• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TC or Sean case for a Franken 16610?

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Hello all,
I'm a noob but contemplating starting strong with a franken-16610. If the cost difference weren't a factor, would you start with a TC or an ETASwiss/Sean case--and why?

After a couple weeks of reading I have seen many pro-Sean opinions, but not a definitive comparison of the two. I gather the engraving, bezel teeth, and crown height are better on the Sean, but have yet to see a side-by-side of all these attributes. It seems like pics of the TC are readily available, but not so with the Sean case. Especially since the crown height on the TC is indistinguishable from Gen to my (admittedly untrained) eye, I'm wondering if the Sean case hype is just that--hype.

I look forward to hearing from the experts!

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Both the Sean case and the TC take the 2824 movement and have the same high crown height. The Sean case can take a gen 3135 movement that I don't think the TC can. The new V3 bracelet for the TC may be an edge over the Sean case, but the bezel teeth on the Sean case are deeper. It's a trade off really. Of course the real question is better value for your money. Value I would say is to the TC, overall accuracy probably to the Sean case.

jared530

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/12
Im having trouble locating TC's website. Can anyone help me out?

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
I've seen the Sean case several times on this site & it is very well made but IMO, the TC cg's are better & gen like compared to the Sean case. Within several months, TC will have the "perfect bezel" & a gen like insert which will put the TC sub in the better than any other sub out there category.

IMO, its already there.........if you want a better bezel, you can buy a Clark's bezel that take gen inserts as well. Cg's are very important when picking a casing.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Ruprekt--Thanks for the fast response! The TC can indeed take the 3135; see TC's post here.

I've seen a side-by-side of the bezel and agree with you there, but beyond that I'm not sure why a lot of RWIers are more confident in the Sean...

dpark1234

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/9/11
I've seen the Sean case several times on this site & it is very well made but IMO, the TC cg's are better & gen like compared to the Sean case. Within several months, TC will have the "perfect bezel" & a gen like insert which will put the TC sub in the better than any other sub out there category.

IMO, its already there.........if you want a better bezel, you can buy a Clark's bezel that take gen inserts as well. Cg's are very important when picking a casing.

If you have seen the Sean's case in person, your opinion would significantly change in regards to the crown guards.

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
My Sean case CG's.

4bac0d5f-f966-3456.jpg

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
Ruprekt, can you show us another view.......cant tell from this picture but the CG's seem a bit too long.

Shadow88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/10
My .02- if TC can get the people who make the case to get the engraving right, it would be a near-perfect case. The crown guards are fantastic, and the case can take a 3135 no problem.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
The engraving is one of the few details I think has not been documented compared to gen or the Sean in as much depth as others, e.g. bezel teeth and CGs.

Anyone (TC included) have pics of the rehaut engraving on the current TC along with either gen or ETASwiss/Sean case?

My .02- if TC can get the people who make the case to get the engraving right, it would be a near-perfect case. The crown guards are fantastic, and the case can take a 3135 no problem.

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
The engraving is one of the few details I think has not been documented compared to gen or the Sean in as much depth as others, e.g. bezel teeth and CGs.

Anyone (TC included) have pics of the rehaut engraving on the current TC along with either gen or ETASwiss/Sean case?

Good question on the rehaut engraving, would also like to see a side by side comparison. Of course most people don't like the engraving & get it shaved off.

I for one never liked it even on my gen GMT.

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Fortunately my Sean case has no rehaut engraving. The only watch I've seen that's really close is the new 42 mm Explorer 2. Neither the Sean or TC are close at all. Why they can't get this right is beyond me.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Very nice. What between-lug serial is your ETA/Sean? Is it consistent with any non-engraved series?

On another note, it might be moot as TC is out of the 16610 version IV. Anyone with experience ordering a TC that's "sold out" know if that means waiting until an entirely new model (I'm not a fan of the LV now available) or will he restock the parts? I'm inclined to oder a whole one as a base rather than start with just the mid case.

Fortunately my Sean case has no rehaut engraving. The only watch I've seen that's really close is the new 42 mm Explorer 2. Neither the Sean or TC are close at all. Why they can't get this right is beyond me.

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
Very nice. What between-lug serial is your ETA/Sean? Is it consistent with any non-engraved series?

On another note, it might be moot as TC is out of the 16610 version IV. Anyone with experience ordering a TC that's "sold out" know if that means waiting until an entirely new model (I'm not a fan of the LV now available) or will he restock the parts? I'm inclined to oder a whole one as a base rather than start with just the mid case.

Where did you hear he was out of the 16610 V4? People are ordering them every day..........

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
I'm going off TC's website. Again I don't know if that means the non-LV is gone for good, or it's just a matter of waiting until more regular dial/hand sets are in (TC mentions different times for watches in stock vs. not in stock elsewhere on the site), or if "sold out" means something more indefinite.

TC LV Sub Type II, $520

TC LV Sub Type I, $620

TC Submariner 16610 V-series (version IV), $510 Sold Out

Where did you hear he was out of the 16610 V4? People are ordering them every day..........

woof*

Renowned Member
25/12/10
Talk to TC to find out what he has available. Don't just trust the statements on the site.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Email sent 4 days ago--and especially with new versions, I imagine that his inbox is always pretty full, so I'll wait a few more before following up!

Talk to TC to find out what he has available. Don't just trust the statements on the site.

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
Email sent 4 days ago--and especially with new versions, I imagine that his inbox is always pretty full, so I'll wait a few more before following up!

Yeah man, he must be really busy, a lot of people have been saying g the same as you.

Dan_189

Known Member
1/7/12
So bezels aside who has the most accurate case to Gen TC or Sean? Will a Sean take a 3135?