• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Super Sea-Dweller Review / Franken Project Q5?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I fixed my clasp! It was easy.
I took the link apart and replaced the side that had the broken screw.

:thumbsup:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I just had her tested without doing the epoxy mod on the HEV.

SDPressureTest.jpg

I do recommend testing your own. Mine might be a lucky. :)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Thanks tommy! It passed the pool test today also :)

Americano

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/5/10
Curiosity

A curiosity. Does the valve works in th:headdesk:ese watch?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09

It does not work as it should. I didn't seal the HEV and it is water tight though.:wacko:

If you own one, make sure to have it tested if you want to get it wet.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
Does the valve look like the one on the GEN ?

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06
Does the valve look like the one on the GEN ?

Yes, it does.
...It´s the latest model of the Sea-Dweller tho..the one without lugholes, that came with the Titanium He Valve...the earlier versions (until 2002) doesn´t have Titanium ones, just steel ones, and also have lugholes.

GEN for reference:
valve.jpg

Cheers,
Spirit.

JellyJoe

28/9/09

You wont need a working Hev in the water, mate. Infact, unless you are a saturation diver using decompression chambers you'll never use a Hev at all.

countit

22/5/10
Guys-

Can you give me advice on this watch. Is there a newer, more updated version than this one from Timeshops? Or, is this the best that is out there right now?

Thank you for the advice.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Just sent her to Jackjo for CG trim and WM insert shave.
I'll post pics when it's back. :q5:

ostatecowboy67

Known Member
28/7/10
Q5? I was in contact with Mark last night to order my twin watch like yours, and I asked him what gauage the stainless steel was. He said that he didn't know. Do you happen to know which gauge it is? Also, I asked about the 100m waterproof listed on the site and he said that the factory told him that, but they don't recommend swimming in it or diving in it. Did you have to do anything to waterproof your model? Also, do you know if there is any difference between the watch parts on the clone 2836 and 21J except the movements (such as band, clasp, etc)? Thanks

JellyJoe

28/9/09
Hands and dial may change from 21j and 2836. Stem as well, but you wont see that.
Basic waterproofing is greasing all gaskets and O-rings and tightening caseback with a proper Bergeon wrench. As for the Hev some apparently hold decently, but I wouldnt bet a used match on diving unless you seal it with Epoxy.

fleadepot

24/7/10
Hampshire
Hands and dial may change from 21j and 2836. Stem as well, but you wont see that.
Basic waterproofing is greasing all gaskets and O-rings and tightening caseback with a proper Bergeon wrench. As for the Hev some apparently hold decently, but I wouldnt bet a used match on diving unless you seal it with Epoxy.

Really cool SD :)

Sorry for a little hijack :)

Is there anything to do with the crystall to make a watch like this water tight? I see everyone is talking about greasing the seals and epoxy sealing the HeV but no one mentioned the crystal itself.
Should the crystal be checked with the press and eventually pressed in if needed? Or eventually taken out, glued in with UV glue and sealed around with something?

JellyJoe

28/9/09
Really cool SD :)

Sorry for a little hijack :)

Is there anything to do with the crystall to make a watch like this water tight? I see everyone is talking about greasing the seals and epoxy sealing the HeV but no one mentioned the crystal itself.
Should the crystal be checked with the press and eventually pressed in if needed? Or eventually taken out, glued in with UV glue and sealed around with something?

If you have experience and wanna be extra safe with your crystal, some crystal adhesive (UV or not) would be better, but dont spill or overdose it and get the right one. Then install it evenly with a crystal press.

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/7/1119/1349.aspx

Q5, if you need noob links or screws tell me, I might have something. In case I'll just throw you the stuff, mate.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
My Jacjo modded SD is 20min away in SF. I might get it today.
R2 sent him a Gen crown to put on for me. :)

Found this pic of the Gen SD in one of Jacjo's threads. Nice crown.
coffee.gif
16600BFULL.jpg

rsh

3/4/10
I noticed the nooby sub crown does not fit the crown tube, the threads are wider on this SD rep, did the gen crown fit or did the tube need to be replaced as well ?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
It arrived today.
The Gen crown screws down perfectly on the rep tube.

Mods done by Jackjo:

WM insert sanded
CG's shaved
Gen crown installed
Bracelet polished an lubed

DSC02981.jpg

DSC02980.jpg

DSC02982.jpg

DSC02983.jpg

DSC02984.jpg

JC7