• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 'swiss' 2836 teardown

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Hey SMIDSY great post... did you dissect an asian clone like this? Would love to see how that looks like in the inside!!!

I'm loathed to tearing down a perfectly working movement but if people want me to I will ;)

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
So SMIDSY this teardown was this of a non working "swiss" movement? or was this brand new from the dealer?

I'm loathed to tearing down a perfectly working movement but if people want me to I will ;)

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
Hi Smidsy: Thanks for the excellent review! What a mess! It's the sort of situation where I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I bought a UPO from D4M a couple of years ago and it indeed has a Swiss movement in it--for which I paid a premium. Should I now tear it down and clean it? I did remove the rotor to check whether it was Swiss, when I first received it, and the movement did look clean..... I guess I rather naiively assumed the movement would have been new. Silly me!

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
So SMIDSY this teardown was this of a non working "swiss" movement? or was this brand new from the dealer?

working is an interesting word there ;) it's about a month old from a dealer... and yes was 'working'.
I bought a UPO from D4M a couple of years ago and it indeed has a Swiss movement in it--for which I paid a premium. Should I now tear it down and clean it? I did remove the rotor to check whether it was Swiss, when I first received it, and the movement did look clean..... I guess I rather naiively assumed the movement would have been new. Silly me!

D4M is a great dealer... erm well if it is running fine and the readings are good then I'd say leave it alone ;)

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
Hey SMIDSY, sorry for all the questions... but I'm just a bit of concern for watches that I will be getting and I'm guessing others will be curious as well.

1. Why did you tear this movement apart? Was it just out of curiosity or was there something wrong with the movement (ie. was it running slow/fast or not winding properly...etc)?

2. What is your personal preference regarding watches we get from the dealers? Should we leave it alone if it is running fine or service it ASAP?

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
This is EXCELLENT Smidsy. Once again, I've learned something. I just bought a 42mm PO with the nickel plated "Swiss" 2824. I bought it primarily because a lot of posts don't point to a discernable difference and I just think the nickel looks "perdy". If I can save $50 and maybe have a more reliable piece, then I'm all for it.

Thank you for all your endeavors.

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
No problem ask away!

Basically whilst the movement was running according to the vibrograf data fully wound the amplitude was very low and the stem was sticky so i wanted to find out why. Basically the movement 'could' have been left in there BUT I though this was as good a time as any to tear a 'swiss' movement down.

Hmm personally I always get the watches timed on a vibrograf through my work - some dealers now do this as part of QC... at the same time I get the gaskets greased, the watch regulated and pressure tested. A so called 'spa' treatment.

I think servicing initially is a waste of time and money especially as the clone movements I have seen in comparison to this swiss one have all been relatively OK....

This is EXCELLENT Smidsy. Once again, I've learned something. I just bought a 42mm PO with the nickel plated "Swiss" 2824. I bought it primarily because a lot of posts don't point to a discernable difference and I just think the nickel looks "perdy". If I can save $50 and maybe have a more reliable piece, then, I'm all for it.

Thank you for all your endeavors.

I'm glad you found it helpful! I'm sure some swiss movements will perform better than this one... BUT why chance it AND pay premium!

I'm currently getting the parts I need to 'repair' this one.

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
amaaaaazing post smids, great to put the 'swiss' rumour to rest (atleast in this watch), thats has been one of the best technical posts i've seen for a while, keep up the great work.

aratron

8/2/11
Awesome post Smidsy man!!!

Totally agreeing with you there. I think people in general don't give whole chinese movements proper credit. The few disassembly of the seagull I seen are relatively good.

I think servicing initially is a waste of time and money especially as the clone movements I have seen in comparison to this swiss one have all been relatively OK....

I think the question now is that are all chinese "Swiss" ETAs being made the same way? Or does any of the rep factories actually source ETAs or Sellitas from legit sources? :thinking:

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
That's a pretty old movement there. Looks like they put motor oil in the keyless works.
confused-18.gif

GC

I'm Pretty Popular
1/2/10
BRAVO!!!!!

Funny%20Animated%20GIFs%20-%20Bravo%20Good%20Sir.gif

Smidsy, i for one truly appreciate this tear down. I'm a big believer in really knowing what we get and making an educated decision. THANK YOU!

I would like to be greedy and ask you to do a tear down of an advertised Clone movt so it can finally be put to rest that going "Clone" is ultimately the smarter decision.

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
This is the kind of information that new users to this site will be reading for years to come as advice/warning. Thanks for your labor.

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
yuo're all welcome and thank you :)

I just checked and the movement was made in 2000 between September and October.... according to its serial number :)

the nickle plating is common on tissot and some eta models it is not indicative in any way of the quality of the movement :)

so Im I going to have to teardown another movement this time the 2836 clone :)

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
That's a pretty old movement there. Looks like they put motor oil in the keyless works.
confused-18.gif

yeah, this one is really bad. Seing as much oil on wheels in the automatic bloc is not that common.

Hopefully all the swiss movements in reps are not that bad.

aratron

8/2/11
If it saves you some time... this is one done by lysanderxiii from watchuseek.

A direct comparison of seagull TY2130, Hangzhou 6300 and ETA 2824-2

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/how-do-seagull-hangzhou-compare-eta-depth-look-216945.html

This is a seagull

DSCF0993.jpg

Comparison of the three plates

IM001464.jpg

I think what the rep makers use are the same seagull and hangzhou 2824 clones movements. Unless they offer an inferior grade stuff to rep makers... we should expect of getting pretty similar stuff.

Small rep mods like decorated rotors should not differ the over all quality. No pricing incentive for the rep makers or "chino-Swiss" movement assemblers to take apart the movement for no reason.

I just checked and the movement was made in 2000 between September and October.... according to its serial number :)

This is interesting... these are pretty old stuff. I believe we can reasonably suspect that these movements could either be inferior parts watch that ETA rejected or even ... dare I say, sourced from watches being sent in for service from unsuspecting gen owners ... service person swap these with a less expensive Hangzhou 6300 and the gen sold back the old dirty movements.... there is a price incentive.

the nickle plating is common on tissot and some eta models it is not indicative in any way of the quality of the movement :)

I did not know that. Thanks for correcting me. Do you know how can one distinguish the different ETA grades from looking at the movement alone? Standard, Elaboré, Top and Chronomètre. Special marking or surface finishing perhaps.

Never mind, answered some of my own question. LOL

EC - Economique (nickel plated with Etachoc shock protection)
ST - Standard (also with Etachoc shock protection and ETASTABLE Hairspring threatment)
EL - Elaboré(with Incabloc shock protection and basic decoration [not sure what deco])
T - Top (based on the Elaboré with "assortments chronometer")

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Nice tear down. Is this you doing the work or one of your employees? I am glad you made this post. It raises more questions about our hobby and the ole ETA vs. Clone questions for sure. :)
Where is the serial number? I ask because I didn't see it. Usually the manufactures use their own engraving or at least I thought.
I personally don't mind a second hand ETA in a rep as long as it isn't this dirty. I bet the rep factory cobbled this one together which is a shame.

Sticky?? We will see. ;)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Do you know how can one distinguish the different ETA grades from looking at the movement alone? Standard, Elaboré, Top and Chronomètre. Special marking or surface finishing perhaps.

I have 2 German watches that are both chronometre grade movements and the finish is unreal on both of them. This is where a genuine Eta will part company with any clone. But in the rep world I would never pay more for a so-called swiss movement. If you want to insure a swiss movement, then buy it separately and install it yourself.

Aside from the finish the chronometres are each numbered. Here is one of them.
Stowa8Large.jpg