• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The official AP Diver discussion thread

yagmot

Horology Curious
23/3/17
Tokyo
So if you are interested in the 15703, buy one (ZF superior to the JF one for me, though I don't own or wear reps)

I’ve seen you say this a few times, but I don’t think I’ve seen you explain why.

I just ordered the JF and I’m starting to second guess myself a little, although the pics of the JF V10 and the recent talk of the fragility of the ZF inner bezel mechanism makes me less worried I made the wrong choice.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’ve seen you say this a few times, but I don’t think I’ve seen you explain why.

I just ordered the JF and I’m starting to second guess myself a little, although the pics of the JF V10 and the recent talk of the fragility of the ZF inner bezel mechanism makes me less worried I made the wrong choice.

Well ok if you want to know why I say so, in short (details you have to really see them yourself to understand)

- better dial texture and finish
- far better datewheel
- better cyclop (curved surface as per gen)
- better hand geometry and lume (not perfect, but real-world accurate)
- case geometry is more accurate vs the JF one

There is NO wrong choice here. Both are reps. Some prefer A and some prefer B. I was stating my preference and some objective observations. With regard to the dive bezel mechanism, I will advise you to refrain from engaging it, not matter what factory it comes from. NONE of them are robust or will stand to constant use trust me. I have fixed this same issue from JF, XF and Noob so far, but only because the ZF diver is too new in the market now and I have not received any for repairs. Just take the dive bezel mechanism to be another A7750 sec@12 movement chronograph. Lay off it unless you really dive. But then, I would trust a Seiko or Casio dive watch a lot more.

There is nothing wrong getting either the JF or ZF diver. I will not tell you that you made the worse or better choice. Just enjoy the watch, neither of them is gen and both are decent replicas on the wrist in real life.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Well ok if you want to know why I say so, in short (details you have to really see them yourself to understand)
- far better datewheel
There is NO wrong choice here. Both are reps. Some prefer A and some prefer B. I was stating my preference and some objective observations. With regard to the dive bezel mechanism, I will advise you to refrain from engaging it, not matter what factory it comes from. NONE of them are robust or will stand to constant use trust me. I have fixed this same issue from JF, XF and Noob so far, but only because the ZF diver is too new in the market now and I have not received any for repairs. Just take the dive bezel mechanism to be another A7750 sec@12 movement chronograph. Lay off it unless you really dive. But then, I would trust a Seiko or Casio dive watch a lot more.
There is nothing wrong getting either the JF or ZF diver. I will not tell you that you made the worse or better choice. Just enjoy the watch, neither of them is gen and both are decent replicas on the wrist in real life.
As always, completely right and I agree. The ZF would be my pick as well.

Guglhupfer

Known Member
26/6/21
Would you mind posting a picture of the watches in comparison?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16

- far better datewheel

When i had the Jf 15703, i put some Rose mechanical grease on the dive bezel mechanism. I didnt use it « a lot » but it was better in my opinion, at least in feeling.

I will buy the Zf soon after my holiday and i will do the same. I hope it can help.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
When i had the Jf 15703, i put some Rose mechanical grease on the dive bezel mechanism. I didnt use it « a lot » but it was better in my opinion, at least in feeling.

I will buy the Zf soon after my holiday and i will do the same. I hope it can help.

The design of the dive bezel mechanism is rough and not refined and it’s not something grease can help. Grease will help smoothen it but the fitment tolerance is still choppy by design. If you have operated the gen you will understand the difference is night and day.

I’m not saying that every single rep dive bezel is like that. But I’m encouraging for it to be left alone. There is simply no practical need to operate the bezel. In the same way there are A7750 sec@12 movements which are unserviced and still running months after purchase.

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
The design of the dive bezel mechanism is rough and not refined and it’s not something grease can help. Grease will help smoothen it but the fitment tolerance is still choppy by design. If you have operated the gen you will understand the difference is night and day.

I’m not saying that every single rep dive bezel is like that. But I’m encouraging for it to be left alone. There is simply no practical need to operate the bezel. In the same way there are A7750 sec@12 movements which are unserviced and still running months after purchase.

Is there a fix for this? Gen bezel swap maybe? The reason I ask is I personally where dive watches specifically because of the time bezel. The reps issues have turned me away from getting one, as I use my bezel on a daily basis.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Is there a fix for this? Gen bezel swap maybe? The reason I ask is I personally where dive watches specifically because of the time bezel. The reps issues have turned me away from getting one, as I use my bezel on a daily basis.

If you really do that, then yes it makes sense for you to consider upgrading the bezel (and crown + rotating mechanism) to gen.
Otherwise, yes the bezel operation can sometimes be improved by re-machining the connecting gears, and adding a little grease helps with the smoothness.
It is recommended however, that the gears be cleaned before grease is applied, to prevent coagulation and jamming down the road.

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15

On What type of daily activity do you require to have a movable inner ring on your analog watch ? I’m genuinely curious because even if you dive 3 times a day you’d have a basic sunto comp on your wrist in 2021

Last edited:
Reactions: QueTip

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
On What type of daily activity do you require to have a movable inner ring on your analog watch ? I’m genuinely curious because even if you dive 3 times a day you’d have a basic sunto comp on your wrist in 2021

Well it’s not an inner ring, I’m simply referring to having a dive bezel. I daily an SKX, and before that some other seikos, and rep subs. While I will use the bezel for its intended dive purpose on vacation, most day to day use involves knowing how long I’ve been working a specific job, how long the laundry has been in, when my cookies/brownies are done etc. I use them for any thing timing :)

Reactions: Lariram

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Well it’s not an inner ring, I’m simply referring to having a dive bezel. I daily an SKX, and before that some other seikos, and rep subs. While I will use the bezel for its intended dive purpose on vacation, most day to day use involves knowing how long I’ve been working a specific job, how long the laundry has been in, when my cookies/brownies are done etc. I use them for any thing timing :)

isn't it what a 2 hands watch does ?

yesterday I made brownies: the oven watch was saying 10:20 so i knew that at 10:45 i had to check them out...

I'm not trying to be funny, i'm just saying you might be overdoing imho

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

The dive bezel is rotated to countdown 15 minutes, and to give the diver a gauge of how long more oxygen he has in the tank. It is useful for events which require a countdown I agree.

But the purposes you described, a regular watch will suffice. You can easily see the time elapsed without the need for a dive bezel. You don’t even need the chronograph function. So I don’t really get it. I guess it’s a matter of individual preference. For utility timing purposes I use my iPhone or the specific apparatus like the oven but to each his own. I’m glad you found a novelty way to put the dive bezel to good use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Lariram