• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

Erect

Aroused By Anything Vintage
Supporter
Certified
9/2/24
EU
Original hands on a 1016 have a minute hand that reaches the chapter ring (13 mm) and the hour hand is short (~7.5 mm, IIRC). Service hands have a 12 mm minute hand and ~8.5 mm hour hand. The hour hand length is harder to notice, but after a while you can tell because typically hand sets are all original or all service, so the all original ones have a greater contrast in length between the minute and hour hands (plus you can tell by checking if the minute hand reaches the chapter ring) vs. service hands which have less disparity in length.
Thanks for this useful information. Do you know of any source for the hour hand size? I can indeed confirm that minute and seconds marker for 6610 should be 13mm, not sure about hour size.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Not sure what is up with their way of measuring... "13mm not from center hole" so then from where? lol

The english on Raffles site is shaky at best.
The « not » is probably a typo

One of us on this thread bought the longer hands set and posted a build. it looked awesome. Now that you say it, I think I have a set in my parts drawer with the Cartier 1016 I need to build 🤦

Reactions: 369mafia and Erect

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
Thanks for this useful information. Do you know of any source for the hour hand size? I can indeed confirm that minute and seconds marker for 6610 should be 13mm, not sure about hour size.

I don't have a source for that. Both Rolex Haven (where you got the image showing minute and seconds hand length) and Explorer1016.com both are silent on the length of hour hands, focusing on flat vs. curved and 13 mm vs. shorter (12.5 mm or 12 mm). Although, on Rolex Haven, if you go into the Hands page and click on the Small Crowns tab of the images, you will see they show shorter and longer hour hands. If you look at the Gallery tab you can see that other aspects of the shape of the hands changed over time. I suspect Rolex used more than one supplier and there were minor differences between batches, so length is not even consistent. I've used the Ruler tool in Photoshop to measure lengths of hour hands, comparing them to 13 mm minute hands on different gen samples, and had some variation.

The Raffles set with the longer minute and seconds hands has a slightly shorter hour hand as well, IIRC.

Reactions: Erect

Erect

Supporter
Certified
9/2/24
EU
Now that you say it, I think I have a set in my parts drawer with the Cartier 1016 I need to build 🤦
Ah nice! If you can get the ruler out sometime… 😂

I don't have a source for that. Both Rolex Haven (where you got the image showing minute and seconds hand length) and Explorer1016.com both are silent on the length of hour hands, focusing on flat vs. curved and 13 mm vs. shorter (12.5 mm or 12 mm). Although, on Rolex Haven, if you go into the Hands page and click on the Small Crowns tab of the images, you will see they show shorter and longer hour hands. If you look at the Gallery tab you can see that other aspects of the shape of the hands changed over time. I suspect Rolex used more than one supplier and there were minor differences between batches, so length is not even consistent. I've used the Ruler tool in Photoshop to measure lengths of hour hands, comparing them to 13 mm minute hands on different gen samples, and had some variation.

The Raffles set with the longer minute and seconds hands has a slightly shorter hour hand as well, IIRC.
Yep makes perfect sense… so what can we conclude to? 😆 Id mix and match if necessary.

Also, are all the parts sites ran by the same guy?

Ruby (vintagepart) replies with “Ken”
Rafflesdials replied with “Ken”
TC… “Ken”

• Haha
Reactions: pullthat92

1675lover

23/7/22
Ah nice! If you can get the ruler out sometime… 😂

Yep makes perfect sense… so what can we conclude to? 😆 Id mix and match if necessary.

Also, are all the parts sites ran by the same guy?

Ruby (vintagepart) replies with “Ken”
Rafflesdials replied with “Ken”
TC… “Ken”
u forgot rafflestime.

Erect

Supporter
Certified
9/2/24
EU
They are the same family
Brothers or son/father I think
What about Ruby? It's also a Ken.

Our little game of Cluedo aside, could anyone steer me in the right direction for a good 2824 movement + adapter for raffles 1016 case?
There's been a lot of posts about ETA clones, but none really supply links that still work. Alix is flooded with movements, but which ones are considered good/reliable?

EDIT: Is this the correct adapter? https://www.helenarou.com/eta-adapter-for-genuine-or-clone-rolex-5512-5515512551355141680.html

Last edited:

1675lover

23/7/22
u dont need an adapter.
the case comes with 2824 tabs and screws.
the 2824 drops right in and holds in place with the tabs and screws

if u use a NH movement it drops right in without any spacers or adapters required.

Erect

Supporter
Certified
9/2/24
EU
Alright thanks! Is it the Vietnam case that needs an adapter then?

Ladidadi

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
20/1/23
USA
I have the watches in hand, just trying to find a reasonably priced oysterquartz dial...or, a cheap DJ dial that I can remove "Oyster Perpetual" from and replace it with "Oysterquartz" on a waterslide decal.
So no breakthrough, but the project is in queue, waiting for the last piece to fall into place.
checking in on this - how's the project going?

Erect

Supporter
Certified
9/2/24
EU

I've been browsing around, and found a seller who may have 7.5mm hour hand from hole to tip. But he claims his total length is 9.1mm. When I use a measuring tool online from gen pics, I get around 8.5 - 8,7mm total length tops - but this is obviously hard to measure and not accurate. Any input on this?

EDIT: Might be on to something here

Total length of 9.1mm may very well be correct!

Last edited:

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
I've been browsing around, and found a seller who may have 7.5mm hour hand from hole to tip. But he claims his total length is 9.1mm. When I use a measuring tool online from gen pics, I get around 8.5 - 8,7mm total length tops - but this is obviously hard to measure and not accurate. Any input on this?

Hmm, I'm not sure. The length (7.5 mm) should be measured from the center of the hole to the tip. So from the center of the hole to the base would be about 1.6 mm, meaning the base is 3.2 mm across. That seems a bit large. If you are measuring 8.7 mm tops, then it is smaller and it could be correct.

But to be fair, I wouldn't sweat a few tenths of a mm. Paired with 13 mm minute and second hands it will look short enough and be very hard to distinguish. Again, I suspect gen short hour hands were not consistent in length and varied by a tenth of a mm here or there. So go for the 7.5 mm hour hand, as long as it is flat!

Reactions: 369mafia

Erect

Supporter
Certified
9/2/24
EU
Hmm, I'm not sure. The length (7.5 mm) should be measured from the center of the hole to the tip. So from the center of the hole to the base would be about 1.6 mm, meaning the base is 3.2 mm across. That seems a bit large. If you are measuring 8.7 mm tops, then it is smaller and it could be correct.

But to be fair, I wouldn't sweat a few tenths of a mm. Paired with 13 mm minute and second hands it will look short enough and be very hard to distinguish. Again, I suspect gen short hour hands were not consistent in length and varied by a tenth of a mm here or there. So go for the 7.5 mm hour hand, as long as it is flat!
Do you know of any of the common parts sellers that have 7.5mm hole to tip hour hands? All I can find is 8mm or larger.