• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 'swiss' 2836 teardown

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
stiff I honestly struggle to understand you....

I reckon they vary hugely... this one was actually swiss but I've seen a lot of 'swiss' movements and a lot of them are repaired with either clone or cheap parts and badly.

stiff muckler

Known Member
26/8/10
stiff I honestly struggle to understand you....

I reckon they vary hugely... this one was actually swiss but I've seen a lot of 'swiss' movements and a lot of them are repaired with either clone or cheap parts and badly.

danke

sm iiH!

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
another swiss movement today came in... same story.... LOTS of corrosion and they had used WD40 as a lubricant :facepalm:

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
is that bad? so wd40 too thick or not thick enough? at least they used some kind of lubricant... or it better to have no lubricant?

another swiss movement today came in... same story.... LOTS of corrosion and they had used WD40 as a lubricant :facepalm:

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
wd40 is really a degreaser not really a lubricant. I also think it's slightly corrosive :(

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
This was so informative. I don't think I will go swiss...

stefanp67

Horology Curious
5/8/10
I got 2 watches with 2836-2 movements as bad as your teardown. Both watches a PO 45mm and a SM300 Vintage were bought late 2010 so i guess this is the norm nowadays when getting swiss movements. I did manage to fix them by buying a couple of $10 Eta 28xx movements off Ebay for spare parts so the repair cost was $20 for both the 2836:es :D.

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
FYI clones appear on ebay now too :(

sebzbox

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/8/08
Wow smidsy! Incredible work, I really like to see if a typical A2836 is properly oiled and cleaned! Also I would like to see if it's the same with the A7750

Keep posting and I'll keep coming here to RWI!

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
haha I need to use that quote in my sig ;)

erm the a7750 ISNT the best example here... it's not always well made... however the clone 2836 seem alright!

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Franke I disagree the parts that are missing and have been replaced are far more than those of an ebauche.... also the serial doesnt match an ebauche :)

Cee

Renowned Member
1/6/11
Thank you for this information Smidsy.

You have convinced me that these so called 'Swiss' ETA movements are most likely just a way to squeeze an extra few bucks out of the consumer. Also, thank you for the PM about this topic beforehand!

Omega UPO Asian ETA - Here I come! :)

discog

Known Member
9/6/11
Fascinating stuff here, thanks for the thread!

This is great info for a beginner like me.

opus5

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/10
An eyeopener for all of us... great post. This is really shocking ...

D

d4m.test

That is exactly why I just can't see any logic in buying a "Swiss" ETA movement. Why pay MORE for an old, dirty, and repaired with chinese clone parts movement! At least the clone is a brand new movement for less! After all, who really can tell the difference on the wrist?!

All my reps will always have the clone movement :) I currently have a GMT2C incoming, and that will have the clone movement.

NSM88

Looking Around
5/9/10
Its pretty hard or near to impossible to find a new ETA movement in the so called swiss replicas,
i dont say that they dont exist,but they are pretty much rare to come by,and if someone is willing to pay 300usd+ for a swiss you can always buy a new swiss ETA over ebay for 120-220 USD and a asian movement based watch for 150 usd and when you feel so,
you can replace it with the swiss one.
Btw the prices i gave for ETA's are only related to the 2836's

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Its pretty hard or near to impossible to find a new ETA movement in the so called swiss replicas,
i dont say that they dont exist,but they are pretty much rare to come by,and if someone is willing to pay 300usd+ for a swiss you can always buy a new swiss ETA over ebay for 120-220 USD and a asian movement based watch for 150 usd and when you feel so,
you can replace it with the swiss one.
Btw the prices i gave for ETA's are only related to the 2836's

The fact that you will find or not a Swiss ETA in a rep depends on the factory which assembled the watch: some factories use clones and sell them as gens, some use refurbished gens, and some use brand new gens. Not even talking about those who use whatever they can find. :)

As for the ETA movements sold on ebay, a fair 70% are in fact clones sold as gens.