• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWI Golf League. Check in here fellow golfers!

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
played on Saturday matchplay with the team, tee time at 1 pm and rain and wind. It was
raining 4 hours cats and dogs, temp was around 50 degr and my score was around 98.
Then I played same course yesterday morning with my wife and some friends, sun was out and temp was 61 degr and the result was 86.

kitersoze

26/11/08
great thread. especially liked carlsbad's story abt payne stewart.

i remember some 10 yrs ago, on a trip to hawaii w/ some of my bro's, we had a week of some of the most unforgettable golf i've ever had. when we were on kauai, we played the magnificent princeville course for the first time, one of the most beautiful courses i've ever seen, let alone played on. for much of the course, you play along and 300 ft. above the pacific ocean in tropical paradise. it's so breath-taking you almost forget, or at least don't mind, just how tough this course is from the blue or black tees. we played alot back then, n our games were as good as they were gonna get (i consistently shot very low 80's, sometimes high 70's). i've never recalled being on another course where i had to make as many difficult decisions regarding club, shot type, and target selection throughout a round, hole after hole, shot after shot. there was always something daring you to go around it, or over it, for a better attack angle on the next shot. if you laid up, you had to face small target areas from much greater distances. there were lava rock hazards, palm tree hazards, bush hazards, tall grass issues, water, sand, hula dancer hazards, etc., undulating fairway despressions, massively sloping fairway sections, it was just unreal. i've never been so challenged on a course before, maybe bcz it felt like the course was within reach, within my hands to hit or miss. anyways, i walked out of there w/ a 92, likely the worst score i posted that year, n yet i've never felt better about a round.

later when we were on maui, we played the kapalua plantation course (where the PGA plays the MB championship every year). par 73, 7411 yard monster of a course. we started playin' from the championship tees, black i think (the tournament tees are even further). some 450-500y par 4's, some 550-650y par 5's. anyways, it was just ludicrous; we were never really in it. from the black tees, you mostly cannot see your landing area from the tee. there's literally a stick in the ground on the crest of the hill, showing you where you should aim your drive (often fairways would slant off to the left of right; so you rarely drove straight down a line). once you drive it, the ball goes over the crest, you cannot see your ball, you cannot see it land. in other words, you better be damn accurate over the tee. if you don't hit it straight over the stick onto an imagined section of the fairway, there's a narrow strip of intermediate rough on the sides for you to land on, and then tall grass on either side, goodnite. if you have a fade or a draw, you better know what exactly you're doin', if you slice or hook it, it's gone. i usually hit dead straight, my buddy a slight fade. we were laughin' our asses off, because we didn't even make it through the front nine w/ two 3-ball sleeves. on like hole 8 or so, we saw a particularly vicious dog leg section, n went straight for that area of tall grass and bushes. we went in w/ wedges, n i swear we each came out with 30+ brand new, expensive balata balls. we played the rest of the course from the whites (hell, i would've played the reds) and drank the beer cart dry...

Maxlove

29/6/08
Actually, I must confess that it was my 2nd Ace. The first being on the 196 yard 2nd hole at the Hilton Pointe South Mountain about 14 years ago with a 5 iron. Funny, The marshal was also in attendance that day and when I finished the round, they gave me a sweet little plaque that I still have somewhere. The best thing about this one was my son watching and being kinda of proud of his dad. I envy you young studs that can play as often as you like. For me, it is an ordeal full of pain.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
For the last 3 years I have been working 6 months a year on a 28 day on 28 day off schedule. At one point I was playing twice to three times a week while off. The problem in Southern Louisiana is that playing year round is difficult in the late spring through early fall because the humidity is 90% plus. I am moving to Phoenix in August and except for July and August scorching temperatures I am looking forward to playing on the numerous courses in and around the area. With my schedule, when I am off, every day is Saturday.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
have you Golfers seen this?

[youtube:2x3t38je]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg9GOMAB31Q[/youtube:2x3t38je]

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Maxlove said:
I envy you young studs .

Thanks Max :D It's nice to see you around.

@Guru: Wow I did not see that in the tournment..Awesome shot and that guy has a video he will cherish for a long time. He must have snuck his camera in.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Wonder what John Daly's been up to lately??? Looks like he's been out shopping for some pants :shock: :shock:

johndalypants.jpg

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Last Saturday we play a course called Lost Canyons in Simi Valley. This was one of the hardest courses we've ever played. Designed by Pete Dye. ( he should be put in jail )

If you miss the fairway on this course forget it. You can't even look for your golf ball because the rough is a rattlesnake habitat. We lost around 30 balls LoL. The slope of the course from the back tees is 149. Much too difficult.

these signs are posted in the rough
LostCanyons2009004Medium.jpg

on the par 3's you either hit the green or lose your ball :shock:
LostCanyons2009009.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
cybee said:
Wonder what John Daly's been up to lately??? Looks like he's been out shopping for some pants :shock: :shock:

I am all for trying to stand out but...Doooood, is John a gay wad or what? :D

@ Cybee, did u br8k 100? :D

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
R2D4 said:
@ Cybee, did u br8k 100? :D

yes but not by much. I am used to playing on wide open courses with flatter greens. I can only imagine what I would shoot if I played TPC at Sawgrass, where the pros are playing this weekend. A hard course is nice now and then but not as enjoyable.

jonboy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/4/09
Had my first game in 6 months yesterday, shot a 92, not bad for me that!

TAGfan

26/1/09
I was lucky enough to get out of the house yesterday for my first round of the year. I was pleasantly surprised, likely because I was able to hold my expectations from the round in check.

I shot an 88, but that includes a triple on 15, a medium length par 3 that I totally screwed from the start.

Maybe I should get some of the Gatorade Tiger... :D

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
TAGfan said:
I was lucky enough to get out of the house yesterday for my first round of the year. I was pleasantly surprised, likely because I was able to hold my expectations from the round in check.

I shot an 88, but that includes a triple on 15, a medium length par 3 that I totally screwed from the start.

I did horrible this weekend, shooting a 105. I did not have any scores higher than an 8. Next time your in the psychological melt down mode, use your putter. Think I am crazy, try it. I tee'd off with a 2 iron and used my mallet putter the remainder of the hole, I got a 7 on a Par 5. :D Sometimes you have to think outside the box and manufacture a decent score. :lol:

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
jonboy said:
Had my first game in 6 months yesterday, shot a 92, not bad for me that!

Not bad indeed. I would trade you my 105 in heartbeat. :D

TAGfan

26/1/09
R2D4 said:
TAGfan said:

I did horrible this weekend, shooting a 105. I did not have any scores higher than an 8. Next time your in the psychological melt down mode, use your putter. Think I am crazy, try it. I tee'd off with a 2 iron and used my mallet putter the remainder of the hole, I got a 7 on a Par 5. :D Sometimes you have to think outside the box and manufacture a decent score. :lol:

I don't know that I have the guts to try that. But I would do so with a 7 iron.

Early in the year I just keep the driver in the bag and go with the 3 wood. It makes for a much more enjoyable round...and saves me having to pick up the pieces of a destroyed driver on the 6th hole.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
cybee said:
Anyone looking for a new golf bag. A Patek golf bag on FleaBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PATEK-PHILIPPE-ORIG ... 7C294%3A50

750 USD :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: too much for me.He is a scammer :D
I need a new one, got a Bennington 2 years ago and it is not black anymore and the zippers are broken.
Nice bag, but my next one will be Ogio.

One year ago on our famost Mens Golf tournament the first price was a Maybach Goldbag, sponsored from Meredes Benz. The winner with HCP 36 sold it in Ebay for 4000 Euro.....

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
guru said:
[
750 USD :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: too much for me.He is a scammer :D

Yes I agree. I don't think it is officially endorsed bag. It just looks like a regular bag with the Patek writing on it. Nothing else special about it. I bought my Titleist bag for $125, now I'm ready for a different bag.