• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The SH4401 is imminent... AP chrono fans rejoice

lovegensandreps

Kodo Constant-Force Tourbillon rep when?
22/9/22
EU
It could be like Hublot where the reps have better QC than the gen.
I wouldn’t use the chrono on this same as I don’t on the 7750 reps, but I’m just glad they’ll finally release thinner AP chrono reps. I’m tired of these bricks on my wrist
Yeah no I don't think this will be the case, AP is not Hublot

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I mean the gen movement has fundamental flaws.... look it up. People who own GEN have issues with the minute chrono running randomly, reset issues, timekeeping issues.

Noone knows about rep movement but if gen movement has flaws already imagine the rep clone of gen lol
I think most of what you read is off the internet and gen watch forums.
I can share with you the truth of the matter as an owner of multiple 4404 and 4401 movement powered watches, and who has communicated with the AP service department specifically on the matter:

The fact is that the early batches of the 4401 and 4404 movements (namely royal oak chronos and ROOs but strangely not the code 11.59 chronos exhibit some minor annoyances like the minute counter hand creep and winding problems. The chrono and flyback functions are reliable. So you’re partially correct.

However the late 2022 onward batches have had these issues addressed and AP has acknowledged this quietly and have actively contacted me (and other owners I’m sure) to send in our watches for parts upgrade and partial service. The upgraded 4401 and 4404 movements have been nothing short of stellar so far. I’m not saying that they will stay perfect forever but I can confirm that in the months after the upgrade for the watches I sent in, there has been zero issue with the movements. My observations are empirical rather than scientific.

For the rep clone movements, I am happy that they are released but I am not hopeful that they will be problem free. Owners should embrace the opportunity to have new watches to play with and not worry about reliability and all. These are movements powering replica watches costing a few hundred dollars, which aren’t really APs and it should suffice that the rep makers are progressing in this aspect.
I’m sure that the rep makers will continue to do better in various aspects of the watch and that should be good enough for anyone spending this level of money. I’m actually happy to hear the news and am looking forward to the clone movement releases.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It could be like Hublot where the reps have better QC than the gen.
I think for AP your statement is untrue. For the older design movements like the 3126/3840 the chrono issue was due to a design flaw. No amount of QC can rectify that.
The rep is based on the gen. I do not see an instance where the rep can be better than the gen in terms of design, material used, production quality or QC work. Yes some minnows tend to swim through the QC net but these are exceptions as opposed to the norm.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Does AP come with a 0% issue rate when it comes to QC? Sure as hell not, no brand does to be honest but even thinking of comparing APs QC to the QC other brands like Hublot are doing is absurdity at best and has me kicking for better words.

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
I can't believe I missed this thread... Finally, we could have decent functional AP chrono reps. I hope that they try and rep the 2385 next, I need a 26315 panda in my life :love:

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
30/3/09
Yes, a proper and inexpensive 2385 (FP 1185) clone would open the Pandora's box of APRO reps wide but I'm afraid it will never happen. 🤣

Sad but true. It is rare to find the rep makers producing great reps of smaller watches, not sure why. If they are going to make a "great" rep of the AP ROC, it is going to be the 41mm model, and the 38mm will be ignored.

Who knows maybe they will surprise us? The 1185 can be used for several applications as well, it would be worth their while to produce a proper rep of that movement. Other than that, I may have missed it but would the 4401 actually fit in the 38mm case?

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
Sad but true. It is rare to find the rep makers producing great reps of smaller watches, not sure why. If they are going to make a "great" rep of the AP ROC, it is going to be the 41mm model, and the 38mm will be ignored.

Who knows maybe they will surprise us? The 1185 can be used for several applications as well, it would be worth their while to produce a proper rep of that movement. Other than that, I may have missed it but would the 4401 actually fit in the 38mm case?
I don't think so, isn't the 1185 quite a bit thinner than the 4401?

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
30/3/09
Yes- 5.55mm to 6.8mm (in the 4401) as far as diameter goes the 1185 is 25.6mm and 4401 is 32mm- that is a huge difference.

I just do not know if the 38mm model in gen form has any spacers or anything else that would allow the dial/case to be bigger than it should be.

At the end of the day, I still feel the 38mm ROC will not be repped (sadly!)

Reactions: KruisingKhaos95

VenomGT3

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/4/22
USA
Is there any expected release date for the reps with this movement? And speculation on which factory will be get their hands on it first?
I’m so excited

Reactions: romito_21

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
30/3/09
Is there any expected release date for the reps with this movement? And speculation on which factory will be get their hands on it first?
I’m so excited

They do not work as fast as you think, it may take months so just keep checking back for an update.

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I hope they will also finally produce some Royal Oak Offshore's with this movement.
Although I like the style of most Offshore models, I'll never get one primarily because of their size. I expect many models to be produced by the makers, it'll be a big boom for their business. Many models that haven't been in production for years will be re-introduced and make a dynamic comeback. Good times ahead for AP ROO fans.

Reactions: Anthropoid