• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The dedicated 5513 appreciation thread.

tk1984

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/9/19
WI, USA

Here is my 5513 worn daily (even to bed) for almost the past year with very little rotation out (rotated out for special occasions mostly). I have no clue what factory it is, just that it is from dhgate that came with a dg2813 movement, a shitty bezel that spun freely (swapped out for a watchman bezel from ebay, but that one got badly damaged and now it has a clark bezel), a shitty crystal (swapped for a clark t19), a VERY weird dial (post-tritium 14060 two-line text with "swiss made" at 6 o'clock instead of the standard tritium designation, but without applied markers and measures 28mm) and lacks drilled lugs/chamfering. It's like they put three generations of submariner into one, in one design aspect or another.

If I could somehow drill the lugs, chamfer the case, and find a 28mm dial with proper text (I would then upgrade to an eta 2451 movement), it could stand as a pretty good looking 5513.

Last edited:
Reactions: C Master

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
OcXqW.jpg

OcTDP.jpg

OcCMJ.jpg

Reactions: KJ2020 and xartan

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
I always look at your lovely piece it's indeed timeless, now the case work is done so well is this really a cartel reshaped?

great pics by the way, cheers

It is indeed a reshaped cartel. I do think it is a masterpiece.

EirikSub

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
21/2/20
I bought one of the last remaining 5517 genuine MilSubs at a Sotheby auction back in 2008 for a sum slightly over 50,000.00 US$. It originally belonged to a special forces badass and is in mint condition. The Sotheby experts appraised it to Mint(A+) condition with a value of 50-100,000£. I have posted pictures of it and they have since gone viral on the internet. It came with a journal kept by the original owner where he describes sharp missions he took part in. My watch actually saw war/real action and the owner has confirmed kills wearing it. He also says the watch saved his life more than once. Of the approximately 1,200 or so MilSubs, only around 180 are still in circulation. That is 180 over all three examples from the 70s. With Special Forces soldiers not famous for taking it easy on their kit, most of the watches have been either lost or destroyed. The day I got this at that price at auction - basically a steal; i could flip i today for 100,000$ easily. Some appraisers say I could get as much as 150-200k for it - was one of the happiest in my life.

However, my holy grail, it is the Daytona 6239, 6241, 6262 (6263, 6264 and 6265 would also suffice). This means I have to sell my MilSub first because my genuine collection consisting of 6 Rolex', Patek Philippe Aquanaut 2019, Audemars Piguet, Omegas, Breitlings and many others +++ (to much to list here in a short comment), and it is not financially viable for me to have both the MilSub and a vintage 6XXX Daytona without selling other pieces from my collection. And I do not wish to do so.

So I am getting rid of one of the last remaining mint condition(A+ graded) MilSubs in the world with a nato strap. It went through a complete overhaul in 2008 before I purchased it at auction at Sothebyes and I have all the paperwork + RSC card for it including this very special journal from the original owner who used it as a sturdy tool part of his kit. It has an amazing history and we all know the Rolex Submariner/MilSub heritage/lineage. It is truly beautiful. A holy grail for many.

I can totally understand why so many of you want replicas of it. I have a replica too which is heavily frankened because then I get to wear it more frequently without a "timebomb" movement that might stop at any moment. The real one is worn only a few times in a year at most and only at very special occasions when I know it is safe and I have security around me.

This is no sales ad, but if anyone is interested in this i am taking offers and can provide much more details if you contact me in a private message. Like i said above: selling it because i want to replace it with a Daytona vintage from the 1960s; with a real panda dial with all black subdials. Not like the new 116500 with a mix of black and white subdials which i do own already. It's nice but it's not a vintage holy grail. I drive superbike; 1000cc. The Isle of Man TT and Norwegian SBK championship. The Daytona Paul Newman/panda has been my holy grail and childhood dream for as long as I can remember!

Last edited:

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
This is no sales ad, but if anyone is interested in this i am taking offers and can prove much more detail if you contact me private message.
Raddave This looks very fishy, i thought you might want to give it a check

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Sounds like a sale ad to me .... :(