• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

*** The panda thread *** - post your vintage Daytona pics!

Daytona6263passion

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
18/4/22
Italy
It's always a pleasure to help an enthusiast,

even a good goldsmith can make in casting the case .

In the 1970s , many of the datejust , day date , president , were duplicated with cases remade in casting by goldsmiths ...... the beginning of replicas :cool:

I believe i need to found a good goldsmith, just received a reply from Phong and they no longer provide real gold case :(

I remember the first case made by goldsmiths, here in Italy was very popular a fake daytona in real gold!

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
I believe i need to found a good goldsmith, just received a reply from Phong and they no longer provide real gold case :(

I remember the first case made by goldsmiths, here in Italy was very popular a fake daytona in real gold!

they certainly still do ,
the technique is also quite old , they make the "negative of the case" with wax and always return it with wax to the positive (the shape of the actual case) and then go on to casting and pouring the gold into the mold created and then finishing and polishing

Reactions: Daytona6263passion

pafou

Known Member
Patron
Certified
5/8/18
Others actually do it, for instance kuaredwatches that you find on eBay. He then gives you his whatsapp and can provide lots of pictures. He does gold cases quite often, also does converted movements.

Reactions: Daytona6263passion

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
There's one problem though'.......

it is very difficult to get the same blend of gold used by Rolex in the 70's , mainly because almost all 6263/6265/6239/PN for US production used a blend of 18K (and in some cases 22k) gold consisting of 75% gold , 15% silver and 10% copper , and this should be the rule they adopted , but often it was not respected at the time of casting and the gold color changed , even in your case of the bracelet that is gen seeing it in the photo (if you can post a better photo) I think the carat is much higher because it looks more like a 22k white gold (91.70% gold, 5% silver, 2%copper)

I hope I have explained myself well

Daytona6263passion

INMATE
18/4/22
Italy
Thank you for the help guys :)

I will try to contact the ebay guy and see if we can work something out, thank you for the info :)

I understand the point about the gold from 70’s made by Rolex, it’s difficult to match the material.

Daytona6263passion

INMATE
18/4/22
Italy
P.s. my bracelet is genuine but gold plated (directly from rolex) so the color is due to replanting and polish!

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
Others actually do it, for instance kuaredwatches that you find on eBay. He then gives you his whatsapp and can provide lots of pictures. He does gold cases quite often, also does converted movements.

Can you kindly post the ebay link of kuaredwatch , I can't find it , thanks

diemuse

Patron
Certified
30/8/16
GER
6f70df7862e5d85f883660421d15e39b.jpg