• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SH4131 VS. Gen4131 disassembled comparison pictures

engbanna1

Gens are replicas of first prototypes
29/5/23
KSA
There is no confirmation or even a rumor that Dandong is releasing a 4131.....

And, with the replica game, there are no promises for the future.

Anyways, I don't mind the SH4131 if it's reliable. I care more about the aesthetics. Rep movement is rep movement lol.
Lol, to me aesthetics is important in the inside as much as in the outsides, to me at least lol

Reaps

Learning something new everyday....
25/9/22
Lol, to me aesthetics is important in the inside as much as in the outsides, to me at least lol
Fair enough. Remeber you are paying 1-5% of what gen costs. Replicas will never be gen, even though what has been done for the price for replicas is amazing. I think expectations must be managed.

The last 20% of finishing and details can often cost more than the first 80% of manufacturing.

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi all, apologies if this has been explained but it can’t get through my thick head, but the photos Ctime provided show the parts being very close to the gen. Why is everyone saying it’s not a true rep movement?

Thanks.

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hi all, apologies if this has been explained but it can’t get through my thick head, but the photos Ctime provided show the parts being very close to the gen. Why is everyone saying it’s not a true rep movement?

Thanks.
Because it isnt. Look at the balance wheel for example.

brian042008

Do not accept unsolicited offers
27/1/16
Because it isnt. Look at the balance wheel for example.
Yes I’ve looked at the balance wheel, ok on the OG has weights attached. But I’ve done mods before. The SH 4131 is interchangeable with OG parts. One balance wheel can be exchanged and parts can be put with OG parts is obvious. It can be modded without that much difficulty to be free sprung.

Reactions: superturbine

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Yes I’ve looked at the balance wheel, ok on the OG has weights attached. But I’ve done mods before. The SH 4131 is interchangeable with OG parts. One balance wheel can be exchanged and parts can be put with OG parts is obvious. It can be modded without that much difficulty to be free sprung.
Ok nice to know

brian042008

27/1/16
For the escape wheel the center is most important to fit original movement part wheel pattern itself means nothing. Pallet fork angle at bottom of feet match OG part, meaning less of a headache to replace. As much as people say not true clone I get it, but it’s 96-98% there already. Slight mod to two of the parts. Balance bridge is easy to swap. https://clickpix.org/image/IMG-3078.KKFNxv

brian042008

27/1/16
Impressed that they slimmed down to OG movement size and not old 4130 size. Finishing definitely needs help. Screw placement as well

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
engravings need improvement as well, on top of the aforementioned issues.
BUT ... they're always gonna cut corners making "clone-movements" !!

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
But yes, you are right. nice movement anyways.
With some small exceptions it’s still an accurate clone. A long way from the old SA3135 movements. I’m impressed that almost all the parts are accurately replicated.

I tried to bring order to the definitions of what a “clone” movement is in my comprehensive guide… but no sooner than the ink was dry on my definitions the SH4131 was released and it refuses to conform to my categories.

For reference:

• "True Clone" is a movement that's >99% part interchangeable with gen. e.g. DD4130, DD3285, VS3235, or VS3135
  • "Design Clone" is a movement that follows the design of the gen movement very closely but generally isn't compatible with gen parts. e.g. The "clone" patek 324SC and 240 movements, the AP 4302 and 3120 movements, or the JLC 825 movement.
  • "Homage Clone" a movement that follows the design language of the gen and looks similar at first glance, but is actually something different. e.g. VR3235 and VSF Omega movements.
  • "Decorated" a movement that isn't a clone but rather is a slightly modified off the shelf movement with thin decoration plates on top of it so that it looks like something that it's not. e.g. most decorated Miyota 9015 / ETA 7750 / ETA 2824 found in reps.
The SH4131 is mostly a “true clone” — of the ~200 parts that make up the movement, it appears that the pallet fork and escape wheel are not gen spec. (It seems likely to me that the balance complete of the rep is also not gen spec given the difference in pallet fork geometry). So that’s 2 or 3 out of 200 parts that aren’t gen spec which means 98.5% of parts are likely Gen spec which falls outside of my definition of “true clone”. But obviously this is an outstanding effort in terms of movement replication.

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
I tried to bring order to the definitions of what a “clone” movement is in my comprehensive guide… but no sooner than the ink was dry on my definitions the SH4131 was released and it refuses to conform to my categories.

For reference:

• "True Clone" is a movement that's >99% part interchangeable with gen. e.g. DD4130, DD3285, VS3235, or VS3135
  • "Design Clone" is a movement that follows the design of the gen movement very closely but generally isn't compatible with gen parts. e.g. The "clone" patek 324SC and 240 movements, the AP 4302 and 3120 movements, or the JLC 825 movement.
  • "Homage Clone" a movement that follows the design language of the gen and looks similar at first glance, but is actually something different. e.g. VR3235 and VSF Omega movements.
  • "Decorated" a movement that isn't a clone but rather is a slightly modified off the shelf movement with thin decoration plates on top of it so that it looks like something that it's not. e.g. most decorated Miyota 9015 / ETA 7750 / ETA 2824 found in reps.
The SH4131 is mostly a “true clone” — of the ~200 parts that make up the movement, it appears that the pallet fork and escape wheel are not gen spec. (It seems likely to me that the balance complete of the rep is also not gen spec given the difference in pallet fork geometry). So that’s 2 or 3 out of 200 parts that aren’t gen spec which means 98.5% of parts are likely Gen spec which falls outside of my definition of “true clone”. But obviously this is an outstanding effort in terms of movement replication.
I couldn’t agree more with you. Looking at the side by side reviews I’m astonished how close they’ve come with such a small window.

MYHABIT89

Known Member
8/3/22
Not a watch maker or expert as movemen.from these details comparison i can tell Sh4131 will be a reliable movemen.those parts are identical

MYHABIT89

Known Member
8/3/22
There is no confirmation or even a rumor that Dandong is releasing a 4131.....

And, with the replica game, there are no promises for the future.

Anyways, I don't mind the SH4131 if it's reliable. I care more about the aesthetics. Rep movement is rep movement lol.
total agreed with you.with those identical parts i think sh4131 will be reliable movement.when it down just get it service will be last long again.U spend more money on luxury car doesn’t mean it last.

Dexxter

Getting To Know The Place
21/3/24
ATM the SH4131 works well for me. But I had strange clicking noises while screwing down the crown. Anybody else had that?