• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

selling fakes on ebay...how to do it sucessfully

Status
Not open for further replies.

w_snipes

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/12/09
Obviously there is a big market for fakes on ebay and people willing to part good money for replicas.

I know its illegal as per ebays policy but does anyone know of any tricky wording that gets the message across and still complies? I have sold a few with the classic 'no box or paperwork' and always informed the bidders that its not the real deal (via private message) and got good feedback, yet recently ebay has been cancelling my bids and blocking my accounts.

Any advise or do you just think ebay just isnt the place....I assume some just think its immoral (but i dont see the problem).

appreciate your thoughts

VagueByDesign

19/10/09
How have you been listing them? I was thinking about this the other day actually. It is estimated that over 35% of watches sold on ebay are fakes, so clearly people are getting them through the cracks. What if you listed it as 'novelty Rolex watch' and made it clear in the posting that the watch is not a genuine Rolex, but was designed as a joke to fool your friends? I was thinking about listing one that way and seeing how long it lasted.

Technically you would be selling something that violates US Trademark Laws, so even selling it as a novelty watch wouldn't work if it bore the logo and trademarks of the original manufacturer. I've seen clones of things like Franck Muller's Crazy Hours that are labled as another manufacturer altogether, but everything other than the logo looked the same. I think it would be really hard to get away with it if you are sporting stolen trademarks on the watches.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Ocd, what you are witnessing here is an admin who is very concerned that this is actually real. So I am going to ban his account right away. I will explain in further detail in a moment.

w_snipes

Banned
17/12/09
I just listed them in the standard way but mentioned no box and receipt so can not guarantee authenticity. Then during the end of the auction i contact the winning bidder and clarify that the watch is a good replica. Most are ok and assume this from the start.

The only party with any issue has been ebay unfortunately.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I know its illegal as per ebays policy but does anyone know of any tricky wording that gets the message across and still complies? I have sold a few with the classic 'no box or paperwork'

Well Snipes. Based on your posts it was pretty clear what your intentions were. But this one is over the top. You don't need to be here anymore.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Folks, just so you know I am not a rogue admin abusing power here, I banned this user straight out. I think we owe it to the community of Ebay to find these watches and report them. Anybody that doesn't see a problem with selling fakes on Ebay is obviously not of our thinking. Rep as Gen or Rep as Rep but on ebay is a no-no. We don't need him associated with us either.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Good grief! Absolutely no common sense, morals, or decency. WTF are these people thinking. Being a thief is one thing, but trying to justify it as everybody does is it, it ridiculous.

Good riddance....

docdoowop

Banned
10/5/06
Funny what the concencus is ....

I remember back about 5 or six years ago, Tony (who is an approved dealer on one of the rep fora) selling fakes on Ebay under the username JESUS_WATCH and he kept getting banned and kept coming back with other Ebay names....

And now, this "immoral" person is selling us reps.

Funny

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
What a jerk the OP is... thanks for shutting him up.

IMHO there is a difference in selling things to an uneducated audience on ebay or here in the fora where 99,9% of the people know what it is about.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08

I remember back about 5 or six years ago, Tony (who is an approved dealer on one of the rep fora) selling fakes on Ebay under the username JESUS_WATCH and he kept getting banned and kept coming back with other Ebay names....

Funny

Well, there's a place for everything. eBay is not the place for reps. It's not a moral argument.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Obviously I don't have a problem with the selling of fakes, or I wouldn't be here. It's against ebay's policy though and that's enough to keep me away from it.

Now, representing a rep as a gen on ebay or ANYWHERE crosses ALL the lines.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06

Funny

The point is, this guy was selling them as genuine watches (I don't believe that "I told them they were fake via email after they won" crap for a second).

You're telling me that people out there were OK with paying normal 2nd hand prices of gen watches for "good replicas"? Sorry, I'm not buying... :nah:

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
The point is, this guy was selling them as genuine watches (I don't believe that "I told them they were fake via email after they won" crap for a second).

You're telling me that people out there were OK with paying normal 2nd hand prices of gen watches for "good replicas"? Sorry, I'm not buying... :nah:

I concur...

teamroper24

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/5/09
Thanks Guys for keeping RWI the place to be. Scammers are not needed and pulling that S*** on ebay is so not cool.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Think we've got everyone on the same page here. Good job, R2. :)

Let's move on, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.