• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Met Gala - Unveiling the Celestial Craftsmanship of Meteorite Dials

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Has anyone bought one of these? I'm curious on the cost and users feedback on this.

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Has anyone bought one of these? I'm curious on the cost and users feedback on this.
Although not a Panda meteorite dial, I bought a Shenzhen roman meteorite dial that I absolutely love. I can't get over how gorgeous the meteorite cut is, though it would be even better had it been the same meteorite as Oascom's GMT (closer to gen). Small issue with the roughness of the cut at the bottom edge of the dial but it's a non-issue

HNAeRk.jpeg

Vietkidd05

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
11/3/22
United States
I personally had Nikz, JJ before. I now have @Oascom (roman daytona,panda daytona, and 3 gmts meteorite) SW and a few Shengshen in hands. Love them all and like @oceaon have mentioned. it all comes down to personal tatse in the tone, color, pattern and financially as well and how much you really want to invest in this. I have sold JJ and Nikz, not because I hate them but I have my own preference and they were both my daily at one point until I got Oascom dials.
I would rank them imo
**Oascom as best and there's a saying you get what you pay for and to ME it's worth it so.
**If i was on a budget and not a crazy meteorite fan.. I would add to my collection with shengshen or SW . But you will need someone to install it for you.. Shengshen if you like the lighter tone and SW if you want a more aggressive and darker tone
** jj has lighter tone and smoother patterns for those that like it from rhat aspect. And nikz more of a yellowish hue color

Last edited:

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I personally had Nikz, JJ before. I now have @Oascom (roman daytona,panda daytona, and 3 gmts meteorite) SW and a few Shengshen in hands. Love them all and like @oceaon have mentioned. it all comes down to personal tatse in the tone, color, pattern and financially as well and how much you really want to invest in this. I have sold JJ and Nikz, not because I hate them but I have my own preference and they were both my daily at one point until I got Oascom dials.
I would rank them imo
**Oascom as best and there's a saying you get what you pay for and to ME it's worth it so.
**If i was on a budget and not a crazy meteorite fan.. I would add to my collection with shengshen or SW . But you will need someone to install it for you.. Shengshen if you like the lighter tone and SW if you want a more aggressive and darker tone
** jj has lighter tone and smoother patterns for those that like it from rhat aspect. And nikz more of a yellowish hue color

I must have missed your photo in the thread. What did you use as a base watch? How did it turn out together?

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
I have a few questions if i am allowed

@Oascom the subdials -subdials print are made by you or cutted and putted from another dial, asking this because i see different subdials at your meteorite dials.

Guys is anyone really had paid 1850usd for a rep dial?

@oceaon brother there is no perfect craftsmanship, is the printing perfect? is the rough cut at the subdial perfect? Is the missing feet perfect?Is the rep coronet perfect ?

Ps. I wouldn't have commented if i hadn't saw the price(1850usd)

Last edited:
Reactions: daytona4me

oceaon

Lost time is never found again.
Banned
27/1/22
US

@Oascom the subdials -subdials print are made by you or cutted and putted from another dial, asking this because i see different subdials at your meteorite dials.

@oceaon brother there is no perfect craftsmanship, is the printing perfect? is the rough cut at the subdial perfect? Is the missing feet perfect?Is the rep coronet perfect ?

Many people will pay any price for a dial if they like it—custom, fantasy, gen, etc. At the end of the day, you buy what you want. As I stated at the beginning of my post, I concentrated on the rock. I didn't go into subdials, print, hands, coronet, etc. I focused solely on meteorite, polish, color, and pattern because that is what most people see when glancing at your wrist. To me, that is the most essential part of the dial. I can say from experience that most folks with Gens don't walk around eyeing things like Daytona print or coronet hole size. Hell, most of the people in my age range can't even see the coronet without bifocals, lol. We (as enthusiasts of this forum) eye things like that because we are used to seeing things in 50x in photos, and we don't want to get called out over something silly, so we are hyper-sensitive to flaws.

But that is the great thing about the forum. You can choose to agree or disagree on the topic. After all, it's an opinion piece and review of the rocks that I had in hand. As clearly stated in the review, the Oascoms meteorite (in my opinion) is the benchmark rather than a practical choice. With that, I stated three less expensive dials as my top 3 being Buff, Shengzen, and Noob.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06

No feet? I missed a couple things on this including the $1850 price tag.

• Haha
Reactions: j21 and oceaon

oceaon

Banned
27/1/22
US
No feet? I missed a couple things on this including the $1850 price tag.
Oascom doesn't do dial feet. As far as I know, he never had dial feet with any of these dials. He has a range of prices on all of his different dials. When I bought them, the prices for the Oz dials were around 1100 each. I have seen some go for 1500 in private sales. I said they could escalate to 1850 a dial due to rarity and the fact that he just doesn't want to do that style of meteorite anymore. But I am sure he can chime in on that as I am just speaking from my experience.

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
Oascom doesn't do dial feet. As far as I know, he never had dial feet with any of these dials
Correct, the back plate and feet can make it difficult to install the subdial hands on 4130 models as it makes the dial quite thick, meaning the subdial hand tubes aren't long enough, which in turn means the subdial hands have no clearance from the dials surface.

Some people don't mind this, others do, it's all down to preference really. It's pretty easy to just use longer tubes for the subdial hands to clear the dial when the dial is fatter than normal, but conversely (please correct me if I'm wrong those of you with more knowledge on this than I) it is entirely possible to install the dial without a back plate and pre installed feet without much complication.

• Love
Reactions: oceaon

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Amazing review. I love the rigor and consistency — something that’s absolutely required for meteorite dials which have a chameleon nature depending on ambient light.

I have a buff meteorite dial in my 116519 and I love it. This is my daily watch which I wear running, skiing, mountaineering, and when I’m working on watches at my bench.

oceaon

Banned
27/1/22
US
Anytime I have spoke to other modders
Amazing review. I love the rigor and consistency — something that’s absolutely required for meteorite dials which have a chameleon nature depending on ambient light.

I have a buff meteorite dial in my 116519 and I love it. This is my daily watch which I wear running, skiing, mountaineering, and when I’m working on watches at my bench.

Now that's beautiful man

Reactions: Davey118