• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Silencing the Miyota rotor on AP JF 15400

RawClassic

Horology Curious
14/3/16
Hey OP are you planning on updating the pics? I would appreciate it if you do :) My 15400 JF v2J is way too loud and would prefer doing it myself and save a few bucks

Hectormabr

Known Member
23/4/17
View attachment 88991 Thank you @rypho1 and @mermayloo. I ended up removing the rotor, was feeing adventurous lol. It was a cool little project. The rotor is now completely silent, it definitely changes the feel on the timepiece. I'll end up selling this V2J eventually but for now I'm loving it.

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
So the Silicone grease worked better to silence the rotor them oil?
I used to use oil and now use watch grease. It may not allow the watch to charge as well as before but I'd rather add an occasional turn of the crown than the awful spinning sound. I also add a dash to the bottom edge of rotor blade where it potentially touches the movement part that sticks up (but is non functional). Yep - don't try this at home I know but it works perfectly. Th oil makes free spin quieter but does nothing to control free spinning which inherently still makes a sound and vibration.

Reactions: stoyania

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
What kind of grease did you use on it @JackJ1980 and in which quantity pls ? I have rose grease for mechanism, but i don't know if i can use it or if another grease is better

991Turbo

14/6/16
I was unable to silence my rotor just by putting grease in the two holes. I personally had to get the whole rotor off to grease the bearing assembly underneath. Worked instantly. Once you get those two little screws off, you then carefully pry along the edges of the circle metal piece and it will pop off to reveal the three real rotor screws underneath. Those came out easy. Getting that decorative circle off was the most difficult. Just take your time not to scratch the rotor or dent it. It will eventually pop off.

Reactions: vcappp

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
24/7/11
Why dont you guys use proper watch oil. Mobius you can pick up online. I forgot the exact type though and its fairly cheap and one tiny bottle will last you forever.

flax

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/7/07
I was unable to silence my rotor just by putting grease in the two holes. I personally had to get the whole rotor off to grease the bearing assembly underneath. Worked instantly. Once you get those two little screws off, you then carefully pry along the edges of the circle metal piece and it will pop off to reveal the three real rotor screws underneath. Those came out easy. Getting that decorative circle off was the most difficult. Just take your time not to scratch the rotor or dent it. It will eventually pop off.

You are right my friend. It is neccesary to remove whole rotor from movement. After proper oiling is my rotor working like a charm. It starts rotating only with blowing on it. :)

01_ap_strojek_s_rotorem.jpg

02_ap_strojek.jpg

03_ap_rotor.jpg

04_ap_olej.jpg

qube99

Horology Curious
26/11/18
The short version is.....
Take off the back
Remove the rotor - looks like just a press fit
Drops of oil in the 'groove' between the gears and the 3 screws
Press fit the rotor back on
Close up the back
Do I have that right? Any other place to oil?

I'm looking to have a local watchmaker do this, so want to give him the quick and dirty version. I know he'll have the right tools and oil for the job.

phil231991

Known Member
21/2/19
hi guys , will it be the same process on a 15202 miyota ?? its kind of noisy and sticky .

VCMUAD.jpg