
Certified
26/1/24
US
Jtime is very good about that, lucy is on the one who hand picks them, but be prepared for like a few month wait with her
Months on a clone? Yikes! I ended up using a non-TD. I told him get me a good QC one and I wouldn't be a difficult QC'er. Got pics in 48 hours and greenlighted it after having my trusted watch servicer and another friend look at it with me.

wildkid

Looking Around
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/24
SEA & CONUS
Folks, I keep finding my top start/stop chrono button can endlessly rotates clockwise although it's "locked in" and cannot actuate the function anymore. The bottom reset button is fine however, after watching this video it seems like it wasn't screwed in all the way from the inside, right?