• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Case Polishing to restore the SHOWROOM LOOK!!

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
For the benefit of the community ,i just got to bump thsi post!!!

Bump!!

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
this is a good tutorial post. But I am still having some questions.

With the different colour polishing bars, do I go through each one to get a progressively finer polish, or do I go straight to the green one for stainless steel polishing?

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
I think what they say directly is to go straight to the green one...

debug77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/1/09
Nice tutorial, thanks for posting it. I think I may have to go the dremel route too, rather than the polishing machine. I was actually wondering what would be best for polishing as my Meguiars Car Polisher is a tad too big :D

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
this kind of thread is exactly why RWI is the best rep watch forum of them all.
excellent info by the most knowledgeable out there.
thanks all!

fredp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/09
Nice tutotrial !
I did it with a dremel and respect all your steps !
I have an almost new watch now ;)

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
The only time I got a pure mirror finish, with absolutely no tiny scratches, was when I learnt how to use the correct compounds and wheels.

2 questions here
1) should I put tape over the crystal or it'll be OK?
2) Help a guy who's not too tool savvy. Which dremel, which head, and which polishing compound?
Thx

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
for the crystal, if it is sapphire it is ok, however, it will be a good idea to remove the crytal first.

for the second qn i think you pm demonslayer would be better, although i am the op, this was taken of the internet..

VB_Spike

Renowned Member
23/7/09
*sigh* if only I had an ultrasonic cleaner...one piece of equip im missing.

DemonSlayer

Known Member
3/12/07
2) Help a guy who's not too tool savvy. Which dremel, which head, and which polishing compound?
Thx
I use 3 compounds (I have a 4th for a ultra high mirror polish, but don't need it with the results I'm getting).

The colors (in order of use) are green, blue and pink. They have different levels of "cutting/polishing". I also use a seperate wheel for each compound, and all 3 wheels are different. The wheel for the green compound is the hardest of the 3, and the wheel for the pink compound is very soft, used for finishing.

You can use any rotary tool which has at least 5000 rpm. Perhaps slighly lower would work, mine has a control for varying the speed which is even better. It didn't cost much, about £15 if I remember correctly. You only need to use a little compound at a time, if you use too much it wont polish properly. The idea is to use a little (touch the compound with the spinning wheel for 1 second) and then polish, and then re-apply the compound freequently.

It takes a bit of practice but you will get the hang of it, your polishing technique will also improve over time, resulting in a pure mirror finish with little or no swirls/marks.

Good luck :)

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
saw it before, need to get those parts........ anyone know where to buy the plastic film on the www? and the compound, I have some different ones and those common cotton wheels for my fremel, but I always end up with tiny scratches in the surface anyway.....