• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TC or Sean case for a Franken 16610?

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
Sean takes the 3135 or eta 2892-a2
2824 also possible but better not
because of stem height. Only the Sean case is 100% spot on in terms of crown height with the Gen.
Since it does not make any sense to put a gen movement in a fake case, the only choice is to put a 3135 clone that has to be bought together with a full watch, this movement, as I know it, is still not available as a spare part.

Sent.

Not entirely true.
I have a case that's perfect with crown height as I've dropped a gen 3035 mvt and dial in it...and it's neither a TC or a sean case :)

YES..It is more compared to the gen than anything you know
Better than "almost" anything I've ever seen :)

Why is it that on the Sean site it says his case can take a 3035 and a 3135 :s which one does it fit, it can't fit both. Looks like I might sell my TC then!
Fitting a 3135 into a case designed for a 3035 is possible.
But a 3035 will "not" fit a case designed for a 3135.
The 3035 is a thicker mvt. (hence the shallower rehaut and deeper case back.

There was a similar build over at RWG

A 3135 is bucks, like 1500-2000. Ridiculous to fork down that much money and it is still a rep. You rbuild will cost 3000+. Keep it real, my franken is at 1000 cost and that is nucking futs if you think about it but come on, who is going to pull your crown and wind your watch.

If you have your heart set on that project, I would use a sean case in all honesty.

BTW to get your list has
aftermarket crystal retainer, bezel spring, click spring

If you bought a v4, it came with a bezel and crystal retainer etc
A gen bezel ring will not fit a TC retaining ring without modding the retaining ring.
At least mine doesn't.

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
If not more! Would be perfect if the TC fit a 3035! :) great happy medium lol!

Yup.....and that's precisely why I went for the 16800 build.
Gen 3035's are much more reasonably priced :)

That and the fact that I've fallen in love with the looks of the matte finish dial and larger date with open 6's and 9's .

I've got a TC with gen crystal, bezel assembly, crown and tube. You are NOT going to be disappointed with the TC I assure you :)

When they perfect the SA3135, I'll drop it with the gen dial in, install the v2 DWO and AR'd version crystal at that time, fit the v3 Bracelet and call it a day where the 16610 is concerned.

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
A gen bezel ring will not fit a TC retaining ring without modding the retaining ring.
At least mine doesn't.

Then im glad I didnt buy a mint condition authentic bezel with a silver & black insert, both genuine for $225 last night on ebay, I would have had to mod my TC......I still would have bought it to sell it, unbelievable deal but the guy didnt accept returns just in case it wasnt genuine.

It sure did look genuine tho........

woof*

Renowned Member
25/12/10
To Dan guy:
Let me save you a little heartache. Bezels and retaining rings are sort of mated pairs. Doesn't matter if it's TC, Wm9, WSO or genuine Rolex. Odds are if you have one brand bezel it's not going to fit another retainer...without work anyway and often not well. You have a genuine bezel...you need a genuine retaining ring. I'm not saying it cannot be done, as sometimes with some fitting it works but you are best off using a mated pair.

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
To Dan guy:
Let me save you a little heartache. Bezels and retaining rings are sort of mated pairs. Doesn't matter if it's TC, Wm9, WSO or genuine Rolex. Odds are if you have one brand bezel it's not going to fit another retainer...without work anyway and often not well. You have a genuine bezel...you need a genuine retaining ring. I'm not saying it cannot be done, as sometimes with some fitting it works but you are best off using a mated pair.
Indeed :)

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Dan--a few things, noob to noob. First, I'm with you on wanting to do one build and do it right. Or at least I was, but spend a couple weeks on this forum and you'll realize how much more fun you're going to have making this a long-running hobby, and interacting with the kind of guys who have provided so many answers in this thread already. With that in mind, I'd suggest this: get any gen construction case, whether Sean, TC, or Phong from J&W, a gen construction option for someone with what I presume is a flexible budget. From there, replace the rep parts with gen (or higher quality rep) over time.

As for the case comparison, I'm still not convinced the Sean is any better than the other two (I have a Sean, and if TC ever emails me back I'll get the ball rolling on an order so I can compare), and the Phone has lug holes, which I don't think any other off-the-shelf 16610 reps do. As far as I can tell, everyone who has compared the Sean favorably to the TC has done so without a specific point of departure between the two, other than bezel construction--and that's subjective: without the rehaut engraving, both are presumably reps of an older model that shouldn't have deep bezel teeth anyway.

As for movements: When I got this Sean case build I intended to replace the 2824 supported by one of fatmatt's rings mentioned below (he sold me the watch), but now that I'm wearing the watch, I don't see much reason to until a better sa3135 is out. This one is a little fast, but so smooth it's stupid. If you try living with a quality, non-OEM movement for a while, a refined sa3135 will be available or in the works.

I had a sean case and sold it to fidleh007 here and he may still have it, not sure he has utilized it. WHen I ordered my case abour 4 months ago, he told me he had about 8 left with no more coming, he is a nice guy. BTW it comes with a dial and if you superlume that dial it is a real nice dial. Meant for 3135.

It does not come with a movement ring to use a 2824 on it. I have a custom movement ring from fatmatt (who custom made a few rings). If you want to use a 2824 while waiting for a 3135 etc, PM me for the ring. No one has them really.

ALso, my gen insert slipped right into my TC bezel

Dan_189

Known Member
1/7/12
So I just emailed Sean and he said his case can take a 3035 and 3135?? Any thoughts? How can it take both?

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
So I just emailed Sean and he said his case can take a 3035 and 3135?? Any thoughts? How can it take both?

That's an interesting question.
A 3135 could fit 3035 case....but a 3035 shouldn't be able to fit a 3135 case.
I'd be curious to here from the pro's on that one.

Dan_189

Known Member
1/7/12
I've ordered a Sean case so if anyone needs any measurments when it arrives let me know

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
I don't know about the 3035 fit, but a 2824-H4 has been put in a Sean case before. the 3135 was the replacement for the 3035, wasn't it? Why would they change the external dimensions of the movement?

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
But "will" a Sean case accept both the 3035 and 3135 mvts ??

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
Can anyone confirm that the Sean case can accept both gen 3035 and 3135 mvts ??

Dan_189

Known Member
1/7/12
I emailed him the same question and he said "many customer use 3035 movement no problems"

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
Thanks for making the inquiry guys.
Please do tell when he responds Rup. :)