• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Best Base Panerai reps vs gens- Davidsen does it again!

flyby75

14/7/07
Thanks Aquaracer for the cool review, and very nice pics.....!

Looks like it's time for an other PAM... :D

opak

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/07
The best review Ive read to date! Made me buy my first Pam.

NotASolder

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/10/07
That's my kind of review.

Great watch, great rep. Accepted for what it is.

Thanks.

isji89

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/10/07
In my opinion, the Crown is the most difficult to do it prefect.
I am looking for a replica that does the Crown better.

Aquaracer

5/1/07
Better crown- for what purpose?? Side by side with a gen- to the naked eye they're practically identical- even magnified onscreen 4:1, 5:1- it's pretty close...

Panerai has made so many models and styles over the past 10 years NOBODY knows.

Buy one and enjoy it.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I think he was talking about the crowns on the Rads, Aqua. Those are pretty noticeably different. Although, there was a post with some pics of DSN's newest 183E and it had a more accurate crown....

I'm loving my gen PAM210. I'll admit that this review was one of the things that pushed me towards that model for my first gen purchase. So, thanks for that!

Aquaracer

5/1/07
I'll beh onest with you- i interchange my gens and reps on a daily basis-

The ONLY way I even know which is which is to look closely at the watch- And they keep time perfectly and seem to be just as waterproof and shock resistant.

Almost all of my A7750 reps have had issues- my other reps have had hands and lume fall off- crowns come loose, bezels vanish etc.

The Pams are bulletproof and really a tremendous value when you consider they are roughly 5-10% the cost of a gen, and are really the same exact watch with the same movement.

mtnbike

Horology Curious
26/6/07
You got me. These look awesome. I am going to place an order for my first PAM this weekend.

jallaballa

Known Member
23/6/07
Is there any way to swap a dial from a non-davidsen with a davidsen? I've heard davidsens are bigger? Just to clearify, I have a non-davidsen watch and want a davidsen dial, or something that is evenly good.

Thsnks, Peter

Tag Man

Horology Curious
9/1/07
What a great review! I bought/received the DSN Ultimate 112 a few weeks ago and it is awsome!!!! I love this watch, and can't stop wearing it. Get one for yourself!

zarkon

Known Member
23/3/07
After all these post I thing there is nothing to say anymore. JUUUUSTT PERFECT

Blackwind

Horology Curious
27/12/07
In all my research over the past months seeking the perfect Homage or Rep based on a Panerai...that HAS the be the best darn review...and the most useful I have seen YET. Thanks a billion!!

I have been in communication with Davidsen for the past 24 hours going over a possible purchase and was hesitant. This has surely assisted in helping make up my mind. Thanks again!!

bigbadbrad

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/06
-

Tops! Very rational, precise and some great pics to boot. I'm contemplating buying a gen 112 but when I read something like this I question the cost -vs- benefit.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
For PAm's DSN is the way to go. Great price for good service. Value as well, he included 2 very good quality straps in your order, your choice of color.

I have thought aabout a gen, but with such a good rep that has the SAME movement as a gen. Why bother??? It's all in a name.

With reps this good, the only one that will know is you and DSN.The problem is that "I" know and I still want the real deal just for that reason. I plan to round out the edges on my 111H case to get the shape just like the gen (There are slight differences in the milling around the lugs) The crown is spot on, the dial...yea could be better but who could see that unless it's an expert or an AD and you stop for "a closer look".

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
bigbadbrad said:
-

Tops! Very rational, precise and some great pics to boot. I'm contemplating buying a gen 112 but when I read something like this I question the cost -vs- benefit.

i have the gen and had the rep.

gen:
+ u know that it's gen and u wear it with pride. :)
+ much better quality and QC.
+ no blue tint on the crystal distracting you, the gens have straw coloured tint that is not obvious.
+ better CG construction, looks better, feels better, functions a whole lot better.
+ much better crown, nt just looks, functionally the gen crown feels so much better!
+ movement is awesome, starts beating on the first wind of the crown, amazing.
- expensive
- u can't mod it urself!
- servicing will cost more than servicing a rep.

other pts to note:
. they both have the same "feel", ie. high quality product made w the best materials. tho the gen feels better, similar to holding a solid piece of rock vs an item comprising of smaller parts.
. there's something abt the dsn that makes me wanna do crazy things with it, like skating w it, use it as a knucklebuster, etc. it's built like a tank for a fraction of the price of the gen.

i'd say that there's nothing like a gen if ur heart can justify it's price even tho ur head can't. the dsn makes a really good beater-replacemet for the gen article.

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
I cannot believe I missed this superb review and gen comparison. Kudos to you Aquaracer, a stellar review. You hit the nail with
Davidsen and his 50% chance of something going askew, but as you stated, he is more than honest and responds to all issues
timely and always with positive results. If there were no QC issues with the fellow, his biz would triple, but than so would his prices :shock:

@ BB Brad, as you own both, how do you feel about the lugs on the rep compared to the gen? I know on the 232, (not from DVS) it was discouraging.

madstal

Banned
18/1/08
Thanks MOD for the great review.
Because of it I purchased my first 112 Ultimate from DSN.

I guess he owes you a discount your next order, for all this business he is druming up! :lol: